VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:50 AM
Radical Pan's Avatar
Radical Pan Radical Pan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
Well, I've noticed that my cd-dive is getting old, atleast it does sometime give that Suspicious position error on the last track and usually on the last second, some discs go ok fine, some don't.. So I wondered if that would have been the case.
My desktop's dive is LG, and my laptop is 4 days old, I just bought it, it's a customized Dell Studio XPS 16, but I don't know what brand is the dive inside it. I ripped one of my U2 CDs to test it in FLAC before doing it with this OST, and everything went well. I'm just curious I got the same error on the same track on 2 totally different computers.

I've tested the file that was successfully ripped without any Read/Sync errors, which said it had a "suspicious position" on 3:04... well, it doesn't. It sounds exactly the same as in the CD.

I moved some settings on EAC like someone told ZeaLitY, stuff like using the aspi interface instead of the native win32, and other recommendations as well, but it still was the same. I believe my copy has some error... oh, that luck of mine, lol. Aynway, I honestly don't know how, but late last night I was able to rip track 23, 100% error free, so I don't really know what's the matter but my supposition of my copy being messed up, even though it's scratch free, and a 100% clean, I'm a freak about keeping my CDs as clean as new.

I don't really know about those Accurate Rip logs, codes and stuff, but if anyone happens to know when this CD's gets up, please let me know so I can compare.

Thank you everyone for helping!

Last edited by Radical Pan; Sep 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:21 PM
Razakin's Avatar
Razakin Razakin is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hämeenlinna, Finland
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeaLitY View Post
(is that normal these days, by the way? To distribute an entire CD as one FLAC? I've been depacking them in foobar to individual songs; hope that's not violating some VGM commandment or something).
Well, atleast most of the japanese people who share game music do use single image (liquidAcid will correct me if the term is wrong) file either in APE, FLAC or WV format along with cuesheets + log files most of the times. Sure there's TTA-format which has gotten pretty popular in there, and also TAK.

So in short: Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Pan View Post
My desktop's dive is LG, and my laptop is 4 days old, I just bought it, it's a customized Dell Studio XPS 16, but I don't know what brand is the dive inside it. I ripped one of my U2 CDs to test it in FLAC before doing it with this OST, and everything went well. I'm just curious I got the same error on the same track on 2 totally different computers.
That really sounds like you have bad copy of the album, but if you can't hear any pops/glitches when you listen those two tracks, I don't see much reason to worry so much.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:29 PM
LiquidAcid LiquidAcid is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Pan View Post
stuff like using the aspi interface instead of the native win32, and other recommendations as well, but it still was the same.
Uhmm, that's not really a good recommendation. The ASP(I) interface and it's implementation has some serious flaws, so the best thing is to use SPTI (the native interface) if it's available. And it should be, at least on NT-based Windows systems (Win2K, WinXP, Vista, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Pan View Post
Aynway, I honestly don't know how, but late last night I was able to rip track 23, 100% error free, so I don't really know what's the matter but my supposition of my copy being messed up, even though it's scratch free, and a 100% clean, I'm a freak about keeping my CDs as clean as new.
Hmm, starts to sound like a system instability problem to me. Is this LG drive a PATA or SATA one? Maybe check the cabling or stuff. It's pretty weird when you can rip the disc one day and the next it fails (or vice versa). It should at least be reproducable... I mean, bad sectors don't go away overnight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Pan View Post
I don't really know about those Accurate Rip logs, codes and stuff, but if anyone happens to know when this CD's gets up, please let me know so I can compare.
The explanation on HydrogenAudio is quite good:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....le=AccurateRip

The CDDA (compact disc digital audio) is essentially a very bad way of accurately storing music. It has some big flaws which make it very hard to extract the data that was written to the media. Compared to a data CD it has very little error correction (and detection) code and also the offset problem, that EAC tries to handle (the question here is: where does the music begin, not all drives start extracting at the same position).

AccuRip is a nice way to "cure" these issues.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:40 PM
LiquidAcid LiquidAcid is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
Well, atleast most of the japanese people who share game music do use single image (liquidAcid will correct me if the term is wrong) file either in APE, FLAC or WV format along with cuesheets + log files most of the times. Sure there's TTA-format which has gotten pretty popular in there, and also TAK.
Huh? I'm not a native speaker, so I won't comment on whether the term is right or wrong. I wouldn't even know how to accurately describe it in german *g*

Anyway, I'm using a combination of ffmpeg and cuebreakpoints on linux to handle those rips (I also like splitted rips better, since they're easier to tag - at least for me).
ffmpeg can decode nearly anything to WAV (I think even TAK with a recent version) and after that you just feed the big WAV into cuebreakpoints which does the splitting.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Sep 21, 2009, 03:29 PM
Gigablah's Avatar
Gigablah Gigablah is offline
VGMdb Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,398
Default

