VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 4, 2014, 04:23 PM

Default What do you think of CDjapan's newest design?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/

It's a little disorienting but looks a bit spiffier. One problem that i have with it though is that you can no longer search for albums by CN. This an annoyance because sometimes the only way to locate an OST early is the CN since the names of an album don't always have the name of the anime in it (sometimes they do but due to the fact CDjapan sometimes spells the name of the anime differently it still won't come up in the search).

Hopefully this is merely an issue that will be fixed later.

Last edited by leatherhead333; Mar 5, 2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 05:20 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherhead333 View Post
This an annoyance because sometimes the only way to locate an OST early is the CN since the names of album don't always have the name of the anime in it.
If you have an exact catalog number, you can do some URL manipulation:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/xxxx-yyyy
where xxxx is the stem and yyyy is the part number. E.g.:
SQEX-10001 = http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SQEX-10001

Personally I liked the previous design better, more straight-forward.

Last edited by Nisto; Mar 4, 2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 07:09 PM
VGMdb Staff

White space designs are so ugly. I don't understand why every site is switching to one these days.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 07:11 PM

I noticed this today as well. Personally, I think it's pretty ugly. EDIT: In mid-post I was ninja'd to using the word ugly. I second that notion though.

Also, that URL manipulation is how I always search for stuff on CDJapan. When using that trick though, make sure to try adding DAK before the catalog number if the first search doesn't work. For whatever reason, some pages use this extra identification in the URL address. An example is Dead or Alive Ultimate. Why they use the DAK, I don't know, because KWCD-1008 isn't a page, so they didn't need two instances of it or anything.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 07:19 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonJXZ View Post
Also, that URL manipulation is how I always search for stuff on CDJapan. When using that trick though, make sure to try adding DAK before the catalog number if the first search doesn't work. For whatever reason, some pages use this extra identification in the URL address. An example is Dead or Alive Ultimate. Why they use the DAK, I don't know, because KWCD-1008 isn't a page, so they didn't need two instances of it or anything.
Hmm, interesting. This is really not the only page you've seen where this is needed?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 09:21 PM

I think I know about that trick only because I read it on CDJapan. I can't remember where though, and even if I could it might not matter now that the site has been remodeled. Every so often while I'm searching for stuff using the URL trick, I try adding DAK to something and do get a result, but it's not the result I want - it's some random single CD or something, rather than the soundtrack I'm searching for. So, I know other pages do use it, but I haven't kept track of them or anything.

Last edited by SimonJXZ; Mar 4, 2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:35 AM

I'll tell you for 500p.

Spoiler:
Doesn't look good.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:18 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonJXZ View Post
I noticed this today as well. Personally, I think it's pretty ugly. EDIT: In mid-post I was ninja'd to using the word ugly. I second that notion though.

Thanks for the trick. I use a python script to automatically find and put the CDJapan shop links on our album pages, and this redesign broke the process completely. I'll try your trick and see if it works.