VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
Dracula and Dracula 2 = maybe she means Black Night and Nothing to Lose?
By Dracula and Dracula 2, she means the two forms of Dracula. Sorry, when I sent her the tracks to listen to, I just listed those two tracks like that, so she's just calling them what I called them.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:16 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:07 PM

We have another thread for this very topic, but since it's not so good to spread CV info/discussion over several threads, I'm posting here to state Sanoppi just confirmed "Wild Dance in Phantasmic Hell" (獄幻界乱舞) and "Illusionary Dance Music" (幻想的舞曲) were composed by her, so we now can credit them and the reprise for her.

It can be a little hard work, and there are still some "Vampire Killer" or "Beginning" that we don't credit to the individuals. Also, was this comment from Ken Matsubara taken as the confirmation of him as the compose of "Bloody Tears"? He didn't call it as "the Stage 3 BGM", and there seems to be another song that was from Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (the game over music), but still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Blue
悪魔城ドラキュラ(AC) / Devil's Castle Dracula / Haunted Castle

Credits: -

Composers: Kenichi Matsubara

Notes: The liner notes for the soundtrack are by "KEN" and he says: "BGM 3 is my song from the FC Dracula 2 I carried over."
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:20 PM

Didn't see it mentioned in the liner notes, but Disc 13 (Gallery of Labyrinth/Portrait of Ruin) is from Disc 2, the original (arranged) version of the soundtrack rather than the DS version, so I added that to the album notes.

Last edited by CaptainCommando; Oct 12, 2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:09 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I was poking around JASRAC and found that "Akumajo Dracula: The Medal BGM" is registered solely to a 山中 康司. JASRAC has the name reading as Yasushi Yamanaka, but I wasn't able to corroborate it, except maybe with this Konami patent (note: this is not proof at all).

His bio on Konamistyle for Mah-Jong Fight Club Special Soundtracks 2 & 3 [LC-1694~5] says that he's also worked on Spinfever (another medal game), Horseriders, and Mah-Jong Fight Club 6 & 7.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 01:56 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I was poking around JASRAC and found that "Akumajo Dracula: The Medal BGM" is registered solely to a 山中 康司. JASRAC has the name reading as Yasushi Yamanaka, but I wasn't able to corroborate it, except maybe with this Konami patent (note: this is not proof at all).
Could be Koji as well: http://pat365.com/patent/patentConte...ames%26nbsp%3B. It doesn't seem to give away much, but this patent is actually viewable at least. And his name appears both romanized and in Japanese on the first page.

EDIT: Also, where did you see the name reading on JASRAC? I looked the entry up myself and I don't see it anywhere.
EDIT2: Okay, so I found it by actually searching for "yamanaka yasushi", but I think it's not publicly shown anywhere because they've not been able to verify the reading or something.
EDIT3: On konaminet.jp (apparently the old Konami site for mobiles), I also found "Koji Yamanaka" on some Mah-Jong Fight Club music page: http://bit.ly/w0DgoL (cached)

Last edited by Nisto; Feb 12, 2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
Spoiler:
Let's try to update this useful thread with some info on Satoe Terashima and her involvement with Akumajo Dracula / Dracula II:

http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.p...1657#post31657

http://legacymusichour.blogspot.com/...36-kinuyo.html

Kinuyo Yamashita: Terashima-san composed Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 6, and Ending. I composed Stage 3, Stage 4, Stage 5, Boss, Dracula, and Dracula 2.

Terashima:

St.1 = Vampire Killer St.2 = Stalker St.6 = Out of Time Ending = Voyager

Yamashita:

St.3 = Wicked Child St.4 = Walking on the Edge St.5 = Heart of Fire Boss = Poison Mind (Dracula and Dracula 2 = maybe she means Black Night and Nothing to Lose?)
Why isn't this reflected in the notes section?
It would be messier, but the credits are already messy as it is.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:20 AM

Since I have not seen it here...

Apparently the kanji for "Masayuki Maruyama" might be "丸山雅之"...

As I have seen and taken from here: http://w1.log9.info/~2ch/20123/kohad...293816887.html
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:45 AM

is there a particular reason why Prime Blue erased all the contents of his posts, including much of the composers' info we had gathered and making the thread useless/unreadable?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:18 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Maybe his arch-nemesis found his secret e-personality and had to run away.

