VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:49 PM

Default What to use on the ARTIST tag when tagging?

This is something that has been bugging me for a while now, and I thought it could be nice to hear other opinions on the matter.
Imagine you have an album that credits an artist as an alias or just the unit he/she belongs to: what do you think should be put on the artist tag, if her/his identity is confirmed 100%?
Let's look at a good example: Castlevania 1. We know it was done by Kinuyo Yamashita, yet she's credited as James Banana in the game. Now take an album like Akumajo Dracula Best, and when tagging it you encounter 3 options:
- Kinuyo Yamashita; not "officially" credited on the original material yet confirmed from other sources.
- James Banana as credited in the game.
- Konami Kukeiha Club: as credited on the album booklet.

In my case, even though a bit strict, I'd probably settle for Kukeiha Club because that's credit from the album, but I don't know; I would also use Yamashita if it's known to be truelly her. Another case would be if I were to tag a game rip; in that case it would either James Banana or Kinuyo Yamashita.

What would be you choice?

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Sep 22, 2010, 01:27 PM
Trusted Editor

I'd choose the official information and put everything else into the comment tag.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:10 AM

I'd probably choose the official information too, and keep it consistent, whether gamerip or whatever. For me it's easier that way, plus it kinda forces me to "learn" who composed which game, in the case of Kukeiha, JDK etc.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 01:15 PM

I usually go with what's written on the Cover/Booklet of the album (even if there are typos of some sort). For example, I've credited the ALUNDRA Soundtrack to Kohei Tanaka, although I could use Kouhei Tanaka... That's what the "manufacturer(s)" of the album chose, I guess I should stick with it.

In case of a Game-Rip, I try to find out who composed the music... But when I fail in doing so (or there is more than a composer) I simply fill the field with the developer... Not the best choice, but I like to have each track credited to its composer, plus it's a way to remember who did what
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Sep 26, 2010 at 01:20 PM.

Tags
artists, tagging