VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 2, 2020, 05:16 PM
Trusted Editor

- Added Album Info from inserts (note: performer credits are not listed but likely can just be copied from any of the previous Final Fantasy VIII Original Soundtrack releases)
- Added track times from BD source
- Added/Linked artists, engineers
Old Feb 18, 2020, 08:51 PM

The listing is inconsistent with my copy off of cdjapan.

- The final track, 74. Overture, is 3:38.420 from my disc (file 00078.m2ts). This is also consistent with the MP3 copy stored in the MP3DATA folder on the disc. Neither version is 3:50

- Three bonus tracks are present on the disc and not listed.
1) Don't Be Afraid (BONUS VER.), chapter 75, file 00069.m2ts, length is 2:52.440.
2) Force Your Way ~ Never Look Back ~ The Man with the Machine Gun (BONUS VER.), chapter 76, file 00070.m2ts, length is 10:07.510
3) Only a Plank Between One and Perdition (BONUS VER.), chapter 77, file 00090.m2ts, length 2:24.645.

Since the lengths on the bonus tracks seem to be the same more or less, I suspect these tracks are actually just different videos to accompany the same copy of the song. These bonus tracks are also only 48 KHz vs the 96 used for the main version.

I post this because maybe it's possible other people have a different disc? I don't want to go clobber the existing time when all the other tracks line up.

Last edited by InfernoBlade; Feb 18, 2020 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Explanation of post.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 04:25 PM
Trusted Editor

I was the one that added the times, they are from the same BD Source and there is only one source. Track 74 (Chapter 75) starts at 04:06:25 and ends at 04:10:15, which is 00:03:50. I don't have any software other than MakeMKV to read BDs but it reads Title 00 as 75 chapters consisting of 79 segments with a duration of 04:10:15. My guess is that chapter 75, which is presumably 00078.m2ts also includes additional segments in the chapter. At the end of chapter 75 it cuts to the "Final Fantasy VIII Original Soundtrack Revival Disc" image which is probably the 12 seconds of silence included in the 3:50 track time.

I don't like to just copy and paste the MP3 times to the tracklist because they are often incorrect, or at least incomplete. And I don't like to just copy the BD chapter order either, because often times those are cut up or segmented into multiple chapters and/or completely out of order on the BD. There were a few previous discs that actually had 2 second chapters and the rest of the song in the next chapter and technically they have to be merged to become the full audio track. I also do not include the bonus tracks in the tracklist since they are not printed in the physical media and only mentioned as bonuses. And you are correct, they are the same songs but they are just put to different videos. It's often times battle / field songs but with different battles or field images.

There is no real rule on how to add times for these BD sources so we can go with either. A primary reason (besides contextual information) for having tracktimes is so they can be freedb queried, but there is no way to freedb query a BD audio disc. You have to rip it, and if you're going to rip it you need to match the track times to what was ripped (except for instances where you need to clearly merge two chapters into one track). You could make an argument that the times should match the mp3s in case people want to freedb query those but they are already tagged so I'm not sure why you would want or need to.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 02:39 PM

The problem with that approach is that you're assigning everything after the last track ends as time on the last track. If you look at the segment map in MakeMKV for that title, which was the tool you mentioned, the end of the album looks like this:
... ,71,73,74,75,76,77,78,72,72,72,0

78 is 00078.m2ts as I mentioned, and then it switches to play the FFVIII logo for 3 seconds, 3 times in a row (00072.m2ts), then plays a black screen for 3 seconds (00000.m2ts). These are really not part of the album at all, no music is playing, it's just the equivalent of the FBI warnings that would play at the end of movie discs.

Also, chapters are entirely optional as far as blurays go. Relying on them for time information is okay, but it shouldn't be the only signal.

IMO it really, really makes more sense to use the timecode from both the MP3 version and from the actual song on the disc, not the song + the 4 outro video files that play after it. As it is, you end up preventing anyone from looking up the tracks based on timecodes through freedb, which is how I found out there was a problem with this even in the first place.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 09:04 AM

Hi there,

I added bonus tracks as 75 and 76 songs in the tracklist since both of them has track number on their mp3 tag:

https://imgur.com/5lrGPHI

https://imgur.com/6hEer4s
Old Mar 19, 2021, 09:42 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viento View Post
Hi there,

I added bonus tracks as 75 and 76 songs in the tracklist since both of them has track number on their mp3 tag:

https://imgur.com/5lrGPHI

https://imgur.com/6hEer4s
I deleted the bonus track tracklist. Bonus mp3s are not part of the physical media and should be listed separately in the Album Info section, which they already are. They are not part of the TOC for the Bluray (because they are just in the zip file) so should not be included.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 09:45 AM

I added the OBI and the booklet. In both they are listed as track 75 and 76. Since it's a Blu-ray video, for me it has sense to be in the tracklist.

EDIT: They are listed already in the BR TOC:

https://media.vgm.io/albums/78/90787...9c3c15258e.jpg
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:06 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viento View Post
I added the OBI and the booklet. In both they are listed as track 75 and 76. Since it's a Blu-ray video, for me it has sense to be in the tracklist.

EDIT: They are listed already in the BR TOC:

https://media.vgm.io/albums/78/90787...9c3c15258e.jpg
They are not part of the physical bluray TOC. They exist just in the zip file that is on the bluray. They are labeled as "Bonus MP3 Tracks" and mp3 tracks are not part of the physical media.

To summarize, if you put it in a bluray player, does it play the bonus mp3 tracks? No, it does not. You have to do extra steps to extract the zip file off the bluray disc to get them. Hence, not part of the tracklist and it is just additional info.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
They are not part of the physical bluray TOC. They exist just in the zip file that is on the bluray. They are labeled as "Bonus MP3 Tracks" and mp3 tracks are not part of the physical media.

To summarize, if you put it in a bluray player, does it play the bonus mp3 tracks? No, it does not. You have to do extra steps to extract the zip file off the bluray disc to get them. Hence, not part of the tracklist and it is just additional info.
I see the point, but I can't agree with it, since they are listed as tracks 75 and 76 and they are physically inside the BR. You also have to do extra steps to obtain tacks 1-74, since they are not present in the BR, they are part of a video media.

I would agree with this rule if they are extra track as digital bonus with download code, but I insist, extra steps or not, they are included in the physical Blu-ray. In 50 years, if you have this BR and a BR player, you will be able to listen tracks 75 and 76, and they will be listed as tracks 75 and 76 in the physical soundtrack (as BR server) and in the booklet.

This opens another door: what about the 3 songs included as a video? Can be played without extra steps and can be played after track 74:
- Don't be Afraid (BONUS VER.)
- Force Your Way - Never Look Back - The Man with the Machine Gun (BONUS VER.)
- Only a Plank Between One and Perdition (BONUS VER.)

if we are strict with this rule, they should be tracks 75, 76 and 77

To summarize, I abide by the rule despite not agreeing with it, since as you can see it is subject to interpretation.