VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:58 PM

DoDonPachi Maximum is for Windows Phone. I didn't see an option for that in platforms represented, so I just used "Mobile Phone."
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:03 AM

I've not closely followed Cave's recent releases, but is DoDonPachi Maximum's soundtrack made up of tracks from the past installments? Kudo and Chiba are the featured composers, if so.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:08 PM

This album is a BTO release (which VGMdb can't be able to handle well) and 25 April is actually the day the order period started. Cave stated there was no plan of further printing anymore, and it gets highly likely that now is the last chance to purchase this album - since today Cave announced they're closing their online shops. Maybe Cave is going to withdraw from shmup games and focus on mobile games. And if they ever release any soundtrack in the future, it will be an enclosure.
Old May 1, 2012, 12:55 AM

You mean, as in no printing of any of their OSTs?
I knew about their international shop closing down, but not really about their main japanese one.
There's been quite a few talks about Cave quitting doing shmups, but apparently SDOJ is doing really well at the arcades, so maybe they could end up reconsidering their plans. Only time will tell.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old May 1, 2012, 03:13 AM

@Cedille BTO?

It's a shame the music releases will have to suffer, but this doesn't surprise me much after the crash and burn over the XBox360 ports.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbfish View Post
@Cedille BTO?

It's a shame the music releases will have to suffer, but this doesn't surprise me much after the crash and burn over the XBox360 ports.
Burned to order. In other words, it's printed on-demand.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:29 AM

Well I was successfully scared into ordering this. Can you guys provide links on Cave closing down their online store and where people are talking about them moving away from STGs?
Old May 1, 2012, 12:21 PM

The Cave closing down their online store message is the top jpeg on the official website:

cave-shop.jp
Old May 4, 2012, 12:55 PM

Updated product links to DoDonPachi as well, since the 2nd disc includes a full arrangement of the original DDP.
Which was about time, it was one of the only 2 remaining games to receive some kind of official arrangement treatment, yet. Really looking forward to it.

Old May 4, 2012, 06:59 PM

CAVE was supposedly working on a "huge shooting game" back in March, so I don't know about them quitting shmups so soon.
Old May 24, 2012, 04:33 AM

Apprently these albums are supposed to ship on June 1st, should we put that down as the release date?
Old May 25, 2012, 01:39 AM

Is it really 1st? The mail I received (and others apparently) said it would be sometime in early June, but they could ship items in sequence. As I posted above, we've not established any standard on the release date of this kind of productions, so there are multiple choices (the first or last day of the ordering period, the possible earliest receipt or delivery date, blah) to go with.
Old May 25, 2012, 09:24 AM

I've heard "1st" by multiple people who received those emails, but I don't know.

I think it'd be a bit silly to use the ordering start date, since these were supposed to be printed on demand and shipped later. It seems the same as considering the reveal date to be the release date, honestly.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:38 PM

As long as some explanations are in the note, I think which date is displayed on the album page is a secondary matter. We generally have the same issue with Doujin releases (shop vs event).
Old May 29, 2012, 02:30 PM

Apparently, as I've been told at Solaris Japan, the album's gotten delayed, again, until next month.
Ugh... is this a bad feeling, I have? I hope it's just a minor issue and it comes through in the end.

Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:02 PM

Perhaps this is due to large amount of orders they've received? Ugh. This and Senko no Ronde DESIRES ROULETTE Soundtrack x Novel makes an unprecedented event of me ordering two seriously delayed vgm albums.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:57 PM

http://cave-gameshow.cocolog-nifty.com/caveshop/
Quote:
(商品紹介に書き忘れてましたが、最大往生のトラック1~13までは曲間のギャップを入れておりません。ノ ンストップミックス。)
This may mean the first disc virtually have only three tracks (1-13 in one, 14 and 15). I wonder we ever have any way to get an index and play each single track... It'd be helpful if we're allowed to have multiple track lists with different lengths, one of which is for freedb purposes, and the other for showing each track names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
I've heard "1st" by multiple people who received those emails, but I don't know.
You seem to be right, since some people apparently just got it!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 07:43 PM

It sounds like it could potentially be a cd mixed album. No way Cave is doing one large track.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
You seem to be right, since some people apparently just got it!
It seems so; mine actually just shipped. So when they were talking about being delayed to next month, they were probably talking about june, and not july like it was implied. In any way, good, now only to wait a little bit.

Old Jun 2, 2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1 View Post
It sounds like it could potentially be a cd mixed album. No way Cave is doing one large track.
It's more like those tracks having no fading out.

Btw, does anybody know if Makoto Asada (Cave's producer) has some musical skills? He's credited as "Sound Director & Arranger" with Takami and Umemoto and as much as I suspect Asada's role was direction, I added him to the arranger list for now (his liner note particularly doesn't back up either)
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:21 AM

Asada said something about being "apprenticed" to Ryu Umemoto and supposedly helped work on the Instant Brain soundtrack, right Despatche?

Last edited by KAI; Jun 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 01:41 PM

What do you think about the album, Cedille?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritsukai View Post
Asada said something about being "apprenticed" to Ryu Umemoto and supposedly helped work on the Instant Brain soundtrack, right Despatche?
Interesting. I've checked the liner notes of IB, but somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1 View Post
What do you think about the album, Cedille?
I'd not call this as Namiki's best. When assighed to a sequel, he tends to feature the past materials, and not all of them are huge accomplishments, but Stage 3 is pretty darned good nonetheless. Perhaps one of his strongest compositions ever.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 01:47 AM

I'd like to know where these funny "translations" come from. They're katakana, so can we just use romaji for this, please?

Stage 3 is godlike but I don't like the repeating bit.

Last edited by Despatche; Jun 5, 2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
I'd like to know where these funny "translations" come from. They're katakana, so can we just use romaji for this, please?
So I removed it and please add yours. VGMdb doesn't like mixing Romaji + English translations (I submitted a couple but changed) and the disc 2 is actually fully translated before, that's why I added an English only tracklist.

Last edited by Cedille; Jun 5, 2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 08:49 AM

$150 on eBay already. :/
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:50 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I liked your translation Cedille, you should leave it IMO. You don't have to set it as default if you aren't confident but it looked great to me.

Quote:
What do you mean with this? They were perfectly reasonable translations to me.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 05:01 AM

Thanks! Now I add both English and Romaji tracklists. I see why some people may want to keep most on the disc 1 just in romaji, so one could add a "hybrid" (Romaji + English) tracklist, but again I'm not sure we have many precedent cases like such.

Some notes;
1-01 ~ 1-14: This time I used normal case, hoping it looks less funny.
1-15 & 1-16: Daioujou and Daifukkatsu were localized as DoDonPachi Blissful Death and Dodonpachi Resurrection, respectively, but Saidaioujou hasn't. So I leave this one in Romaji, but I know it can be seen as a bit weird (I just can't come up with a better solution until we get an official translation).

2-05: This one would normally read as Punshin/Funshin, but I'm pretty sure what Namiki meant here is Takumi.
2-13: Either "Emono" or "Kakusha" sounds much more natural, but Namiki would mean Treasure.

The rationale for the last two also explains why I take Toa over Toua, Taido over Taidou.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:55 AM

track 2 of disc 1 might be "Orchid". It lists "ラン " (Ran) in the booklet which is refered to english as in "Run". But "Ran" ("ラン ") works as noun for "Orchid" (あららぎ -> Araragi). And yes, ususally it is written in Katakana.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%...83%B3%E7%A7%91

Last edited by RomanticScent; Jun 6, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 04:31 PM
VGMdb Advisor

It could be 乱 too, more ballistic at least.