VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The PC staff roll lists
Code:
[Music and Sounds / Sound Team jdk]
Hayato Sonoda
Wataru Ishibashi
Takahide Murayama
Yet the PSP port, which supposedly uses the same music, has:
Code:
[Music Composers / Sound Team jdk]
Hayato Sonoda
Takahiro Unisuga
Saki Momiyama
Masanori Osaki
I wonder why the difference?

And then there is Yukihiro Jindo...
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:40 PM

Falcom only lists current employees for their staff rolls. It doesn't matter if it's a port or not; they only list the current members of Falcom Sound Team jdk.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:14 AM

Same with Dark Revenant, Zwei '08, Gurumin (which interestingly lists Ishikawa) and probably others.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:07 PM

Wow, nothing could make less sense than 厳格なる. なる, naru, is supposed to change things. So, it's making the fighting spirit... rigid? Rigorous? And then naru can also just randomly not change things like in 聖なる (seen in the FFIX OST for example), which just means holy or sacred. Nothing's changed there >_>

Just trying to figure out how 厳格なる means to steel. I dunno, I guess some of these names seem a little weird to me... like 109: 漆黒 is "black as the night"? 118: 哀愁 is "tearful"? 203: 慈悲 is love? The track name, 慈悲の祈り, actually results in "The Prayers for Mercy" on a Google search. Also I'm going to change the names of places and such to match the English names, they don't make any sense right now.

EDIT: Also aaaah 封印の__ can be "sealed ___" but can ___の封印 really be "sealed ___" the whole thing is so backwards
EDIT 2: And 朝 isn't sunrise especially because Adol doesn't depart at sunrise, it's well into morning (which is what 朝 is)
Oh and also most of these scans are technically for the Perfect Collection but that's kind of a messy situation.

Last edited by Hellacia; Jul 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:22 AM

Maybe this will help

http://vgmdb.net/db/covers-full.php?id=109528
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:48 AM

Thanks, but not at all, actually. That's from XSEED, the company that made the English versions of the game for PSP and PC (Steam). The coincidence that something released in 2010 pretty much flat-out duplicates translations going back to 2005 is just too much. That they have things like Beasts as Black as Night even though 漆黒 really just means "jet-black" (no real comparison or mention of the night anywhere), Searing Struggle even though 灼熱 is very typically "scorching" (and could also be any number of other synonyms), and then of course Steeling the Will to Fight, which no two different people could ever come up with given the Japanese characters... They most likely just took pre-existing translations and altered them a little.

Of course, I don't know if this means we want to mirror that tracklist now, since it's somewhat "official", but... I'd still like some help on 116. I get "Rigorous Fighting Spirit" from it. Shit's impossible
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Wow, nothing could make less sense than 厳格なる. なる, naru, is supposed to change things. So, it's making the fighting spirit... rigid? Rigorous? And then naru can also just randomly not change things like in 聖なる (seen in the FFIX OST for example), which just means holy or sacred. Nothing's changed there >_>
In this case, なる doesn't mean "to become", but "to be". In other words, it's making 厳格 into an adjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia
EDIT: Also aaaah 封印の__ can be "sealed ___" but can ___の封印 really be "sealed ___" the whole thing is so backwards
It would be "Seal of the ____", but that's an especially awkward construction in English, and should be avoided when possible. "Sealed ____" would be okay in some circumstances.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
In this case, なる doesn't mean "to become", but "to be". In other words, it's making 厳格 into an adjective.
Ah, okay. Then maybe I'm onto something with "rigorous fighting spirit", though I think that sounds kind of weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
It would be "Seal of the ____", but that's an especially awkward construction in English, and should be avoided when possible. "Sealed ____" would be okay in some circumstances.
But "Seal of the Time" makes sense and isn't awkward at all. For の to modify the word it precedes doesn't make any sense, does it? If this were 封印の時, then の would be modifying 封印, the seal. But it's 時の封印, so の is modifying 時, time. Unless you can just do anything you want when の is around, I'm still kinda confused on this one. This track should be called "The Seal of Time", nowhere in 時の封印 was there ever an action of something being sealed, it's two different things: time, and a mark/stamp/seal.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:59 PM

About the seal of time song, it plays in the clock tower of valestein castle, pre boss battle. This clock tower needs statues put below it to unlock an ancient being elsewhere. Probably doesn't really help.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
But "Seal of the Time" makes sense and isn't awkward at all. For の to modify the word it precedes doesn't make any sense, does it? If this were 封印の時, then の would be modifying 封印, the seal. But it's 時の封印, so の is modifying 時, time. Unless you can just do anything you want when の is around, I'm still kinda confused on this one. This track should be called "The Seal of Time", nowhere in 時の封印 was there ever an action of something being sealed, it's two different things: time, and a mark/stamp/seal.
"Sealed Time" does not contain a verb; it's a state of being modifying time. It's not a direct or an especially good translation, so "Seal of Time" would certainly be preferable. 封印の時 would be "Time of the Seal" or "Time of Sealing".

But say it was 砂漠の封印. There is something sealed in the desert. In this case, you could use "Seal of the Desert", but that sounds bad, so "Desert Seal" would be better and more idiomatic.

[/Grammar Nazi]
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Should note that most/all of the translations on this album are inherited from the translations of Ys III that have been around for forever and a half. (Note that I'm not saying that means they're good translations or anything.)

Quote:
That they have things like Beasts as Black as Night even though 漆黒 really just means "jet-black" (no real comparison or mention of the night anywhere)
If your condition is that 漆黒 doesn't really mean "black as night" because it doesn't literally include the word for "night," then it doesn't really mean "jet-black" either because it also doesn't include the word for "jet" (黒玉). "Jet-black" = "black as jet." They're exactly as figurative.

