VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 3, 2015, 09:45 AM

Wow. My romaji transliteration is horrible now that I look at it. I'll have to revise that.

This English translation honestly isn't much better - unsurprising, as I'm far from fluent in Japanese. There's some puns I either mangled or tried way too hard to translate, others that I wasn't quite sure how to properly translate and yet others that simply stumped me. If anyone could help translate them better, please, be my guest.

Here's the names that troubled me, for one reason or another:
06: 夏来たる (Natsukitaru) - I would be okay with this if it wasn't for how it was most probably a pun on Natsuki, especially given how the song is a rearrangement of her theme. I just have no idea how I would keep this intact with the translation (without doing something like calling her Summers, which is another matter entirely, I imagine) though.
08: 経理ソフト (Keiri Soft) - I just have no idea what on Earth this could mean combined.
31: 星野戦争 (Hoshino Sensō) - It's an obvious parody of Star Wars, but it was surprisingly tough trying to translate it, especially because 星野 seems to be a given name, as opposed to a word. I was also unsure if it was chosen due to its similarity to "星の" (hoshi no; star's/stars'). There was just so many ways I could take this name, like War of the Stars, Hoshino's War... I eventually decided to try work with the original kanji, which allowed me to get a name reasonably similar to what it was clearly referencing. I'm not entirely fond of "Starfield" even now, but I just can't think of anything better.
42 and 37: I adapted 帰宅 (Kitaku) as Return Home for these two, because I just could not find another way for them to work - especially considering one of them were partially in English to begin with.
43: 夢芝居 feat.富三郎(笛) - This was somewhat hard to translate, not necessarily because of the source material but because of trying to bring it into English - Dream Play just didn't sound good to me. I ended up taking some liberties and called it Dream Theater, in (an admittedly absolutely unnecessary) homage to the band. I'm also not quite sure what instrument Tomisaburō played in particular, because '笛' seems to be a bit of a general term, like 'flute' can be in English.
I wonder who Tomisaburō is.
46: ムダカ、ムダナノカ (mudaka, mudanano ka) - This one stumped me ever since I started the romaji transliteration. My best guess is that it's simply "無駄か、無駄のか" rendered in katakana, though even then I wouldn't really know how to translate that. If anyone has a better translation, please help me on this.

I left the vocal songs intact - partially due to my incompetence and partially because people seem to keep vocal songs untouched when translating.

(It looks like there was some kind of error, and submitted the English translation twice - My apologies.)