VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 29, 2010, 03:27 AM

I very welcome the addition of anime soundtracks as I'm one of these guys who enjoys both VGM (with Japan on the top of quality and quantity) and anime. The whole otaku (western defined) culture subcategories is very interweaved so it makes sense to cover the complete musical experience.

Concerning western animations I'm rather against to put them into the database but I also wouldn't cry to use filters.
Old May 29, 2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I do share some of the reservations about adding anime. The last thing I want is to damage what we've built here. I think we're just going to have to work hard to find the best solution.

The addition of anime really grows out of a desire for the discographies to play a more prominent role, and for that they need to be more complete. While the categories Game and Anime don't overlap that much musically, the artists do overlap, especially the performers and less prominent composers and arrangers. Anyone who has done a lot of linking has seen this. Also, like game music, anime music is not widely respected in the mainstream. More importantly, the need for quality accurate album and artist information is much greater for anime music than the need that VGMdb helped to fill for game music. The current state is that decrepit.

I'm in full agreement that we need to preserve our brands, and I hope the separate portals will accomplish that. This gives us the opportunity to actually tighten up VGMdb/game. The default filter should be +game, with nothing in the other categories, so that browsing and searching only shows game-related results. The -anime filter removes all anime, including albums classified as both game and anime, so it's not the right one to use. The discographies should remain unfiltered, so a user can stumble on Works albums by following an artist link, but won't see them prominently displayed on the VGmdb/game front page or by search/browse. Eventually, animation that is related to games can be discovered by following product and franchise links. I think this follows the original motivation for adding all these other categories in the first place.

The VGMdb/animation portal mirrors this behavior, except it's +anime.

Thinking a little further, I wonder if the filter system is a little too full-featured. If we have the 3 portals (VGM, anime, everything) and maybe this category switcher, then perhaps all we need is a "Turn off Doujins" switch. I think we need to hear more about how you all are using the filter.
You are like the voice of reason. Though I must say I disagree with just having "Turn off Doujins", customizable filters are key for fast database usage for researchers and fans alike. People who aren't die-hard collectors might very well want to turn off promo/enclosure and I, for example, have turned off both anime, radio/drama and all bootlegs.

In my opinion, the more we expand on the filtering, the easier it will be for people to use the database. We just need to make it very clear what the filter does, I've already seen example when the_miker couldn't find a DG-10 album because it was classified as anime (had a remix of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind). Overall though, I'm very pro-filters because it makes the database easier to man-handle
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:57 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I hope this kind of entries are safe.
France do have plenty of Animation stuff & music (generally, musics were remade for the French population/kids)

I do think (and proud) that France have a good culture for anime & mangas.
I won't make an article about that.. but like we call it, "Japanimation" is famous here and it all started in the end of the 70's. (one of the most famous series was UFO Robot Grendizer -Goldorak here-)

France also collaborated with Japan for some very good animation, like "The Mysterious Cities of Gold", or "Ulysses 31".

Even if we maybe screwed up a bit in the beginning (especially on the dubbing), we always had a good interest about the anime here.

I am really curious to know more about the Animation Era/Culture on the others European countries, and if you guys had a lot of music stuff like us.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 04:03 PM

"especially on the dubbing"

like nicky larson wanting to go to "vegetarian restaurant" because he likes veggies (love hotel in jap) ahaha
or people getting drunk after only drinking "lemonade" (maison ikkoku -juliette je t'aime) lol

"hokuto de cuisine" is cult =)
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:23 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I was always envious of the european countries like France, Italy and even Spain. In the 90s, the french even had a TV channel that reported about the new anime and manga trends.
Since I used to visit Italy practically every year, I also grew to love the italian anime/manga market with all their TV releases, magazines, merchandise and original theme songs.
In Germany, Manga & Anime was associated with hentai only for a long time. Even though german television broadcasted a lot of meisaku anime and other stuff, but no one knew that it was actually anime and considered it to be western cartoons. Manga-wise, there were only a few quality releases like Venus Wars and Battle Angel Alita.
Fortunately, this changed when Sailor Moon was picked up and by another channel and re-aired for the second time.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 05:53 AM

well, what's about the international cartoon/animation soundtrack debate now? After reading the whole topic again I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be added to the DB. My brother has currently a run on Disney Soundtracks and checks from time to time on english Disney Soundtracks, like Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and so on..

And guess what, there's no database for that many different versions of the Soundtrack. And I would support the idea as long as it doesn't go to Real Life-Movie/Series Entries.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 02:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Don't take it as an official word, but given the negative response in the topic, and since the portal idea seems to be on hold, I'd wait for now.
Game and anime albums may share artists, products, themes, etc. Western animation is a bit more detached from that, so it may be harder to accept by vgmdb's public.

We are just starting with anime, there is plenty of time to expand.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:45 AM

Hi,

first of all i love this page i collect anime/game/soundtrack music since 11 yeahrs and this here helps endless because of my crazy perfection. Files often look like that on my pc.
Gōsuto In Za Sheru - Kōkaku Kidōtai - Kōkaku Kidōtai Sutando Arōn Konpurekkusu - Opening 1 - Kanno Yōko - Ol'ga Vital'evna Yakovleva - Shanti Snyder - Benedict Del Maestro - Inner Universe.mp3

And i would have 3 Ideas.

Some of the albums here have only japanese signs for the tracklist.
But most people dont understand them so i did think could you integrate something like google translate in the page.
It should be marked that it is not a perfect translation because its google and you should stay on the page. Opening another window would be annoying.

There are a few databases around and there is wiki. Alot of the things you have here you cant find in wiki. So is it possible to take the database export it and integrate it in wiki.

And my album artwork on my iphone and the windows media player isnt working for many of my albums. Isnt it possible to integrate this database in the databases of the sources mircrosoft and apple are using.
That is wish thinking hehe but it cant be impossible.

Last edited by Armitage; Aug 3, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
Gōsuto In Za Sheru - Kōkaku Kidōtai - Kōkaku Kidōtai Sutando Arōn Konpurekkusu
naming that way remembers me the horrible way zhane-masaka (intended ;p) names his folders
to me, it's a bad way to name folders, a very bad and sort of disrespectful

"japanese signs" -> kanji (or hiragana/katakana for non-ideograms) =)

honestly, I'd prefer you to ask people to make a translation than using google translate or any other bad translation tools
why? because those tools can give the worst or the most laughable translations you could imagine (even raz can do better ;p)
to be avoided...

and translations on wiki can be inaccurate (almost like they use google translate and tweak to make it sensical)