The SS version of Castlevania SOTN has:
Spoiler:
-Sound Staff-
H.Suzuki
(Sound Direction)
Y.Iwata
(Sound Program)
T.Ohsono
(Music)
J.Karashima
(Music/Sound Effect)
K.Okada
(Music)

But the disc has some liner notes:

H. Suzuki > "すずき" (鈴木): sound
Y. Iwata > Youichi Iwata/岩田陽一: sound program + guitar
T. Ohsono > Tetsuya Ohsono/大園哲也: compose/arrange/mix 5 original BGM [etc>]
J. Karashima > Junko Karashima/辛島純子: 2 arranges - Beginning Techno (6-35), librarian
K. Okada > Okada/岡田 (Kaoru Okada): 2 BGM

New tracks are:
Master Librarian [Karashima]
Chaconne c.moll (Cursed Prison)
Vampire Killer (Rock)
Vampire Killer (Techno/Goth)
Beginning (Techno Goth) [Karashima]
Beginning (Jazz)
Bloody Tears (Hard Rock 1)
Bloody Tears (Hard Rock 2)
Guardian

I'd think a composer wouldn't have arranged the same track twice, so Okada could have done two arrangements and Ohsono the rest

EDIT: Akiropito says M.C.ADA (Adachi) did SFC Castlevania, so there you go.

From 2ch
Spoiler:

あきろぴと氏の血の輪廻担当は

Overture作曲&編曲
乾坤の血族作曲。編曲は中村氏
Former Room、Poison Mindの編曲
ジングルなどのサウンドエフェクト

Last edited by Dag; Sep 9, 2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:50 AM
Trusted Editor

This thread has alot of interesting info, but I guess it would be easy to just ask here.

Does anybody who wrote "Theme of Simon"? All of the other CV classics have specific names attributed to them but I haven't seen anything about this one. (probably because I haven't looked hard enough xD)
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:51 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

As I posted over in the Akumajo Dracula X thread, "Blood Relations of Heaven and Earth" should be "Divine Bloodlines". We agreed to go with official translations over "fan translations" no matter how literal it may be. The official translation is here:
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=38454
I'd like some feedback before I go mass editing things though.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 07:39 PM

According to the panel for disc 4, track 08 is Slash and track 10 is Op.13, but the English tracklist on the webpage has them reversed. Which listing is correct? Was it a misprint on the panel?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oninoyakamo View Post
According to the panel for disc 4, track 08 is Slash and track 10 is Op.13, but the English tracklist on the webpage has them reversed. Which listing is correct? Was it a misprint on the panel?
click on my signature.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 06:56 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

It's been a few years... and i am quite late

The entry is missing the credits for Johann Sebastian Bach for track 2-29. That track is a cover/nes render of "Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue".
Old Aug 18, 2015, 07:01 PM

Are there any other games with incomplete soundtracks on this release besides Order of Ecclesia?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 05:29 PM

Anyone notice the booklet cover has a striking resemblance to medieval depictions of Jesus?

I am extremely knowledgable on ALL THINGS Ys and LUNAR. If you have a question about either series, ASK AWAY! I will answer it to the best of my ability!

Old Jul 7, 2019, 07:46 PM

I was curious about the translation used for track 35 of disc 5, "わたしは ゆかり." Currently the English title listed is "I'm an Ally," but unless I'm mistaken, shouldn't it instead be something like "I'm Yukari" or "I am Yukari?"

This particularly BGM plays in both Kid Dracula's (GB) opening cutscene as well as when speaking with the NPC that lets you play the subgames after each level. As far as I'm aware this NPC doesn't seem to have an official name, not even in the Japanese game manual (JP manual scans are located at the bottom of the "media" section.) However, considering that the NPC is female it's feasible that her name could be Yukari, though it would be strange considering that Castlevania has been pretty consistent with its use of European names.

I dug around online, but this Nico Nico Pedia page was the only thing I could find regarding the NPC. Granted, Nico Nico Pedia is hardly an official source as its just edited by premium niconico users. Not to mention, if I'm understanding it right the writer of this article seems to be claiming that she's Kid Dracula's older sister which I find highly unlikely, especially since the game probably would have mentioned that if it were indeed the case. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what they wrote and they are instead just saying that she's like a big sister to him.

