VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:19 PM

I have updated the romanization of the tracklist from Japanese to Romaji. The original romanization was adequate, but had a few portions that needed some work. Please let me know if my corrections were too far abreast or not.

The 3rd track, "からくれなゐ," has been transliterated from "Kara kure nawi" to read "Karakurenai," or "crimson." My reasoning is that, even given the "olden times Japan" feel that pinetree gives off through his arrangements, the i/wi pronunciation split is already well documented by the 13th century. Though we may read the character as "wi," it would have been pronounced "i," and so in order to avoid any such confusion for Japanese readers (the target of the Romanization itself), I have pro-actively transliterated it as posted ("karakurenai"). I realize that including the "wi," is in order to give off precisely the old feeling, but if understandable romanization is the goal here, then I feel my version is at least justifiable.

Track 4 had been "Yuuya Muya" from "有や無や." I have corrected this to reflect the kanji compound, "有耶無耶" from which, "有や無や" is a derivative, simplified version, and have adjusted the transliteration to reflect the original reading (with the included kanji) as opposed to the simplified.

Track 6 has been corrected to read "Yogoto no Yami no Okusoku de" from "Yoru-goto no yami no okusoku de."

Track 7 may or may not be correct in its reading, however, I feel confident of the context at the very least. "Tokoyo no sou ken kami" has been amended to read "Tokoyo no Soukenshin," as the ken betwixt the "Sou" and "shin" holds the meaning of "concurrence in addition to X," and acts as a compounding mechanism. For example: "オーナー兼経営者" can be translated as Owner and Manager, but really denotes the meaning "Owner while also Manager." "Shin" was used instead of "kami/gami" because I felt that that onyomi readings of both would make more sense then a combination of on/kun.

Tracks 11-16 were all amended in the Romaji listing to reflect the replacements of vocal parts with a shakuhachi, Japanese flute, equivalent.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Those sound like sensible changes to me.

By the way, where did the romanization for 桂琳 come from?