VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:31 PM

Okay, I added a bunch of information for the soundtrack:

* Tracklist with times.
* Some album notes (you got the album for preordering at lots of sites. It's still a Steam key so it didn't matter where you got it from.)
* All liner notes (these are available as text in a PDF file.)
* Cover art (the cover art on the MP3s is really crappy, but they included mid and high resolution images in the folder.)
* Price (the game's $14.99. So the price is $14.99.)
* Alternate album title (that's the name in the ID3 tags.)

Um. That's it.

I wish I could play the game, but it's x64 only and nobody warned me about that. Bleh.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:23 AM

Oh, since I realized we have the original composer for Strider in the database, I went ahead and added him as a featured composer since some of the songs use arranged portions of the original game's music (most notably the first track.) And since Mollo's primarily a music arranger, I put him there as well.

I'm not sure if this uses any music from Strider 2 since I don't own that game.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:32 AM
VGMdb Staff

Gotta ask (even though I plan to get this later - I use Win7 64 bit XD), are there some Russian sounding vocals in any of the tracks? Because it mentions translations by Victor Chaga. If that's the case you can put Chaga in the lyricist field too (we also use it for translators).
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
Gotta ask (even though I plan to get this later - I use Win7 64 bit XD), are there some Russian sounding vocals in any of the tracks? Because it mentions translations by Victor Chaga. If that's the case you can put Chaga in the lyricist field too (we also use it for translators).
There's chanting in some of the tracks. Track 2 (Kazakh City) has vocals but I don't know if it's supposed to be Russian.

Someone's already uploaded the whole thing to Youtube if you want to check it out.

Also! I had no idea that this was also released on CD in Japan! Hopefully we'll get one released in America eventually.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 09:28 AM
VGMdb Staff

Thanks man, I've listened to it on YT and added Chaga.
Seems like a very nice OST.

Last edited by Efendija; Feb 20, 2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:12 AM

Yep this soundtrack is on the 3rd CD of Sound Chronicle set included with Limited Edition of the game in Japan. Available through e-Capcom.
The whole deal is reminiscent of Bionic Commando Rearmed CD - developed by non-JP studio, scored by non-JP composer, with CD coming out only in JP.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/strider/product.html
http://www.e-capcom.com/strider/
http://vgmdb.net/album/42807

Vocals in 2nd track "Kazakh City" are hard to make out, as a native Russian speaker I can't tell you if they are in Russian or not, the way the choir sings them could be in any other language.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:43 AM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, it's impossible to be sure, this being Mollo, choir could be US singers. However I decided to add Chaga anyway because both him and Mollo were regular arrangers for some of John Powell's soundtracks and Chaga besides the expected arranger role also has Russian translation credits (or could be just transliteration) for one such (animation) album that I know of (Happy Feet Two).
So I think the non-Russian choir tries to sing in Russian even for just a single track.

Last edited by Efendija; Feb 20, 2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 01:35 PM

I thought I might as well check the game files for the credits in case it's all plaintext, but everything's compressed in a format I don't recognize so nope. :P

Once I build my new computer - and if someone doesn't beat me to the punch - I'll go through the credits and add any missing information.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
So I think the non-Russian choir tries to sing in Russian even for just a single track.
This reminded me of The Hunt for Red October, that a scene in the beginning of the movie where on a submarine the russians played by americans were singing a Soviet national anthem... with those thick american accents, made the scene unintentionally funny.

Foxhack, as for the credits they can be viewed from the menu without beating the game, so I looked at them and no new information there, the only music related stuff is - Music by Mollo.
Screen:
Spoiler:
Old Feb 20, 2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLO View Post
This reminded me of The Hunt for Red October, that a scene in the beginning of the movie where on a submarine the russians played by americans were singing a Soviet national anthem... with those thick american accents, made the scene unintentionally funny.
Oh man. I know how that is. I see Latinos / Latin Americans try to do a Mexican Spanish accent and they end up sounding like something out of cable TV over there. We laugh at that. :P

Quote:
Foxhack, as for the credits they can be viewed from the menu without beating the game, so I looked at them and no new information there, the only music related stuff is - Music by Mollo.
Thanks for checking.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:07 AM
VGMdb Staff

Kazakh city choir seems to be really in Russian:

Quote:
And for the ‘Kazakh City’ zone I wanted to create music to represent the oppressed people of Kazakh. For inspiration, I studied the former Kazakhstan’s national anthem and once I had the tune worked out, I had my good friend, Victor Chaga translate the text into Russian (his native language). Then I recorded the tune with singing and chanting like a Russian make choir. The whole process of creating music for that zone was quite fun.

Whole interview here:
https://www.sumthing.com/blog/stride...er-liberation/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhack View Post
Oh, since I realized we have the original composer for Strider in the database, I went ahead and added him as a featured composer since some of the songs use arranged portions of the original game's music (most notably the first track.) And since Mollo's primarily a music arranger, I put him there as well.
Just a little more info about this, Mollo specifies (in this other interview) which tracks are arrangements:

Quote:
We decided early on that it would be a good idea to re-arrange some of the classic Strider tunes for the game and we spent a good deal of time listening thru Strider's back catalog of material to hand pick certain tunes. Of course we had to use "Raid." That was the first one we all agreed on. We also decided to include "Coup," "Mass Cloud," "Armed Fortress," "Egypt," "Siberian Tunnel", and the original "Kazakh Theme." We thought those tunes were the most iconic and best suited to accompany Strider as he enters the modern day. The remainder of the material consists of original tracks that I composed for the game.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:42 PM

Ooh, neat.

I wish I could actually play this game. Argh.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 09:21 AM

aha so it is in Russian. well i can't make out a single word xD
Old Mar 3, 2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
aha so it is in Russian. well i can't make out a single word xD
Well, I was able to pick up a line from Grandmaster Meio track. I'm pretty sure it reads "O, Velikiy Meio" (means "Oh, Meio the Great" in English) then a tiny bit that is gibberish and I'm not sure about the next line but it sounds not too far away from "Vsemoguschiy Meio" (Meio the All powerful/Almighty) and the rest is gibberish again. The accent is horrendous, lol.

Anyway I asked the composer if he can point me to the actual lyrics for Kazakh Theme or its english version (before the translation) at least. Not keeping my expectations high for an answer but who knows, right?

Last edited by VegaMan; Mar 3, 2014 at 04:22 PM.