VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:04 AM

Smile Your vote for Video Game Music (Classic FM Hall of Fame 2013)

Last year Aerith's Theme achieved 16th in the hard-fought top 300 Classic FM Hall of Fame.

Nobuo Uematsu's Aeris Theme beat the pants off Adagio for Strings, 1812 overture, the Four Seasons and others.

Go to:

The Hall of Fame - The Best Classical Music of All Times

and vote for you three favorite bits of orchestral video games music. Pieces have to be orchestral to count. Use one of your votes for ''Aerith's Theme'' as this will garantee something makes it in the chart.

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicVGMusic

@ClassicVGMusic
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:02 AM

OK, I get the gist of promoting VGM but... does Aerith's Theme really deserve a place next to the classics? Is its likelihood for grabbing votes a good reason to champion it over far superior orchestral work from the genre? Sugiyama? Tanaka? Kanno? Hamauzu?

I guess what I'm saying is... what's the message we want to send? "Look, video game music is popular too!" or "Hey, listen to this great piece of music!"

You're asking for my vote, but haven't given me a convincing reason to give it to you. If I were to take the vote seriously (and perhaps I shouldn't) and were being honest with myself, I would put hundreds and hundreds of pieces before Aerith's Theme.

Mind you, this is coming from someone who is especially enthusiastic about game music, and especially quality orchestral music which is perhaps the rarest genre of truly "quality" material from the field of VGM. Heck, a lot of my orchestral picks from VGM that really do belong on a list like this (or at least deserve a nod) wouldn't even qualify because they're not performed live.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
OK, I get the gist of promoting VGM but... does Aerith's Theme really deserve a place next to the classics? Is its likelihood for grabbing votes a good reason to champion it over far superior orchestral work from the genre? Sugiyama? Tanaka? Kanno? Hamauzu?

I guess what I'm saying is... what's the message we want to send? "Look, video game music is popular too!" or "Hey, listen to this great piece of music!"

You're asking for my vote, but haven't given me a convincing reason to give it to you. If I were to take the vote seriously (and perhaps I shouldn't) and were being honest with myself, I would put hundreds and hundreds of pieces before Aerith's Theme.

Mind you, this is coming from someone who is especially enthusiastic about game music, and especially quality orchestral music which is perhaps the rarest genre of truly "quality" material from the field of VGM. Heck, a lot of my orchestral picks from VGM that really do belong on a list like this (or at least deserve a nod) wouldn't even qualify because they're not performed live.
Speaking as someone who loves classical music, VGM, and Aerith's Theme, I agree with this. There are many things by Uematsu I like more, to say nothing of the composers Jormungand mentioned.

I'll even go out of my way to say that I really don't like Classical FM all that much. These lists tend towards the more popular and less interesting side of classical music, including so-called classical crossover, and I don't put any stock in them whatsoever.

In more detail, I think that video game scores and movie scores are more interesting taken as a whole, with the various tracks complementing each other, rather than as a selection of individual tracks. I know this puts me at odds with most of my generation, and Classical FM is more of a "greatest hits" kind of thing, which interests me a lot less.

Last edited by Xenofan 29A; Jan 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:43 PM

I think for the time being, the fan favourites are going to be the only items officially listed that have any chance of crawling up the charts. I'd presume Japanese licensing would make playing other pieces [such as Kanno, Hamauzu et al] more difficult to broadcast.

I would be more interested in a more diverse program, rather than selections simply taken from the Greatest Video Game Music albums.