VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 25, 2008, 08:32 AM

Default Composer Profile Pictures

Instead of doing this on a case by case basis, I figured I should just make a separate topic entirely - I have images of the following composers (and possibly more) that could be used on their profiles:

Hajime Wakai
Taro Bando
Kenichi Koyano
Motoaki Takenouchi
Masanao Akahori
Hirokazu Ando
Shogo Sakai
Kenta Nagata
Hayato Matsuo
Asuka Ota
Toru Minegishi
Kazumi Totaka
Shinobu Tanaka
Akari Kaida
Yoshino Aoki
Keiichi Suzuki
Kenji Kawai
Masashi Hamauzu
June Chikuma
Akifumi Tada

I don't know what this site's stance is on using such images, but I'm presuming you're more lenient here than wikipedia are.

Additionally, I think a nice extra bit of functionality for this site would be a field stating where the pictures originate. There's a few on my list that I'd love to know the origins/date of, especially considering there aren't any other sites online that provide that sort of information (that I've found). Perhaps that would be a tangential shift of focus from the albums themselves though - I don't know, just throwing that out there
Old May 25, 2008, 04:47 PM

There's quite a number of composer images on the Square Enix Music site. It has photos of numerous other composers as well, but some of the ones you mentioned aren't even on there (ie Bando, Ando, Sakai, Suzuki, Chikuma and Tada). Personally I'm interested in seeing what you have =D

And no offense to anybody, but Hirokazu Tanaka just looks... weird. I suppose having scored a heavy number of NES titles in a short amount of time would do that to somebody >.>

(I remember you from VGmp3 too. Nice to see a familiar face around here~)
Old May 26, 2008, 01:21 AM

Yeah, most of them can be found on that site easily enough. Many others can be found on Last FM (some of which I've put up myself). Or, just google image searching works well too sometimes. I believe the only two on that list that can't be found by those means currently are Kenichi Koyano and Taro Bando, both of which have photos in album scans (Landstalker and F-Zero X Guitar Arranged respectively, unless I'm gravely mistaken).

Tanaka doesn't just look unusual, he also writes unusual music as you'd know. I'm pretty sure he did the music for the GameBoy Camera, as well as the whackier stuff on Mario Paint and Earthbound (if the track credits on the Mother albums are anything to go by).

And yeah.. I get around :P didn't expect people to remember me from vgmp3 though. It's been a long time since I posted there.

EDIT: oops, the picture i have isn't kenichi koyano but the chief programmer of Landstalker, Ken Naito. good thing I didn't put it anywhere, really. the picture i have of takenouchi is most certainly him though.

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; May 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old May 26, 2008, 07:02 AM

Bleh, I was looking at the F-Zero X Arranged album scans yesterday, guess I didn't look at "Booklet 3&4" hard enough. I can't read Japanese but I assume the two guys pictured there are Bando & Wakai? Or Bando and Ryuichi Katsumata...?

Tanaka hasn't written any music since the Game Boy era as far as I know, but he did arrange two tracks in Smash Bros. Brawl, both of which are pretty oddball-ish (a theme from the arcade Donkey Kong, and the theme from Kirby: Squeak Squad). Right now he's the president of Creatures, Inc., a company that's heavily involved in the Pokemon series.
Old May 26, 2008, 08:11 AM

If you have any better of Hajime Wakai or Shinobu Tanaka that I don't have, I'm very interested. I spent a hell of a long time searching for many of these images, but some of them are still pretty disappointing.

http://www.squareenixmusic.com/compa...omposers.shtml

I've had many complaints from visitors about heart attacks after clicking on Hirokazu Tanaka's page. I think it's the most up-to-date of him available though and is also the one he uses to promote himself at Harmonics International.

Oh, and rest assured that I'm getting to Bando, Ando, Sakai, etc. but there's only so much one person can release in one giant update.
Old May 26, 2008, 11:43 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I probably ought to code up a moderation queue for artist edits so that the general public can submit scans, edits etc. I don't think we'd include the linking process in that; that should still be done carefully by staff and trusted editors.
Old May 27, 2008, 02:36 AM

Quote:
If you have any better of Hajime Wakai or Shinobu Tanaka that I don't have, I'm very interested
Unfortunately, I don't. The only other photo of Wakai I've seen is the one in the F-Zero Guitar Arranged scans, but the one you're using on your site is better anyway (and probably more recent). There might be another one on the F-Zero X OST but I currently don't have scans for that.

What you have is pretty awesome thus far. I hadn't seen Asuka Ota anywhere other than squareenixmusic. Not like I'd been looking though :P

Quote:
guess I didn't look at "Booklet 3&4" hard enough. I can't read Japanese but I assume the two guys pictured there are Bando & Wakai?
Yep-yep, Bando is the one above with Wakai below. If you don't know Japanese (and I don't) you can just look at their respective profiles on this site and compare their names to what's printed on the scans.

Quote:
Tanaka hasn't written any music since the Game Boy era as far as I know
Indeed. I think the GameBoy Camera soundtrack (from 1998) was the last thing he did actually.
Old May 27, 2008, 04:21 AM

I got most of the pictures by searching nintendo.co.jp using the kanji names. Well, Asuka Ota, Shinobu Tanaka, and Hajime Wakai at least. The F-Zero X one would be OK (if old) were it not so small. Although there are other pictures available of him, I used Mario & Zelda Big Band Live for him as there were nice big scans of the booklets.

Quote:
Indeed. I think the GameBoy Camera soundtrack (from 1998) was the last thing he did actually.
I have a good up-to-date bio of him. He works in Pokemon-related merchandise as president of Creatures now. But he has created some new music recently -- specifically for Extra and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.