They also mention that her name is Yukari because that's the name featured in the title of the BGM that plays when she's on screen. Though I think they erroneously state that it only plays for her, which isn't actually true since as I mentioned before, it also plays in the first cutscene when Death is telling Kid Dracula that Galamoth is back. However, it's possible that the title of the BGM is still referring to her specifically since the BGM "Rock-Sapper-Scissors Bat" is also used for another one of the subgames as well despite the title only referring to the Rock-Sapper-Scissors one.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:52 PM

That page is saying her name is Yukari based on the title of her theme on this album. In any case, I don't know how anyone got "ally" from ゆかり.

Btw, お姉さん can mean young woman in Japanese, not just a blood-related sister.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 02:16 AM

I see that makes sense, in any case I'd recommend reviewing some of the current translations for the GB Kid Dracula then. 5.35 should probably be changed to "I'm Yukari," wouldn't 5.37 just be "I'm Rich?"

3.36 is a strange one, "グサッとひとさし" is the title of the BGM used for two of the four subgames, the first subgame is one where you stick swords into a barrel with a skeleton in it and try not to let his head pop off. The second one involves using a pogo stick to try and burst balloons with your spiked helmet. In the English version the skeleton subgame was called "Stick' Em" (GB) or "Jab' N Pop" (FC anniversary collection) while the balloon one was called "Jump & Pop" (GB.)

Presumably the title is referring to one of them. I say presumably because the BGM used for the other two subgames, "じゃんけんコウモリ" (Rock-Sapper-Scissors Bat) is referring to the title of game C, "じゃんけん" (Rock-Paper-Scissors/RPS,) despite it also playing for another one of the subgames as well. Anyway, I imagine that it's referring to game B as "グサッといっぱつ" is a similar to "グサッとひとさし."

"グサッと" basically means 'hit/strike home." An English equivalent is 'zunk', or the sound of an arrow hitting its mark. This is likely referring to how you stick swords into the barrel, if we go by the English translation for the famicon version on the recent anniversary collection the best word choice would probably be "Jab." I'm not too sure about "ひとさし" yet though.

Also, I'll try to take a look at some of the other ones later.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Jul 8, 2019 at 02:20 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 03:14 AM

ひとさし (一指し) just means a game or match, but whoever translated it mistook it for 人差し, which means index finger. Definitely needs work. It could also be a play on 一刺し, which would be something like "one stab." A possible translation to retain that wordplay might be "Take a Stab at It."

Last edited by Aifread; Jul 8, 2019 at 03:24 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 04:02 AM

I'd normally ask before doing this, but some of these translations are so atrocious I don't care. Could probably still use some more tweaks. There's a few tracks that I don't quite know what to do with because I'm lacking context having never played the game before myself.

おしろで ゴーゴー Go-Go in the Great Castle -> Go! Go! Go! Through the Castle (There is no "Great" in the original Japanese, so I cut that out. Also I think the rhythm works better in English with an extra "Go!")
おさるのきぶん Strange Rumors of Great Monkeys -> Monkeying Around (No idea what was going through the translator's head here. Probably just machine translated...)
おそらでピクニック! Picknick in the Sky! -> Picnic in the Sky! (picknick is a bit of an archaic spelling)
イケイケサンバ Boisterous Samba -> Lively Samba
かいぞくせんがきたぞ The Pirate Ship Has Come -> Here Comes the Pirate Ship
おっと あぶない! Oh, Watch Out! -> Hey, Watch Out! (sounds more natural)
まってろ!がラモス Don't Move! Galamoth -> Wait Up! Galamoth
ドタバタ ドラちゃん Noisy Dra-chan -> Slapstick Dracky (ドタバタ can be onomatopoeia for certain noisy sounds, but more likely this is supposed to be "slapstick" for comedic scenes)
おめざめですか? You're Awake? -> Are You Awake?
わたしはゆかり I'm an Ally -> I'm Yukari (see the above comments)
ぼくはおかねもち I'm a Very Rich Man -> I'm rich (I think for whatever reason whoever translated this before thought that the お prefix means "great" or "very")
いっしょにつれてって Let's Go Together -> Take Me With You (The grammar pattern here suggests it's a request)
バイバイ ドラちゃん Bye-Bye, Dra-chan -> Bye-Bye, Dracky (I'm against leaving honorifics untranslated. Some may disagree)

Last edited by Aifread; Jul 8, 2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:04 PM

Interestingly, some of the songs that are carried over from the Famicon version were given slightly different titles in the GB version. "おしろで ゴーゴー" is titled "お城でゴーゴー" in the famicon version and was officially translated as "Go Go at the Great Castle." However, now that you mention it, I don't think there's a "Great" anywhere in the original title either. Maybe whoever it was that translated these titles initially simply took the English translations used on the vinyl release for the famicon OST due to them having similar titles/being the same song. Also, I believe "ゴーゴー" is referring to "go-go" as in the style of music or possibly even go-go dancing. This would make sense seeing as two other Kid Dracula tracks, "Cha-Cha-Cha in the Great Waters" (お水でチャチャチャ) and "Tan Tan Tango" (タン タン タンゴ) also make use of dance terminology. Thus, I'd recommend going with "Go-Go at the Castle" or "Go-Go in the Castle."

