VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:39 PM

Default about track naming

by some little searches, I found this link
I wonder if it's correct and if it should be used as standard (I tended to not capitalize "be" for example)
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:57 PM

In the English language, there are a lot of differing rules, guidelines, and etc for the language in general, not just capitalization. Here is another link that has different "rules", for example, you always capitalize a verb, even if it's 2 letters long. Actually, I find that particular guideline in most places I look rather than the other way you found on that site. But the problem is that there really aren't any set-in-stone rules when it comes to the capitalization of certain types of words. There are guideline publications, like the Chicago Manual of Style, the Associated Press Stylebook, and probably others that don't come to mind right now. I know it seems strange to not really have any... "rules" about it... but that's pretty much how it is.

Perhaps VGMdb could outline what to do in specific situations with certain types of words (prepositions of a certain length, verbs, etc), or go with a certain stylebook, but also understand that even the stylebooks change over time, the Chicago one is on its 15th revision or something silly. Anyway, as far as taking that one webpage you found out in cyberspace as "correct" or something, I wouldn't recommend it, especially just taking the example of verbs like "be", "is", etc, I've always known to capitalize them.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortavia View Post

Anyway, as far as taking that one webpage you found out in cyberspace as "correct" or something, I wouldn't recommend it, especially just taking the example of verbs like "be", "is", etc, I've always known to capitalize them.
speaking of that sentence
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:56 PM

I'm not sure what you want to hear, or how you want me to word my responses so that you don't feel like I'm attacking you. I'm not attacking you. It's just that this isn't a case where I can say "the website is correct" or "the website is incorrect." As I explained in my post, the website is neither. It may not be of the popular opinion, and like I said (and like you quoted), I wouldn't recommend using it as an official source, but that's the best I can do: recommend. Because that's really all there is to do.

I'm not sure how I can word my text on the internet so that you feel I'm not attacking you, nor can I find anything in my post that would make you feel like I was. I simply explained the difficulty of capitalization rules in the English language and said that I'd choose not to go with what's on the site you linked, and then give you a specific example as to why. I'm not attacking you, I don't dislike you, and I have nothing against you in terms of contributions to this website. You are trying to improve the quality of submissions and I am responding to your concerns in an attempt to do the same. It's just that this isn't the first time I've responded to a thread and you've felt the need to get defensive, and I can't figure out how to say things so you won't feel that way. In general I feel I am pretty personable, and I've had others tell me I am, so I'm a bit at a loss here.

At any rate, hopefully the information I've given you on the subject can help, maybe you'll be interested in looking at those stylebooks I mentioned, or maybe not (I don't know much about them myself). Just trying to help, really...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:19 PM

I don't say it's correct, I ask if it's correct
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:36 PM

And... I've answered what you asked...
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:36 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'll have to check my copy of The Little, Brown Handbook to see if they cover song titles. I imagine they would follow the standard rules for other titles.