VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:09 PM

Finally, the cover art and track listings!
http://www.wave-master.com/ent/details/wm/wm0681-3/
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:45 PM
Trusted Editor

I added the tracklist from the site, I'm sure it's inaccurate but it's all we have right now. When someone gets the cd or scans are uploaded, we can update it.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:22 AM

Anyone knows "SEGA Puzzle FP" and "SEGA Puzzle BX"?
Official website of WaveMaster (http://www.wave-master.com/ent/details/wm/wm0681-3/) shows the katakana title "セガ パズル FP" (and BX too, of course), but I don't know any game with this title.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:51 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Based on the track titles, they look like they're Flash Point and Bloxeed: http://vgmdb.net/album/632.

I can't tell you why they're referred to with code names like that, though. The Ebten store page for the album says they they're temporary titles, but why they didn't use the real names I don't know.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:05 PM
Trusted Editor

Wrestle War = Anupon (Who?)
Bay Route = ???
Golden Axe = Y. "Dolphin" Takada, Tohru Nakabayashi
SEGA Puzzle FP (Flash Point) = Y.T. (Most likely Y. "Dolphin" Takada)

Cyber Police ESWAT = Y. "Dolphin" Takada, Takayuki Nakamura
SEGA Puzzle BX (Bloxeed) = Y. "Dolphin" Takada
M.V.P. = ???
Ryu Kyu = Hiroto Saitoh (assuming this is Solitaire Poker)

Aurail = Shinichi Sakamoto
Cotton = Kenichi Hirata

Now this is just from quick Mobygames/VGMdb search. We need those scans before we can confirm, and that's even if they include composer info.

Last edited by dissident93; Jun 21, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old May 15, 2016, 05:16 AM

Golden Axe has been confirmed to be composed by Nakabayashi and Takada, so I've added it to the notes, alongside Yasuhiro Kawakami doing ESWAT (confirmed by Okunari).
Old May 15, 2016, 01:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Bay Route's end credits are specifically for "sound"; we don't know how many of the three* actually composed, so we shouldn't be saying they all did. In particular, there's a decent chance Shinichi Seya didn't, because most of the time he was just a sound programmer.

*: Assuming Vial Music is a separate entity from Takemori and Seya and not just a company header for the two. I've never seen the credit in any other game so it's p. mysterious.

Last edited by CHz; May 15, 2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 06:06 AM

And lastly, any input would be appreciated.

Disc 1

01-10: Wrestle War - Composed by Tohru Nakabayashi
11-25: Bay Route - Composed by Vial Music, Michie Takemori, Shinichi Seya
26-39: Golden Axe - Composed by Tohru Nakabayashi, You Takada (only track 28?)
40-50: Flash Point - Composed by You Takada, Tohru Nakabayashi

Disc 2

01-08: Cyber Police E-SWAT - Composed by Yasuhiro Kawakami
09-27: Bloxeed - Composed by Tohru Nakabayashi
28-47: M.V.P. - Composed by Tohru Nakabayashi
48-59: Ryu Kyu - Composed by Nasu Kazumi (is this Shigeharu Isoda?)

Disc 3

01-25: Aurail - Composed by Shinichi Sakamoto, Napalm Hiromitsu (no idea who this is)
26-46: Cotton - Composed by Kenichi Hirata
Old Sep 23, 2016, 04:02 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneSatyr View Post
11-25: Bay Route - Composed by Vial Music, Michie Takemori, Shinichi Seya
Since this wasn't scored by Sega's sound team, I kind of suspect that Okunari doesn't necessarily know the composers for sure and is just listing the staff roll credits. I'm bringing this up specifically for this game because the in-game credit for these three is "sound," not "music" specifically.

Quote:
26-39: Golden Axe - Composed by Tohru Nakabayashi, You Takada (only track 28?)
This is probably the one everyone's interested in. Okunari only names Takada: "the music was the debut of Y.T." This lines up with Nakabayashi's liner notes in the Golden Axe compilation album where he only talks about programming and sound effects and doesn't actually mention writing any music; looks like this score was in fact all Takada.

Quote:
40-50: Flash Point - Composed by You Takada, Tohru Nakabayashi
Quote:
09-27: Bloxeed - Composed by Tohru Nakabayashi
These are correct, though weirdly Takada doesn't mention Nakabayashi at all in the liner notes of the original soundtrack for these two. He does only explicitly state that he wrote music for Flash Point, though.

Quote:
448-59: Ryu Kyu - Composed by Nasu Kazumi (is this Shigeharu Isoda?)
Yeah.