Another one with a slightly altered title is "おっと あぶない!" as it was written out as "おっと!あぶない" on the Famicon version's soundtrack. The only major difference here is that the explination mark has been moved. The vinyl release translated it as "Oops! Watch out," so I guess the most logical translation for the GB one would be "Oops, Watch Out!"

"ドタバタ ドラちゃん": Agreed, "slapstick" makes more sense considering that the game is a parody.

"いっしょにつれてって" Agreed, "Take Me With You" also makes more sense in context as it is indeed a request.

Out of curiosity, are there any other words that "まってろ" can be translated as? The cutting room floor page for Kid Dracula (GB) translated it as "Woah!" Granted, some of the translations listed there seem a bit off. I'm uncertain if that's actually a viable translation for まってろ or not, though it would make more sense given the context if it is. It's used during a cutscene where Galamoth hijacks the channel on the Bat TV and then proceeds to boast and insult Kid Dracula. It's clear by the way Kid Dracula's hair spikes up that he's surprised and the sweat drop at the end of the cutscene presumably implies that he's a bit nervous now. There isn't anything about the cutscene that makes me think that Kid Dracula wants Galamoth to wait for some reason before he disconnects or anything like that.

Also, it's probably worth mentioning that Galamoth was called "Garamoth" in Kid Dracula (GB) and that this spelling was also used in the recent Famicon release featured in the Castlevania anniversary collection. However, I presume this was just done to maintain consistency with the GB game seeing as Symphony of the Night and Judgment spelt it with an "l" instead of a "r." Regardless, I'd personally keep it as Galamoth over Garamoth.

Lastly, one that I'm now a little confused about is "じゃんけんコウモリ." "じゃんけん" is "Rock-Paper-Scissors" or alternatively, "Janken." "コウモリ" is "Bat," however doesn't this spelling refer to the animal? I initially thought it was referring to a baseball bat since in the subgame you strike the enemy with what seems to be a baseball bat if you win the round of RPS. Maybe it's actually just adding on another word to the end to make it "Rock-Paper-Scissors-Bat" like how you might see people say "Rock-Paper-Scissors-Dynamite" or ""Rock-Paper-Scissors-Gun." However, you aren't actually given a 4th option that trumps the other three or anything like that in this subgame.

Btw, which tracks were you uncertain about due to not knowing the context? I can probably provide you with any information you need in that regard.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 06:45 AM

Okay, I changed it to "Go-Go at the Castle" and "Hold Up! Galamoth."

I wasn't aware of the vinyl version and I'm not sure what the database's policy is on translations like that. Some of them are blatantly incorrect and while the album is officially licensed, it's also from an obscure fan label and not from Konami themselves.

The main one that I have no idea what to do with is "Robo-Robo Tokkuri." From what I was able to find through gameplay videos, the track plays for the kirin boss in the fire level. I have no idea what Robo-Robo is supposed to be or what any of it has to do with tokkuri (a small ceramic pitcher used to serve sake).

And yes, コウモリ is bat as in the animal. No idea what they were going for since, as you said, the minigame uses baseball bats and the two words aren't homophones in Japanese.

Last edited by Aifread; Jul 9, 2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
The main one that I have no idea what to do with is "Robo-Robo Tokkuri." From what I was able to find through gameplay videos, the track plays for the kirin boss in the fire level. I have no idea what Robo-Robo is supposed to be or what any of it has to do with tokkuri (a small ceramic pitcher used to serve sake).
"Robo-Robo Tokkuri" is a BGM featured in both Kid Dracula games, "Robo-Robo" is likely referring to how the last stage in the famicon version (where this BGM was first used) was a robot factory. The last stage in the GB version is also a robot factory, but it uses a new BGM. The reason why it's used for the Kirin boss fight in the GB version is most likely due to it previously being one of the mini bosses in the final stage of the famicon version as shown here. Unfortunately, I too have no idea what any of this has to do with a tokkuri.

