VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 23, 2014, 07:29 AM

Dissident 93 responded to me that he/she doesn't have the liner notes (he/she filled in the track lengths from a rip). Can someone who does please fill them in?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 09:18 AM

Just got my copy. It doesn't appear to list anywhere which tracks are remastered and which are not. If I'm not mistaken however, basically everything is remastered except: Hikari and Passion Orchestral versions, Another Side, KH2 and Days Dearly Beloved, March and Caprice, Fantasia alla marcia, and Utada Hikaru's songs.

Edit: Days' Dearly Beloved is clearly remastered what was I thinking.

Last edited by Lvng; Dec 28, 2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvng View Post
Just got my copy. It doesn't appear to list anywhere which tracks are remastered and which are not. If I'm not mistaken however, basically everything is remastered except: Hikari and Passion Orchestral versions, Another Side, KH2 and Days Dearly Beloved, March and Caprice, Fantasia alla marcia, and Utada Hikaru's songs.
Yep, that's pretty much what I noticed as well.

I added the linear notes, but I excluded Yoko Shimomura's comment since I can't translate it, her little "Thank you xyz...", and I just listed people in order with commas rather than the top/down style the book used (mostly) since it looked really messy when I did that here. I also looked over the tracklist looking at little things like stylization and capital letters and fixed it up so it's in line with the booklet. Notably I removed the "-Bonus Track-" from the respective track names as the booklet doesn't include that in the name of those tracks, it simply lists that above the tracks to say they're bonus tracks. If nobody adds the linear notes from 2.5 then I guess I will another time.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
Strangely though, on that second disc of the FFIV remaster for which they sent out replacements, some of the previously unreleased fanfare tracks fade out unnecessarily since they come to real ends. That was at least as big an error as the issue with "Dancing Calcobrena" and it didn't get fixed even when the opportunity arose. And the fake "hi-res" on their Blu-rays is somewhat bothersome especially when they put out end products with totally avoidable clipping.

I mean, I'm pleased they release so many soundtracks and treat their composers right and have been at the forefront in the promotion of game music since the days of the second Final Fantasy. But their soundtrack releases haven't always been spotless and this seems like such a minor error to go to so much trouble for.
I can't personally speak for FFIV as I wasn't involved in that project, but shit happens. I don't want to speculate about the inability to get a clean solution for this, but there's hearsay (and not from the same contacts that we work with for our contract work, either).

On topic, I just finished adding liner notes for 2.5 standalone. As my 1.5+2.5 package won't be arriving any time soon, if someone else wants to cannibalize that entry to fill out the rest of the liner notes for the box set (I believe it's mostly the same except changed disc/track numbers for e.g. writing credits etc) be my guest in the meantime.

Please take note that 2.5 standalone's liner had a misprint in one name ("Henq Han Hou" should be "Heng Han Hou") and I'm not sure if this mistake is also there in the 1.5+2.5 box set.

Also I noticed a potential typo in the entry - Mastering Engineer Yauji Yasman Maeda should be "Yasuji" (it is printed this way in the 2.5 standalone, at least. Not sure if it's a mistake in print on the other versions, or a honest typo in the entry)

edit: All 3 entries (1.5, 2.5, 1.5+2.5 box set) need their composers, arrangers, performers, etc. edited. I'll get around to that after the new year's if no one has.

Last edited by Falk; Dec 29, 2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 04:16 AM

About the mono track (#31) in KH 1.5 ReMIX 2nd disc, SQEX apologized for the mistake and launched (God knows the quantities) "new" copies of KH 1.5 ReMIX OST and KH 1.5 & 2.5 ReMIX OST BOX. They are identified by a round white sticker at the back of the packages. Also, a little star is seen printed along with the catalog number in the CD border.

The only store you can know for sure that has these copies is otaku.com (although it only has the KH 1.5 ReMIX OST one). Play-asia has a pre-owned KH 1.5 & 2.5 ReMIX OST BOX labeled as "fix audio CD". Couldn't find any other sites that are selling "the round white sticker at the back of the package" versions.

Last edited by franzito; Jan 19, 2015 at 04:34 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvng View Post
If I'm not mistaken however, basically everything is remastered except: Hikari and Passion Orchestral versions, Another Side, KH2 and Days Dearly Beloved, March and Caprice, Fantasia alla marcia, and Utada Hikaru's songs.

Edit: Days' Dearly Beloved is clearly remastered what was I thinking.
As I'm playing KH 1.5 right now and since the screen music (Dearly Beloved) I noticed the differences between the original and the remixed tracks, I must say that some are more noticeable than others (they added guitars in Bustin' Up on the Beach but that only made this amazing track better than ever ).

Last edited by franzito; Jan 19, 2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:16 PM

Can someone help me out with track disc2-23 "HIKARI -KINGDOM HEARTS Instrumental Version-"? I feel this is originally composed by Utada Hikaru, and this arrangement is done by Yoko Shimomura?

Last edited by Ciel; Feb 4, 2019 at 12:08 AM.