VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:33 AM

Why is this band never listed on any credits? While I understand the members (chelly and ryo) are properly credited, it seems weird to not mention this band in anything but the title of the album.

Take Stereopony, for example. The members are properly credited as well as the band itself.

If there is a good reason behind this decision, I would like to hear and discuss it.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:38 AM
VGMdb Staff

Same with supercell (ryo again)
http://vgmdb.net/artist/11932
And btw keeping these empty pages is... Is it so needed? (totally certain the answer is yes, it's needed heh)

If anything, this unit was formed for the Guilty Crown anime but obviously they continued with work outside of that show.

Last edited by Efendija; Mar 11, 2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:59 AM
VGMdb Staff

Because supercell and EGOIST aren't really bands in the traditional sense. It's just ryo writing songs for a vocalist of his choice. No permanent performers in the group. I suppose it could be linked so it appears as "EGOIST (chelly)" or "supercell (Koeda)" in the performer field but it doesn't really seem right that way considering the band's name is never credited in the booklet with anywhere. Not even just to say "EGOIST is ryo(supercell) and chelly" or whatever.

The empty pages are only really there so they appear on the involved artist's profile pages but even that could be added to the notes field or something if that's preferred.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:11 PM
VGMdb Staff

Putting some minimalistic explanation in the notes about both supercell and Egoist on ryo's page would make sense (to me), let the notes be useful for once. And a link to Egoist page (since supercell's is already on his page). That's about it. Better than keeping two empty pages with little to no purpose. But do what you will.

Last edited by Efendija; Mar 11, 2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 03:52 PM

Hmm, I looked into the credits and I came out with a mixed stance. I think there are three main routes VGMdb can take with this.

1. Currently, we're trying to be consistent and treat supercell/EGOIST as a special type of band, almost like a doujin circle (which makes sense, given supercell's beginnings). Normally, a circle is credited through the publisher field. However, since supercell actually has an official music label, the term "supercell" unfortunately vanishes from the credits.

2. The second way to treat this is to be completely faithful with accreditation. In the Psycho-pass OST booklets, the credits are given to EGOIST, with lyrics, music, and arrangement given to ryo. However, in the bakemonogatari complete soundtracks, the performer credits are given to nagi. If we were trying to be faithful to the booklet/credits as much as possible, we should credit EGOIST on the psycho-pass ost but ignore supercell's credits on the bakemonogatari soundtracks. Basically, there would be some inconsistencies with how we treat the artists, but it's explained by having the hard rule that VGMdb is 100% accurate to the credits given.

3. The third option would be to include supercell and egoist credits on all supecell/egoist albums. I think having "EGOIST (chelly)" is a lot more useful to the average VGMdb user. In fact, one reason I decided to start this discussion was because I wanted to see "supercell" albums. Going through ryo's page or a combination nagi/koeda page wasn't intuitive to me. However, if we had "supercell (nagi)", that wouldn't be exactly true to the credits.

As an aside to this option: we would have to decide what to do with supercell's early albums that actually are published under supercell. Should there be supercell credits on these albums? Probably not.

Personally, I'm leaning toward option 3, but I can't speak for what VGMdb wants to do as a site. If not 3, then 2. I definitely sense something wrong with how the psycho-pass credits are handled since EGOIST is actually credited there (I assume that the EGOIST psychopass singles are also credited as EGOIST, but there weren't any booklets there. I know in the show's credits, the credits are given to EGOIST).
Old Mar 12, 2014, 03:48 AM
VGMdb Staff

^There are scans for Psycho-Pass singles:
http://vgmdb.net/album/35317
http://vgmdb.net/album/36951

I'm only against empty artist pages, if there's a way to credit Egoist somehow (and this page stops being empty) that would be really good.

The problem is the quasi-band nature of this unit (sorry if the expression offends anyone) and the fact Egoist was nothing more than just another anime-specific fictional unit (in Guilty Crown)...

I did talk about Discogs too much (maybe) lately, but there's a nice little solution, at least I see it like that, Egoist is one way or another something close to album artist and Discogs has album artists clickable in album titles, like this (so it is credited somehow):
http://www.discogs.com/Egoist-Depart.../master/645844

Oh and that number 4 there simply means it's the fourth different artist registered as Egoist; e.g. if there's an artist Jack Jackson but later another one comes with the same name but is a different person he'll become Jack Jackson (2) and so on, it's how Discogs works.

Last edited by Efendija; Mar 12, 2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 05:01 AM

unit?
I thought it was just a girl singing here and there in the anime (guilty crown)
sort of "internet/youtube" artist
Old Mar 12, 2014, 05:28 AM
VGMdb Staff

It was that, honestly XD
Just a fictional girl character that is "vocalist" in fictional band/unit/whatever you want to call it. Guilty Crown in-universe thing.

Real people are there of course (ryo, chelly), but "Egoist" thing is so fiction based. The thing which is outside of GC now.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
^There are scans for Psycho-Pass singles:
http://vgmdb.net/album/35317
http://vgmdb.net/album/36951
Ah, thanks, I missed those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
I did talk about Discogs too much (maybe) lately, but there's a nice little solution, at least I see it like that, Egoist is one way or another something close to album artist and Discogs has album artists clickable in album titles, like this (so it is credited somehow):
http://www.discogs.com/Egoist-Depart.../master/645844
I like this solution. Honestly, I don't know the database structure of this site well enough to know how hard this is.

Do editors manually put in hyperlinks? Or is this some kind of advanced relational database that allows you to link to parts of a string?