"Black as night" is kind of flowery, but as far as expressing the concept of a deep black, there's nothing particularly wrong with it unless you're being excessively literal.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:33 PM

Well, maybe I was also nitpicking on it because I really don't think time is sealed in the clock tower. This is one of the few games I've played. Not like "seal of time" makes much more sense, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
If your condition is that 漆黒 doesn't really mean "black as night" because it doesn't literally include the word for "night," then it doesn't really mean "jet-black" either because it also doesn't include the word for "jet" (黒玉). "Jet-black" = "black as jet." They're exactly as figurative.
Ahaha, wow, I stupidly didn't even think of that. That's a really good point.

Yeah, I figure that these translations are really old, they still had some wrongly romanized names like Ilberns and Varestein - usually the mark that they're pretty old
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:58 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'll check later if I remember, but I seem to recall there being some inconsistencies in the games/albums themselves of how the place names have been romanized. (Who can forget "THEME OF ADORU"?)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:26 AM
VGMdb Advisor

For Xなる, you could think of it as an older form of the Xな adjective, not really a verb. There are rules but more or less (this kind of adjective was wrongly translated in many old tracklists)
While "to become" is usually Xなる or some other particle in between.

So 厳格なる闘志 = "strict, stern, rigorous (adj)" fighting spirit

時の封印 Seal of Time, Time Seal, and so on.
慈悲 I agree mercy (compassion) is more appropriate.
朝 morning, sure.
漆黒 CHz already covered.

Also:
1.14 死神=Death God always seems kind of dumb in English, I propose Reaper instead
1.15 maybe "Brief/fleeting Dream"
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:47 PM

If other names of Death things are required.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_deity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopomp
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:14 PM

sorry but shinigami isn't a psychopomp and there is no word for it in jap except a way to tell it like a person guiding souls in the afterlife (I don't count サイコポンプ because it's made from a foreign word, not from kanjis)
honestly the use of shinigami in anime/manga is perverted and abused for some "cool" reasons
shinigami is Death (with a capital letter) that's all, or as dag said
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Composition:
Mieko Ishikawa: 1.01-10, 1.12-16, 1.18, 2.02-04, 2.08-11, 2.13-16
Masaaki Kawai: 1.11, 1.17, 2.01, 2.05-07, 2.12
says 2.05 Chop!! is Masaaki.

According to http://raborak.com/saladedemais/falc...omposers-songs , Chop!! is Mieko.

According to http://vgmdb.net/album/1147 (no source?), Chop is Masaako.

What's correct?

Last edited by yindesu; Jan 19, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:53 AM

Okay, if anybody can be a stickler for details regarding title names, it's me, but... really? Putting "Original Sound Track" first? That just seems overboard. I can name a couple other albums we'd have to do this with off the top of my head - Breath of Fire Special Box and Magna Carta Sound Track - and if we do this to everything, it's going to look dumb and screw up the alphabetization.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yindesu View Post
says 2.05 Chop!! is Masaaki.

According to http://raborak.com/saladedemais/falc...omposers-songs , Chop!! is Mieko.

According to http://vgmdb.net/album/1147 (no source?), Chop is Masaako.

What's correct?
All the extra tracks composed for the X-68K release were composed by Masaaki, that includes 'Chop!!'.

The Perfect Collection version is so awesome.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 07:33 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Okay, if anybody can be a stickler for details regarding title names, it's me, but... really? Putting "Original Sound Track" first? That just seems overboard. I can name a couple other albums we'd have to do this with off the top of my head - Breath of Fire Special Box and Magna Carta Sound Track - and if we do this to everything, it's going to look dumb and screw up the alphabetization.
I'm agreed.
Old May 1, 2013, 08:39 PM

If Patrick Gann agrees with me, then I must be right, so I changed it.

Actually I'm just failing at finding some humor, I changed it because... c'mon.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:21 PM

I think that could be made for all falcom ost/sav
btw, obi doesn't have -1,2 in its cat.no
Old May 1, 2013, 10:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The discs have -1~2 on them, but they also say NW10102650, not NW10102660 like the obi.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:47 PM

doesn't change the fact NW10102660 is on the obi, on shops and on official falcom site

that NW10102650 probably comes from some un-updated computer manipulation (the guy forgot to update it and whatnot)
as for -1,2, it's just because it has 2 cds, I don't even know why that has appeared (probably another wrong manip)

edit: I want for proof that it still has perfect collection logo on the back cover

Last edited by Phonograph; May 1, 2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 03:47 PM

Is it Valestine, or Valestein? *confuzzled*

I am extremely knowledgable on ALL THINGS Ys and LUNAR. If you have a question about either series, ASK AWAY! I will answer it to the best of my ability!

Old Mar 10, 2014, 04:13 PM
Trusted Editor

Should be Valestein Castle, but for some reason, majority of the different versions of the track is named Varestain Castle.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 03:00 AM

I could swear that in the English version of Ys III on the TurboGrafx, it was spelled "Valestine". Then again, I haven't played the game in 20 years, so my recollection could be off.
Old May 14, 2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhane Masaki View Post
Is it Valestine, or Valestein? *confuzzled*
The "Valestine" spelling decision goes back to NEC Technologies and their 1991 US localization of "Ys III: Wanderers from Ys" for the TurboGrafx-CD system. Crash is correct on that.

"Valestein" on the other hand is Falcom's last spelling decision on the 2005 PC release of Felghana. I can't really call it "Engrish" as it works either way (theirs or NEC's). Anyhow, given that this XSEED Games also maintained this spelling in all their recent US game releases and soundtracks, one would have to choose that as the best US localized standard and update any old translations (especially blatant "Engrish" ones like "Varustein" or whatever) to it.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 06:48 AM

Is the composer breakdown correct here?