Quote:
01-25: Aurail - Composed by Shinichi Sakamoto, Napalm Hiromitsu (no idea who this is)
I haven't been able to verify the game's credits for myself, but there's allegedly a Hiromitsu Watanabe who composed Power Eleven with Sakamoto so that's probably him.

EDIT: Can verify a Hiromitsu Watanabe worked with Sakamoto in Jikuu Senki Mu: http://www14.atwiki.jp/gball/pages/410.html

Last edited by CHz; Sep 23, 2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
This is probably the one everyone's interested in. Okunari only names Takada: "the music was the debut of Y.T." This lines up with Nakabayashi's liner notes in the Golden Axe compilation album where he only talks about programming and sound effects and doesn't actually mention writing any music; looks like this score was in fact all Takada.
Man, that's great news. I've been wondering about that game for a very long time, as I'm sure a lot of people have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I haven't been able to verify the game's credits for myself, but there's allegedly a Hiromitsu Watanabe who composed Power Eleven with Sakamoto so that's probably him.

EDIT: Can verify a Hiromitsu Watanabe worked with Sakamoto in Jikuu Senki Mu: http://www14.atwiki.jp/gball/pages/410.html
As always, thanks for your great skills at digging up info.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 01:35 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz
Wow that's a big revelation there! Tohru Nakabayashi has been credited (wrongly it seems) for composing the music to Golden Axe for a such a long time that many, myself included, had stopped questioning it.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 01:33 PM
VGMdb Staff

Now the identity of Nankyoku, Decky and Imocky....
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:18 AM

Nice to see that the situation with Golden Axe has finally been cleared up. The entire soundtrack is quite similar and doesn't sound like Nakabayashi's style, so it makes sense Takada was the composer (the music sounds like his style).

Quote:
28-47: M.V.P. - Composed by Tohru Nakabayashi
Hmm... the liner notes (booklet page 4) of Formula -G.S.M. SEGA 5- mentions MVP in a little note about SZK. I can't read much Japanese, but it seems he does have something to do with it, yet I don't see SZK being mentioned in the liner notes of this release, so I'm confused (could it be that SZK and Nakabayashi composed the music together?). Nakabayashi definitely seems to be involved since the credit SFX was reused from Golden Axe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
Now the identity of Nankyoku, Decky and Imocky....
To be honest, I highly doubt we'll ever find this out, though someone here could ask Okunari since he seems to know a lot about Sega's music in the 80s/90s. He may not respond though.

Last edited by drdevilfx; Sep 25, 2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 01:56 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdevilfx View Post
Hmm... the liner notes (booklet page 4) of Formula -G.S.M. SEGA 5- mentions MVP in a little note about SZK. I can't read much Japanese, but it seems he does have something to do with it, yet I don't see SZK being mentioned in the liner notes of this release, so I'm confused (could it be that SZK and Nakabayashi composed the music together?). Nakabayashi definitely seems to be involved since the credit SFX was reused from Golden Axe.
Ah, thanks for finding that. It says she(!) worked on arcade MVP and Genesis Gain Ground, but isn't specific about her role in either.

Okunari unequivocally attributes the music to Nakabayashi in the liner notes here.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 02:07 AM
VGMdb Staff

Some details from Okunari's comments not mentioned here thus far that interested me. I relied on DeepL translation.

1 BLOXEED has some music by Keisuke Tsukahara.
2 Wrestle War is by the same team as Body Slam / Dump Matsumoto, including Hiroshi Aso as planner.
3 Okunari expresses interest in releasing the MEGA DRIVE ESWAT soundtrack. Sweet that his wish came true.
4 For M.V.P., he brings up that FANTASY ZONE designer Masaki Kondo suggested the clay animation style in response to BONANZA BROS. The planner was Hirotsugu Kobayashi, also responsible for ALEX KIDD (probably referring to The Lost Stars) and PASSING SHOT.
5 Shigeharu Isoda (who recorded the sound for the album and of course is KASUMI NASU) is referenced regarding Ryu Kyu, but apparently he doesn't remember working on the game.
6 JALECO's VALTRIC is mentioned as another by Shinichi Sakamoto and NAPALM HIROMITSU. But the game's credits only list S. Sakamoto, so I don't know if Hiromitsu is actually included.
7 Sukeban Jansi Ryuko is discussed as having been left out because Okunari couldn't find who owned the rights to the game. He calls for anyone with the rights reading the comments to get in contact so it can be included in the 4th and final volume (even though there's only 2 SEGA SYSTEM 16 games not included lol, the other being Touryuumon)

Last edited by Nicolaas Hamman; Jan 11, 2022 at 04:50 AM.