VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 2, 2009, 05:32 PM

Default Redbook releases?

Hi guys.

I'm curious about something. VGMdb is such an insanely comprehensive and all-encompassing site that it has basically become the internet's best game music database (at least in the English-speaking world). But, why aren't redbook VGM soundtracks covered? They seem like they should be on here to me, since (1) they are indeed game music (most often the actual soundtrack as heard in the game), (2) they are professionally pressed and officially released products, and (3) often times, they contain music not available anywhere else, and are thus of interest to VGM fanatics. I'm currently listening to the PS1 Wipeout XL redbook soundtrack, and its some great stuff, in fact very different (and in my opinion superior) than the officially released soundtrack CD. Many PC-Engine CD and older PC games have redbook audio, and in many cases there is no official stand-alone OST release. Seems to me that if VGMdb is to be truly comprehensive, we should look into adding redbooks to the database.

Just a thought. Sorry if we already have redbooks added and I missed it somehow, I just recently started checking out the architecture of the site more in-depth, so much here is new to me.

(And sorry for posting this here, I wanted to post it in the "Organization Suggestion" forum, but it wouldn't let me post there for some reason).
Old Nov 2, 2009, 07:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It's coming soon, although I can't put a specific timetable on it. "Redbook" audio are actually contained on software media, so they didn't fit in the album database. Once we integrate tracks and media with "products", we'll be able to catalog such entries.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:20 PM

One thing that I think would make some redbook "albums" difficult to catalog would be the fact that many of them don't have a tracklisting with official titles for the music. Would it be a case of adapting song titles based on where they appear in the game, or would they just be unlabeled?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:12 PM

I think arbitrary titles would be better than no titles, so long as it's clearly signposted that they're unofficial.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 02:32 PM

I really look forward to this - it would be an useful source to determine which games have redbook audio. I know I have several on PSone but I always forget which ones. ^_^