Also, I was wrong about something I said earlier, the BGM used in that Galamoth cutscene I linked to last time was actually "Galamoth is Coming" not "Don't Move!/Hold Up! Galamoth." Somehow I got them mixed up, Don't Move!/Hold Up! Galamoth is actually the BGM used for the final stage of the GB version. With that in mind "Don't Move! Galamoth" actually does make sense and would probably be the better word choice here as it's basically saying 'stay where you are because I'm (Kid Dracula) coming to take you down.' Regardless, I'm very sorry for the accidental misinformation.

Quote:
And yes, コウモリ is bat as in the animal. No idea what they were going for since, as you said, the minigame uses baseball bats and the two words aren't homophones in Japanese.
Hmm, well since its referring to the animal, perhaps "Rock-Paper-Scissors-Bat" would be more appropriate then?

Also, I forgot to mention that "Monkeying Around" is based on Debussy's "Golliwog's Cakewalk."

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Jul 13, 2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
かいぞくせんがきたぞ The Pirate Ship Has Come -> Here Comes the Pirate Ship
Now that I think about it, while "Here Comes the Pirate Ship" probably does sound better in English, wouldn't "かいぞくせんがきたぞ" literally be "The Pirate Ship Has Come/Arrived?"
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:23 AM

Literally, yes. But there are arguments about whether Japanese past tense is really a past tense or if it just expresses the current state of something. You regularly hear 来た to describe something that hasn't actually arrived yet but has come into view such as a bus or train.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 01:46 AM

I see, that makes sense, thank you for explaining.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 07:33 PM

Shmuplations posted a translation of the Michiru Yamane video (turn on English captions)
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:59 AM

There's something about track 1.59 "エンディングデモ後" which has been bothering me, how exactly is it meant to be read? I've come across a handful of titles (mainly from SNK games) which use "後デモ," but this is the only track I've ever seen where it is instead written as "デモ後." For example, according to the official translations from some digital SNK OSTS we have things like "ボス後デモ" being "After Boss Demo" or "アーデルハイド後デモ" being "After Adelheid Demo." As a result I'm unable to discern if "エンディングデモ後" is intended to be "Demo After Ending" or "After Ending Demo."

As show here, the track in question does play shortly after the credits (aka the "Ending Demo,") so the title might just mean that it's the track that plays after the ending demo, but it could potentially be referring to the brief scene after the credits where Dracula as a bat escapes from the ruins of his castle which itself would be a demo after the ending. However, the track doesn't actually play during said scene, it instead starts immediately afterwards when "The End" appears.

On the topic of demos I was curious to know, are scripted segments also considered "demos?" As far as I know a demo can be a few things, a short playable segment of a game, pre-recorded gameplay footage or a cutscene, but I noticed a couple examples from the Metal Slug series (specifically 4 & 6) where they have tracks listed as "最終ボス後デモ" ("Demo After Last Boss",) but neither one is a cutscene like you'd expect. One is brief playable segment after defeating the last boss where you need to escape the facility which has initiated a self-destruct sequence the other also occurs after defeating the last boss only you instead need to survive for a certain amount of time as the last boss is now invulnerable and assaulting you with a barrage of projectiles which you need to either destroy or avoid.

Alternatively, from Castlevania: Bloodlines we have "Stage Clear with the Red Crystal (クリアデモ~パターンクリア BGM)" where "クリアデモ" would be "Clear Demo." This bit refers to the audio/sound effects which play when a Red Crystal appear after defeating a boss as shown here, does this too count as a "demo" despite it occurring in real time?

Additionally, this is a bit of an aside, but I was curious if anyone had any idea as to what the intended meaning for the below two titles are as neither appears to be proper English, those being "Road of Enemy" & "Thrashard in the Cave." In regards to the first one my best guess as to what they were trying to say is "Road to the Enemy" since it plays prior to initiating a boss battle. I suppose if it were written in Japanese it might have looked like "敵の道路" which would be Enemy Road or Enemy's Road, but I don't believe either of those would be proper English either. As for the second I'm uncertain if they meant to say "Thrashed" or not since baring this particular track the rest of the Castlevania Chronicles tracks (which are all in English) seem fine. Alternatively it could possibly be a portmanteau of "thrash" & "hard," but that would be quite odd. Looking online the only other example I could find for "Thrashard" was a track on the albulm, "Thrash Zone" by D.R.I.