VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 20, 2009, 08:46 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Mitsuda's tracks are the highlight for me on this album. I don't really care about a lot of his post-Tsugunai stuff, but these tracks are wowmazing.
Old May 21, 2009, 03:23 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I hadn't paid attention to who composed which tracks, but it turns out that my favorite track (Town of Twilight) was composed by Mitsuda. Now I just need to finish the game, which is tedious because I put myself under so much pressure to not mess up my Judgement Wheel stats.
Old May 21, 2009, 06:04 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Mitsuda's tracks are the highlight for me on this album. I don't really care about a lot of his post-Tsugunai stuff, but these tracks are wowmazing.
Huh? There is a lot of good stuff from him that comes after an cinniùint. Let's see, we have:
- Xenosaga
- Sailing to the World
- Hako no Niwa
- Moonlit Shadow (although completly different from his usual style)
- ARMODYNE

I agree that Soma Bringer isn't the best score though
Old May 21, 2009, 08:08 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I agree with you LiquidAcid, I was disappointed by Soma Bringer. I wasn't really fond of Armodyne, although some tracks were really great. You forgot to mention Legaia 2, his contribution to this one was brilliant.

And then, there is Kirite. To me, this is Mitsuda's best work ever.

Concerning Shadow Hearts II, it is true that Mitsuda composed some of the highlights (I personally love "The Past", although it comes from the 1st Shadow Hearts, and "Astaroth"). However, Yoshitaka Hirota did an amazing job as well. I didn't realise that until I played the game (which is incredible, by the way), but his ambient work is deep and moving. Not to mention the battle themes: "Vicious 1915" and "Deep in Coma" are fantastic. Also the final ballad is the best song in the series, I think
Old May 21, 2009, 10:42 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
You forgot to mention Legaia 2, his contribution to this one was brilliant.
You mean Legaia Duel Saga? If that's the case I have to deeply agree, although I think the whole album is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
And then, there is Kirite. To me, this is Mitsuda's best work ever.
Didn't mention it because it isn't strictly game related. However you're absolutely right, it's one of his best works. I can't really decide on whether I should chose Chrono Cross or Kirite though *g*
I think I had to pick both

I haven't played even one game of the Shadow Hearts series though, so I can't really comment on the actual game.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 03:18 PM

Wrote a smaller analysis of some of the tracks on the soundtrack. Main focus was how the music enhanced and portrayed the characters/environment/mood in the game.

http://anosou.com/?p=213
Old Dec 23, 2009, 07:22 AM

Yoshitaka Hirota needs to use his deeper industrial style more often in my opinion. This was one of his best, with the help of the ever elite Mitsuda. Kenji Ito ruined some of the tracks in the near death Experience Arrangetracks edition... Those violins... *shudders*

A top album, though. The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis and The 3 Karma ~ Decisive Battle are amazing, and Astaroth ~ Battle with the Fallen Angel-- MASTERPIECE.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 07:12 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

"Moon Love Flower" is referred to in the notes as "GETSURENKA". We should probably be consistent here.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Huh? There is a lot of good stuff from him that comes after an cinniùint. Let's see, we have:
- Xenosaga
- Sailing to the World
- Hako no Niwa
- Moonlit Shadow (although completly different from his usual style)
- ARMODYNE

I agree that Soma Bringer isn't the best score though
Sailing to the World is fantastic. I must have thought it came before Tsugunai, or maybe I just hadn't heard it enough back when I made my initial post to preach for it. The other albums, I can't say I'm attached to, but perhaps a couple re-listens are in order.

Anyway, after re-listening to SH2, I am reaffirming my statement that Mitsuda is the main draw here. The five tracks he worked on (six counting "The 3 Karma") are all outstanding pieces, and clearly the best on the album.

Hirota composes some wicked good battle themes, as usual ("T3K" included). Unfortunately, most of the album is far too ambient and/or dull for my tastes.

Ito's work here falls flat for me. I didn't find it up to his usual standards. Nevertheless, "Glint of Light" (both versions) is pretty good, and his section in "T3K" is the best part of the track.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Mar 7, 2012 at 02:33 PM.