VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
That would be a localization, and while there is nothing wrong with that, since the music test only has 86 tracks and this album has 136 tracks, that leaves some tracks entirely without a localization, at which point you have to either attempt to localize the rest yourself (by attempting to follow the same formatting conventions and using localized names) or you have to have 60% localized and 40% not, which just looks strange.
Yeah, I was more or less referring to something like what the Fire Emblem Fates OST has.

As for an example of what I was talking about, "Shiveria Town" would become "Shiveria: Town". It's a minor change but I feel it might look nicer. We'd change the current tracklist to "English (Literal)", or something along those lines.

Last edited by MBgov1133; Mar 15, 2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
That would be a localization, and while there is nothing wrong with that, since the music test only has 86 tracks and this album has 136 tracks, that leaves some tracks entirely without a localization, at which point you have to either attempt to localize the rest yourself (by attempting to follow the same formatting conventions and using localized names) or you have to have 60% localized and 40% not, which just looks strange.

I lean more towards the first option (trying to localize to the best of your ability the tracks that are not localized), as long as you can comment and justify the 50 unlisted tracks you try to localize. It's also going to require you to match up the audio from the Music List to the album to make sure they're actually the same track.

The issue with the previous localization was the inconsistency with which it was localized. Some tracks from the music list were completely omitted, some tracks were changed, some were formatted seemingly arbitrarily. Overall it was just wildly inconsistent. Someone can surely do better, but I'd strongly recommend commenting and justifying so other people can review it given how contentious/popular this album has been (for editing)
I agree! I use YOU GOT A MULTI MOON! because that's the North American name so, having a localized version is a great idea.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 02:26 PM

Alright, so here's my attempt at a fully localized tracklist for this OST. Where applicable, I've used titles exactly as they appear in the in-game Music List (for the North American version). As for the other titles, I basically went with the thought, "How would these be titled if they had been included in the Music List too?"

Also, I've made the (possibly dubious) decision to remove everything after a "~" mark simply because in the Music List, the same was done. So when we have a track title like "Bowser Battle 1 ~Nimbus Cloud Battlefield~", the Music List just puts it as "Bowser Battle 1." It's for this reason that I changed instances such as "Opening ~In the Skies above Peach's Castle~" as simply "Opening" since that's likely how the Music List would indicate it if it were there. (Honestly, the in-game Music List seems brief almost to a fault.) Let me know if any of you disagree with this idea!

Without further ado, here we go:

Spoiler:

DISC 1
1. Title
2. Opening
3. Encounter with Cappy
4. Bonneton
5. Caves
6. Broodals Showdown
7. Broodals Battle
8. The Adventure Begins
9. Fossil Falls
10. YOU GOT A MOON! 1
11. Fossil Falls: Dinosaur
12. Madame Broode Battle
13. Mario, World Traveler
14. Scenario Introduction 1
15. Tostarena: Ruins
16. Ruins
17. Tostarena: Night
18. Tostarena: Jaxi
19. Knucklotec Battle
20. Tostarena: Town
21. YOU GOT A MOON! 2
22. Steam Gardens
23. Steam Gardens: Sherm
24. Torkdrift Battle
25. Lake Lamode: Underwater Passage
26. Lake Lamode 1
27. Lake Lamode 2
28. Bowser's Airship Found!
29. Bowser Appears
30. Bowser Battle 1
31. Bowser's Shelling

DISC 2
1. Forgotten Isle 1
2. Forgotten Isle 2
3. Scenario Introduction 2
4. New Donk City: Night 1
5. New Donk City: Night 2
6. Mechawiggler Battle
7. YOU GOT A MULTI MOON!
8. New Donk City: Daytime
9. New Donk City (Band Performance)
10. New Donk City: Cafe
11. Subterranean 1
12. NDC Festival
13. A Traditional Festival Ends!
14. Shiveria: Town
15. Ice
16. Shiveria: Race-Course Entrance
17. Race
18. Race Results
19. Bubblaine
20. Bubblaine: Underwater
21. Mollusque-Lanceur Battle
22. Scenario Introduction 3
23. Mount Volbono
24. Mount Volbono: Town
25. Cookatiel Battle
26. Ruined Dragon Appears
27. Ruined Dragon Battle
28. Bowser's Castle 1
29. Bowser's Castle 2
30. Bowser Flies Off to the Moon
31. RoboBrood Battle

DISC 3
1. To the Next Kingdom
2. The Odyssey Goes to the Moon
3. Honeylune Ridge
4. Honeylune Ridge: Caves
5. Honeylune Ridge: Wedding Hall
6. Confrontation
7. Bowser Battle 2
8. Princess Peach Rescued...?
9. You Captured Bowser!
10. Honeylune Ridge: Collapse
11. Honeylune Ridge: Escape
12. Staff Credits
13. Peach's Castle: Grounds
14. Peach's Castle
15. Shop
16. Spinning Slots
17. RC Car
18. Climactic Duel!
19. Run, Jump, Throw! 1
20. Run, Jump, Throw! 2
21. Subterranean 2
22. Another World
23. Above the Clouds
24. NDC Festival (Music Box)
25. Fossil Falls (Music Box)
26. NDC Festival (Jump Up, Super Star!)
27. NDC Festival (Japanese)
28. Honeylune Ridge: Escape (Japanese)
29. NDC Festival (Karaoke)
30. NDC Festival (Japanese / Karaoke)
31. Honeylune Ridge: Escape (Karaoke)

