VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:06 PM

Amazing job! Big props to you, this is quite a large project to undertake and you did it very well!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:10 PM

...and I keep correcting stuff. You know, the little things. Those .00x parts of updates (v1.0001).

By correcting, I mean the output (layout, design, pages), not the notes.

Thank you very much!!!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:15 PM

I'm sure you learnt a lot from doing this. Care to share the challenges you may have had while going through the process? Also, what program are you using?

http://www.youtube.com/Resonaga
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:04 PM

I remember back a decade ago, I wanted to transcribe Yoshi’s Island ending music note for note. I found it to be a hassle, because I had to get used to the fact that the Super NES only has 8 channels of polyphony. This means that a song with held notes like the piano part of that ending theme, is switched around channels—sometimes in a seemingly chaotic way. Other times, channels are used to simulate reverb. Back then, I recorded each channel individually (using a SPC player with channel masking capabilities) and then used—the then pretty buggy—Audacity so that I could easily isolate tracks, stop, pause, etc.

Actually, I do quite the same now, but this SPC player, SNES SPC700 Player, is a lot more intuitive so that the workflow is a lot better.

What I used:
  • Sibelius 7;
  • my musical ear;
  • Adobe Acrobat X Pro;
  • Klemm’s November music font;
  • SNES SPC700 Player, English Version;
  • high quality images for the cover and back cover;
  • Photoshop for making the Seal of Quality logo transparant;
  • my knowledge of music theory and rules of music notation;
  • Word 2010 for the contents, foreword, and cover and back cover;
  • Gardner Read’s book: Music Notation, A Manual of Modern Practice for when I needed some guidance.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:41 PM

Out of curiosity, did you split each SPC channel into its individual parts? When I made MIDIs many many years ago I did that.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:55 AM

I don’t understand the question. I just said, ‘...I recorded each channel individually (using a SPC player with channel masking capabilities) and then used—the then pretty buggy—Audacity so that I could easily isolate tracks, stop, pause, etc.’ and later on that I practically did the same thing using that SPC player.

Is that what you mean or something else?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:57 AM

Thanks for all of your hard work. The notation looks pretty clean, aside from the key signature on the Hyrule Field theme, which I wouldn't recommend keeping, even if it does accurately describe the mode used.

A question about the fortune teller theme. It sounds octatonic to my ear, but the collection replaces C with D natural. Do you know why?

I remember hearing it as a kid and thinking it sounded off-key, but now I'm used to all those weird tritone relations.

Last edited by Xenofan 29A; Dec 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:46 PM

What do you mean by it replacing C with D natural?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:59 PM

An octatonic scale on B-flat would have the following notes:

B-flat, C, D-flat, E-flat, E, F#, G, and A, or B-flat, C-flat, D-flat, E-double flat, F-flat, F, G, and A-flat.

The notes are mostly in the first, but looking at it again, the A-flat is also an outlier. It sounds octatonic, though.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:09 PM

If there are any other transcribed versions from other people/companies, did you compare against them to see if they were the same, you heard more things than they did and it may have been based on different versions, or you heard less and need to go back to recheck?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:56 PM

A lot of the transcriptions sold in sheet music books in Japan are simplified, so they'll alter the key if it's hard to play and cut things out if they're seen as less necessary. I wouldn't advise using them to make transcriptions.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:48 AM

To me, the main melody looks like a whole tone scale.

D-E-F#-Ab-Bb-(C)

The Eb and Db on the first stave are 5ths of the Ab and Gb (F#).
The Abb is a leading neighbour to the Gb (or G to F#).

I could respell the accidentals to give more structure. I prefer flats over sharps, which is why I started with Gb.

I could respell E to Fb to get Gb-Ab-Bb-D-Fb: Gb9+.

@Fearin: I listened to the source file, isolated. This is just like having the master tape of a CD recording—being able to mute channels at will. Therefore, I didn’t need a reference (other transcriptions).

Last edited by Manolito Mystiq; Dec 20, 2012 at 02:20 AM.