VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 1, 2015, 04:21 AM
Trusted Editor

This album should not fall under official release nor reprint.

Let me explain this case:

1) This release is more or less a bootleg.
The official fanclub does not own copyrights for the music or material. It belongs to Columbia.
Look at the CD cover; it's nothing else than a bad photoshop of the LP cover with obi picture (around 800x600 pixels) where upper and lower parts have been poorly erased. Moreover, the guy who did that did not realized that the obi was hiding the first kanji "妖" as well as "ORIGINAL".
I won't talk much about the booklet; qualty is really poor, clearly "handmade" with copy/paste from the LP sheet. Back cover is more or less a screenshot from movie title, picture CD is pixelated, etc...
Material should come from internet, LP at best but with a bad scanning skill.
Nowhere the CD holds a copyright or a Jasrac seal. This fanclub is not registered to Jasrac; so it falls under doujin or bootleg to me.
Audio quality is really bad. It's a rip. Can hear hiss and pops all over.

2) not a reprint as well.
As strange as it seems, tracklist does not match the LP. While track names remain same, lengths are different:

01 プロローグ 4:54 (LP: 5:36)
02 闇ガード 3:22 (LP: 8:04)
03 麻紀絵 8:36 (LP: 5:08)
04 It's Not Easy 4:28 (LP: 4:43)
05 妖閉空間 3:44 (LP: 3:52)
06 妖獣 3:18 (LP: 9:05)
07 夢幻 5:32 (LP: 3:14)
08 魔道士 4:18 (LP: 6:49)
09 覚醒 5:39 (LP: 3:13)
10 Hold Me In The Shadow 4:34 (LP: 4:41)

Total length: 48:29 (LP: 54:25)

When explore CD, tracks have following names:
01 A01
02 A03+
03 A02X
04 A04
05 A05
06 B1
07 B2
08 06
09 B4
10 10

So, looks like LP rip (reference to A/B sides), tracks A2 and A3 have been switched, but nothing explains the "B side" length differences...

Avoid this release at all cost. It's not worth your money.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:59 AM

I agree with your opinion on this release. They totally messed it up and it seems they sourced this from a not-so-good quality LP. However I have ordered some of Shoji's original 70s albums from that site and they sound way better that this CD like it seems they were actually sourced from the original master tapes instead of a crappy LPrip like with Wicked City.

So I guess it's up in the air if this release should be on this site along with the SC versions of Roots Search and Digital Trip Galaxy Express 999. It's up to the mods.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 01:00 PM

I do agree though, the releases of Shoji Corp, should be on the site, at least for our own database, which is a good thing.
Shoji Corp, be it bootleg or not, at least its not a money grab bootleg, like Sonmay, Everanime and others, that only released bad cd audio burned from bad ripped cds, and color photocopies of the booklets.

Say whatever you want about bad quality of picture, but they do try to release all of Shoji works into cd, specially rare stuff. And most of times they are the ones to make a booklet. Not pretty, yes, black and white in some cds, in which at least they show their interviews with Shoji himself. Other releases of theirs, are made in better booklet material. Not only copy paste of the original sources but revised in a better organized way.

Wicked city cd release is really, perhaps the one they messed so bad.
The final cue of "Prologue" was put as beginning of "The Black Guard". Track 07 "Dreams" is not even there. This track was completely left out for some unknown reason, and "Demonic Call" is cut to half.

Now compare Shoji Corp commitment to other Bootleg labels like sonmay , everanime and such?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 01:25 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The quality doesn't really matter for classifying this as a bootleg or not, the only thing that matters is if they had the right to reprint the music or not.

As Daemonskald said they do not seem to own any rights so I would be for classifying this as bootleg as well, unless there's some info out there that says otherwise.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 01:59 PM

It's pretty hard to say because the fanclub seems to be endorsed by Shoji himself according to the site. Plus my Shoji Corp version of Welcome to the SF World has his autograph. Don't know if it's fake or not but I can't see any reason why they would want to forge his autograph especially if Shoji approves of the fanclub.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 02:07 PM
Trusted Editor

Oh, I did not say that we should not put this release on the database. No problem with that.
Quality is poor; what can I do about it. Nothing, of course. But I found it a bit pricey 2000 yen for a "homemade LP rip".
Cannot tell for their other releases.

I just wanted to give a "fair warning" to people who would consider buying that CD.