VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 6, 2009, 03:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I just rejected some tracklist changes, most of which were small capitalization changes that I didn't agree with, but there were also some person/place name changes like Jigrumunt -> Jigramunt which, at least according to the wikis, don't match the spelling that we in the west are using for the characters.

If any of the edits were proper or correct (see them here), we can discuss them here.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 05:32 AM

That edit history page is not publically linked anywhere, is it?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 06:30 AM
VGMdb Administrator

It is, though I didn't make it public because I wasn't happy with the diff algorithm. You can get to it by clicking on the little square next to "Edited by Lockshaw" on the bottom right of the album page. I need to ask Gigablah to see if he can come up with a good way to integrate it into the page.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 09:39 AM

Ah thanks, this will make tracking changes much easier than looking at the "updates" list and wondering what changed at all. =)
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:40 PM

I was always under the impression that when translating (or romanizing, actually), the Western names matter not. In Japan places, characters etc. may have official romanizations. Into my mind comes, for example, Grandia whose main characters are Justine and Fiena, not Justin and Feena like here. In this case I corrected a few small things like Eneomaios that has a distinct "i" in katakana. I don't think Western names should affect these even if they are very similar.

Other corrections were grammatic, like "bloodsoaked" instead of the two words written separately. Either together or with a hyphen but NOT separately as that changes the meaning. Toccata, as we all know, is a piece of music. It can't really be "into" something, it's written "for" something, in this case for afore-mentioned bloodsoaked darkness.

There's also capitalization of words in names. It's recommended that all particles, pronominals, articles and such should be left uncapitalized. Things are even moving into leaving only the first word capitalized and the rest uncapitalized as it is with other European languages. Personally I've named all my files this way. However, I didn't feel like pushing this to you.

On an additional note, I've wondered why it seems to be preferred to leave Akumajou untranslated even though it's widely known and translated as Demon castle. To have English and Japanese mixed together has always been a weird thing. It looks bad. Not to mention how it sounds.

The end of ranting. Feel free to share opinions on this.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 03:19 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm glad you posted, because when someone makes changes to an existing tracklist, I think that its' very beneficial to discuss the changes.

For the album titles, we felt that the important forms of the title were the romanized version, the original language version (Japanese in this case), and an English language version of the album title. Album titles often contain a game title, and when they do, I think it makes sense to use the official name of that game in the English language because it provides relevant information to someone searching for info about that album. To take an example from a famous anime movie, Spirited Away has several title options:

Romanized Title: Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
English Literal Title: The Spiriting Away of Sen and Chihiro
English Official Title: Spirited Away

Only two of those are real titles (romanized and English official.) The English literal is a valid translation of the Japanese title, but that's not what was used for release. For example in gaming, consider Terranigma. The Japanese name is Tenchi Sozo, which means The Creation of Heaven and Earth. No one calls the game The Creation of Heaven and Earth, so there isn't any point to using a literal translation of the Japanese titles for cases like this. They just obfuscate.

I think a similar argument can be made for the name translations. We don't just use straight romanizations for them (or else Cloud & Barret would be Kuraudo & Baretto). Of course, I do know that we aren't completely consistent on this. I think that in this case, both of the names you changed (Jigramunt/Jigrumunt and Eneomaos/Eneomaios) are practically homophones, and both versions of each of these could probably be rendered with the same katakana, given English's inexact relationship between spelling and pronunciation.

One more thing about translation, and this is one that I struggle with all the time. What we're trying to do is capture the full meaning and spirit of what is being said, rather than just rely on a literal translation, and I often fail at this. "The sound can be heard" is an accurate literal translation, but "I can hear the sound" is a better one because that's the true meaning. Tenchi Sozo the game is Terranigma in English, and not The Creation of Heaven and Earth for the same reason.

---------------------------

So anyway, looking over your edits, and after reading your explanations above, I agree that your grammatical changes are all improvements, so we should go with those.

I disagree on most of the capitalization changes, mostly because I think that some words like Who and Your should be capitalized in the titles. I think I missed a "to" though, which should have been lower case. There are so many different title capitalization schemes out there that, in effect there's really no official one. We could probably define one, though I'm not nearly as picky about these as I might appear to be.

Thank you for replying and voicing your rationale. We have to evaluate all of the public tracklist edits just based on what we know, so I wish that more people would post a justification when they make subjective changes.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 09:27 PM

I was wondering about this (Disc 1 Track 29):

Quote:
アンニュイな椅子部屋のワルツ
Using Robo-Ky* as a reference, アンニュイ most likely translates to ennui, an English word based on the word (Pardon my French) enui. In other words, ennui is already English in the same way words like Tsunami are, so there is no actual need to translate it.