DISC 4
1. Fossil Falls (8-Bit)
2. Tostarena: Ruins (8-Bit)
3. Ruins (8-Bit)
4. Tostarena: Night (8-Bit)
5. Steam Gardens (8-Bit)
6. Lake Lamode 1 (8-Bit)
7. Forgotten Isle 2 (8-Bit)
8. Run, Jump, Throw! 2 (8-Bit)
9. Subterranean 1 (8-Bit)
10. Bubblaine (8-Bit)
11. Mollusque-Lanceur Battle (8-Bit)
12. Mount Volbono (8-Bit)
13. Bowser's Castle 1 (8-Bit)
14. Honeylune Ridge (8-Bit)
15. Honeylune Ridge: Collapse (8-Bit)
16. Honeylune Ridge: Escape (8-Bit)
17. NDC Festival (8-Bit)
18. Projection Room: Above Ground
19. Projection Room: Underground
20. YOU GOT A MOON! 2 (8-Bit)
21. Dancing with New Friends
22. A Relaxing Dance
23. Rolling Canyon
24. Bowser's Castle: Main Courtyard Entrance
25. You Captured a Frog!
26. The Odyssey is Restored!
27. The Odyssey has Powered Up!
28. Sparkle Water Released
29. Moon Rock Released
30. New Costume Added!
31. The Broodals!
32. Madame Broode Appears
33. Klepto Appears
34. Mollusque-Lanceur Enraged
35. Cookatiel Appears
36. Starting Position
37. Final Lap!
38. Victory!
39. Too Bad...
40. CONGRATULATIONS!
41. Tostarena: Investigation
42. Bubblaine: Melancholy
43. Shiveria: Blizzard

Last edited by Rew; Mar 26, 2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 06:08 AM

So if there are no objections, I'll just go ahead and submit the above as the English localized tracklist?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
So if there are no objections, I'll just go ahead and submit the above as the English localized tracklist?
The idea was to only use the localisations that were directly the same as the Japanese title, not the full localised tracklist.

For example, we shouldn't submit a tracklist where "Break Free (Lead the Way)" is titled as "Honeylune Ridge: Escape", since that's just incorrect.

I was suggesting we pick and choose the tracks which had the same English "localised" title as the official Japanese name, if that makes sense at all.

EDIT: It was more the difference between titles such as "Shiveria Town" and "Shiveria: Town" that I was after.

Last edited by MBgov1133; Apr 1, 2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Very strange to see a both karaoke version of "Jump Up, Super Star!" and "Jump Up, Super Star! ~オデッセイでっせい~" (D3M29,30) since they are identical songs...? Obviously the vocal versions are different because one is in English and the other is in Japanese, but I'm not sure why they would include the same karaoke track twice.
The karaoke tracks retain the background vocals, which differ.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:34 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Tags for everything would be ideal, imo. This is, after all, a database, and what good is a database that only has a limited/selective amount of information? The more, the better. There would be a few downstream issues with that, though.

- Should it display in the Album Info Bit section with the rest of the primary album information (catalogue number, release date, composer/arranger/performer?)? I'm not really for or against it but the more we add, the busier it gets.

- Your note that there are 75,000 entries in the DB means there's a ton of existing albums that would have to be reviewed and updated. Not necessarily a bad thing but with the limited time and limited group of admins/staff/trusted editors, probably an impossible task. Not ideal, but you could always just implement it "going forward" and then touch old(er) things up as needed/as noticed. It's a bit optimistic and perhaps unrealistic to expect database entries to be truly "complete". The data in this (and any) database is really a living, breathing entity that constantly changes over time.

- Someone will need to make a determination on what to roll up into one tag, or whether to roll up at all. For example, are "Music Director", "Sound Director", or "... Producer" the same thing? If so, do you use a single tag or do you just have unique tags across the board? My preference would be unique tags. It allows infinite artists to be assigned infinite roles. But that is assuming the schema supports it, which I am not familiar with. A lot of stuff on the site feels static, at least on the frontend of things.

- Users entering the information may not enter it, either from a reluctance to link so many artists manually, or from just not having the information available at the time of add/edit (i.e., they're just adding it from a web source or something that isn't the physical product sitting in front of them).

Personally, I don't often add artists that aren't composer/arranger/performer because there is no quick, easy way to do it. Adding things like Conductor or Engineers is just painful. More so when I do it and the DB is slow. Triple so when I have to go back and edit/remove incorrect artists and have to type DELETE in for every single thing I might need to remove. I imagine if a Producer or Director role was added it'd fall into the same category (for me). This is mostly a UI/UX issue which is a probably a larger topic for discussion, but it is certainly a factor in something like this.

It is also, to me, not an important "core" data element, it's a "nice-to-have" ancillary data point. The "core" data elements for an album are "What is it", "When was it released", "where can I buy it", "who are the major artists on it [composer/arranger/performer]", and the album info dump of insert data.
4 years later, all this & more is actually being realized & going into effect.