VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Feb 18, 2010, 05:18 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Default Track Data Overhaul: Where Are We?

And is there anything I can do to help? I know this has been planned for a while, but I'm having trouble finding any solid info about the status of this project.

---

In the meantime I have some input towards fields to use on the revision of the tracklist table (assuming we would still have one) which would relate through to the individual tracks. Otherwise, these would be applied as fields on the track title table... Language & Type

Language simply defines the primary language of the tracklist. In the case of an original tracklist which contains track names of different languages, the language should be based on the country of origin for the album.

Type defines any special characteristics of the tracklist, and we may even benefit from a dropdown standardization much in the same way we have for the scan titles (e.g. "Original", "(Original) Corrected", "(Original) Translation", "Sound Test", "Game Scene" etc.). "Original" can be assigned to multiple tracklists per album, in the cases where a soundtrack has a multi-language tracklist.

When displaying titles normally, we could show it like "English Sound Test", but could shorten "English Original" to "English*" (or maybe replacing the asterisk with a graphic or having the tab a different color) and "English Translation" to just "English".

The "default tracklist" for anything could automatically be decided by the user's options based on both a language preference and a type preference, defaulting to an order or precedence if either does not exist for an album. So If my default is "English" and "Original", it will try to look for "English*" first. And if that does not exist, fall back to, say, "English". And if that does not exist, it would fall back to, say, "Japanese*". My example's complicated, but I could work out real details even in query form if need be.