*Robo-Ky is a character from the fighting game Guilty Gear XX and he has the word "ennui" etched onto this belt. Robo-Ky is a robotic imitation of another character, Ky Kiske, who is French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousto View Post
I was always under the impression that when translating (or romanizing, actually), the Western names matter not.
I agree with this. We should translate from the source by itself although the official translations can provide a good reference. I've always felt that just because something is officially translated, it doesn't guarantee the translation is right since professional translators have other things to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
For the album titles, we felt that the important forms of the title were the romanized version, the original language version (Japanese in this case), and an English language version of the album title. Album titles often contain a game title, and when they do, I think it makes sense to use the official name of that game in the English language because it provides relevant information to someone searching for info about that album.
So the English album title line (i.e. what it is officially known outside Japan) is less about translation and more about providing terms for English-speaking users to search for?

In that case, Rockman is a little lacking in that regard; I barely get any results searching for "Mega Man". There's also the Tales of Destiny 2/Tales of Destiny 2 (PS1 USA)/Tales of Eternia problem.

Quote:
Romanized Title: Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
English Literal Title: The Spiriting Away of Sen and Chihiro
English Official Title: Spirited Away

Only two of those are real titles (romanized and English official.) The English literal is a valid translation of the Japanese title, but that's not what was used for release.
I'd note that the English official title is also a valid yet incomplete translation but is useful because it provides search terms for English-speaking users, as you intended.

Quote:
What we're trying to do is capture the full meaning and spirit of what is being said, rather than just rely on a literal translation, and I often fail at this. "The sound can be heard" is an accurate literal translation, but "I can hear the sound" is a better one because that's the true meaning. Tenchi Sozo the game is Terranigma in English, and not The Creation of Heaven and Earth for the same reason.
Hmm, well I'd have to disagree with this point. Terranigma (i.e. Mystery of the Earth/Earth Mystery) while a clever title, is more or less made up.

Your "I can hear the sound" point sounds... sound but in the case of 天地創造, in my opinion, it's pretty straightforward as far as translation goes: Creation of Heaven and Earth is both accurate and literal, and reflects the true meaning.

So "Terranigma" and "Spirited Away" are both valid yet incomplete translations but are there, not because they are accurate, coherent and complete translations that reflect the true meaning of the original Japanese title, but mainly because that is what they are known outside Japan, and that is what search terms Westerners will use?

With that in mind, I still think there needs to be 2 English titles to accomodate for this. 1 line for the English literal translation (for informational purposes and to address Jousto's point about Akumajou Dracula/Demon Castle) and 1 line for the official English "translation" (what it is known to Western audiences).
Old Jan 11, 2009, 05:50 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
Hmm, well I'd have to disagree with this point. Terranigma (i.e. Mystery of the Earth/Earth Mystery) while a clever title, is more or less made up.

Quote:
With that in mind, I still think there needs to be 2 English titles to accomodate for this. 1 line for the English literal translation (for informational purposes and to address Jousto's point about Akumajou Dracula/Demon Castle) and 1 line for the official English "translation" (what it is known to Western audiences).
I suppose it could be added as an alternate translation in the optional 4-and-beyond line. It'll mean for some albums we will have 5 titles, which would be getting kind of long. However, I still disagree with it being a valid title, because a name is a name, and I think a game title acts more like a name in this context. When you translate Touhou Vocal Collection into Oriental Vocal Collection, you've completely lost all meaning. Maybe it's something for the notes field.

I think that Google searches somewhat verify that, for this Castlevania album, the majority seem to be following what I'm perscribing here:

"akumajo dracula" -- 66,200 hits
"akumajou dracula" -- 56,400 hits
"demon castle dracula" -- 6910 hits
"akumajou doracula" -- 1 hit

I tossed that last one in there because, I forgot to mention that we've been treating the somewhat piecemeal, where some zones get romanized while others are translated. The game name often stays romaji, while descriptive stems like Music Collection get translated to English. More to the point, we almost always un-romanize the katakana borrow words, so Dracula instead of Doracur(l)a. This is for readability as much as anything. I'd hate to see an Orijinaru Sandotrakku on every page because I don't think it provides anything useful. The romanized fields are there tell us how to pronounce the Japanese titles in English, so it's silly to re-romanize a word of English origin into something that looks like jibberish.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I know that's the official name outside Japan (I owned the game at one point), it's still (partially) made up though (in terms of translation accuracy) . Terranigma = Official English title? Yes. Terranigma = translation of Tenchi Souzou? ...partially.

To use another example to show what I'm getting at: Gyakuten Saiban/Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. In this case though, the latter was completely made up and has nothing to do with the original title.

Anyway, I'd rather call it Akumajou Dracula myself, and I also agree with your katakana loan word issue, which I don't think anyone is arguing against.

Last edited by layzee; Jan 11, 2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:16 PM

I've been trying to update some of the translations for the VGM albums I have over the past few days. While I'm here, I'm going to change some of the names in this tracklist to match the names in the English version of the game, since that seems to be the direction the tracklists are heading now.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 05:30 AM

First prints came with a promo poster, later prints did not (round sticker on shrinkwrap if yours has a poster).
Old Apr 23, 2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
First prints came with a promo poster, later prints did not (round sticker on shrinkwrap if yours has a poster).
Speaking of the poster, it would have been nice had it not been crammed into the front behind the tabs. Still, love the artwork, but does anyone else find funny that the proportions are really wrong? Hector's head is so damn small compared to his torso.

I have a wall scroll of this poster and I love it.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:06 PM

As I said, please don't link Konami's Yuka Watanabe to ADK Sound Factory's Yuka Watanabe, since it's almost clear that they're different persons (but it'd be my fault, if I should've submitted another entry with no Kanji name).
Old May 22, 2011, 09:34 AM

Teshigawara is undoubtedly the person who did the voice for 1-29. However, she is not credited in the game. Seems almost as if it's a kid she knows.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/ca...rkness/credits
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:08 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think the "Teshigawara" (勅使河原) here is Konami sound designer Tetsushi Takahashi (高橋哲史), based on some credits on Konami pages:
Both Tetsushi Takahashi and "Teshiga-wara" are credited in Portrait of Ruin, though: Takahashi as the sound director and Teshigawara for SFX. (I'm sure one or both of them is the "T" credited on the OST.)
Old May 8, 2013, 12:50 AM

I see on many of these Castlevania albums Belmont is being written as "Belmondo". I think Secret Squirrel's rationale about "Original Soundtrack" vs. "Orijinaru Sandotrakku" should apply here and the name should be written as it was intended to be in Western form. I'm not gonna go through all the Castlevania albums in search of every "Belmondo" and fix them, but when I happen to run into any I'll change them and I think others should do the same, unless it happens to have been written that way in the Latin alphabet on the CD's tracklist.
Old May 8, 2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
..., アンニュイ most likely translates to ennui, an English word based on the word (Pardon my French) enui. [...]
note that "enui" is archaic, current use of the word is "ennui"
(btw, saundotorakku)
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:27 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
I see on many of these Castlevania albums Belmont is being written as "Belmondo". I think Secret Squirrel's rationale about "Original Soundtrack" vs. "Orijinaru Sandotrakku" should apply here and the name should be written as it was intended to be in Western form. I'm not gonna go through all the Castlevania albums in search of every "Belmondo" and fix them, but when I happen to run into any I'll change them and I think others should do the same, unless it happens to have been written that way in the Latin alphabet on the CD's tracklist.
Just a quick note, "Belmondo" is officially used in Japan over "Belmont" (while it may sound Engrishy, it's not), so I guess the current translations are/were more literal.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:10 PM

So should people be changing it to Belmondo upon encountering a Belmont?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:20 AM
VGMdb Advisor

If you guys prefer the US name over the JP one, why not.
Just explaining the reason behind "Belmondo" is all.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:51 AM

maybe localizers hate jean-paul
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:06 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Maybe they hate the French :P
Old Sep 4, 2013, 03:58 PM

Yes, "Belmondo" is not simply a pure romanization (though it would actually be "Berumondo" then) and is meant to be the correct family name. Everyone should change every accidental "Belmont" they encounter to "Belmondo", unless the track title actually used "Belmont" to begin with (of course).

Honestly, I'm surprised this is coming up now, as opposed to years ago. I mean I think localizations are interesting as much as the next guy, but...

edit: Wow, we've got hyphens, en dashes, and em dashes here. Weird.

Last edited by Despatche; Sep 4, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 04:23 AM

Hi. Got a question about this soundtrack. Is this soundtrack extremely rare compared Castlevania: Lament of Innocence's Japan OST? This particular soundtrack seems to be expensively priced in Amazon JP.
Old May 6, 2021, 10:04 PM

Some of the titles used in the game's Sound Select differ slightly from the digital release, they are as follows...

1.02 Green Serenade
1.07 Encounter with Innocent Devil
1.14 Garden in Garibaldi
1.15 Belmont, The Legend
1.22 Vermilion End
1.28 A Town Called Cordova
1.29 Waltz of the Weary Chair Room
2.01 Insane Aristocracy
2.05 Visitor in a Silk Hat
2.22 Metamorphosis into Abyss

It would appear that the digital release titles are more faithful to the original Japanese though I personally think that "Waltz of the Weary Chair Room" & "Insane Aristocracy" have a better ring to them.
Though come to think of it, "アンニュイ" would actually be "ennui" which isn't the same thing as "lazy" or "weary."
Old May 7, 2021, 08:26 AM

It probably means "the waltz in the chair room with (an air of) ennui". So basically, the room with the chairs or the waltz itself is boring or tedious. This piece of music plays in sort of a bonus room in Cordova which collects all the chairs Hector has sat on throughout the game. Brace yourself, the room even offers explanations on the chairs! I wonder who came up with this sidequest as it's such a strange thing to include in the game.
Old May 7, 2021, 08:33 PM

Koji Igarashi appears to have some sort of obsession with chairs. This is presumably why the save point in Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is a fancy couch and the inclusion of a Chair Mimic enemy which you can also summon to sit on.