The menu item in EAC for that operation is "Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet". So yeah, it's an image file.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Sep 21, 2009, 03:45 PM
Radical Pan's Avatar
Radical Pan Radical Pan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
That really sounds like you have bad copy of the album, but if you can't hear any pops/glitches when you listen those two tracks, I don't see much reason to worry so much.
Yup! That's why I'm calm now, but I'm a very curious person, and people who usually like FLACs are very picky, so in order to avoid re-ripping and re-uploading a dozen times, I wanted to get it right from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Uhmm, that's not really a good recommendation. The ASP(I) interface and it's implementation has some serious flaws, so the best thing is to use SPTI (the native interface) if it's available. And it should be, at least on NT-based Windows systems (Win2K, WinXP, Vista, etc.)
Well, I just tried using that since I don't have anything to lose, but it got more errors than the previous one, so I deleted the dll and went back to my previous settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Hmm, starts to sound like a system instability problem to me. Is this LG drive a PATA or SATA one? Maybe check the cabling or stuff. It's pretty weird when you can rip the disc one day and the next it fails (or vice versa). It should at least be reproducable... I mean, bad sectors don't go away overnight...
It's SATA, and I did check the cables because it has happened to me before, but they were ok. Actually, I ripped everything from my laptop, and when I started getting those errors, I went to my desktop to double check them, and I got the same issue in the same places, so I don't really know how was it possible to get those errors for 2 whole days, and then magically the next day it ripped smoothly and pretty much faster (I'm talking about track 23 btw).

Track 22 still gives me read/sync errors, I just got it right once, and with that "suspicious position" is pretty much nonexistent, there's nothing wrong with it, no glitches, no volume dropping... anything. So yeah, I will try ripping it in my friend's desktop this Friday maybe, but I still think I got a messed up copy... lucky me D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
The explanation on HydrogenAudio is quite good:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....le=AccurateRip

The CDDA (compact disc digital audio) is essentially a very bad way of accurately storing music. It has some big flaws which make it very hard to extract the data that was written to the media. Compared to a data CD it has very little error correction (and detection) code and also the offset problem, that EAC tries to handle (the question here is: where does the music begin, not all drives start extracting at the same position).

AccuRip is a nice way to "cure" these issues.
Ohh, now I get it, thanks for the info. I'm pretty much new ripping to FLAC, since my favorite ripping format have been high variable bit rates for years now, but I don't mind being asked for other formats than my favorite, and it always cool to learn new stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:06 AM
ZeaLitY's Avatar
ZeaLitY ZeaLitY is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Default

Okay, thanks guys. I didn't realize there was such a community here at first. What a fine project!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:47 PM
LiquidAcid LiquidAcid is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Pan View Post
and people who usually like FLACs are very picky, so in order to avoid re-ripping and re-uploading a dozen times, I wanted to get it right from the start.
The main point is that a proper lossless rip (which results in a 1:1 bit-perfect copy) doesn't really make much sense if it contains any errors.
You create these rips to archive them and use them for further processing instead of the original disc, and not so much because they sound "better". Most people will not be able to distinguish a LAME VBR V2 encode from the original source, apart from some special samples (mainly test samples to verify that the encoding engine is working correctly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Pan View Post
Well, I just tried using that since I don't have anything to lose, but it got more errors than the previous one, so I deleted the dll and went back to my previous settings.
You probably already messed up your system. Let me guess, you installed some package containing the original ASPI implementation by Adaptec?
I fragged a lot of Windows installations that way... *g*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Pan View Post
Ohh, now I get it, thanks for the info. I'm pretty much new ripping to FLAC, since my favorite ripping format have been high variable bit rates for years now, but I don't mind being asked for other formats than my favorite, and it always cool to learn new stuff.
If it's lossless it's not that important which format you use, since it's pretty trivial to convert from one format to another (and you don't lose any information). That's different from back then when there was only lossy compression. I still have some Ogg Vorbis files on my system which came from a audio CDR, which was mastered from MP3s. And these MP3s very probably not created straight from the source material
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:21 PM
Radical Pan's Avatar
Radical Pan Radical Pan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
You probably already messed up your system. Let me guess, you installed some package containing the original ASPI implementation by Adaptec?
I fragged a lot of Windows installations that way... *g*
I didn't, I just replaced a .dll, there wasn't a setup, and I've already ripped other stuff to FLAC with no problems at all o.o
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:40 PM
Metroid's Avatar
Metroid Metroid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Pan View Post
............
Just to let you know that the SQEX-10167~70: Chrono Trigger DS Version Original Soundtrack is already on the Accurate-rip database, now you can check if your Disc has any problems.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Dec 22, 2009, 04:28 PM
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
Secret Squirrel Secret Squirrel is online now
VGMdb Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 5,953
Default

I don't usually make a fuss about Romaji tracklist submissions, but I'm not in favor of the recent set of edits to the existing Romaji tracklist. Mostly it included changes to capitalization, basically capitalizing everything. Among the changes:

no -> No
to -> To
e -> he
O-uta -> O Uta

Curse Japanese for having so many Romanization styles, but these seem to be diverging from what we normally do. Anyway, I figured I'd open it up for discussion before confirming or rejecting, particularly the capitalization which I'm not sure on.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Dec 22, 2009, 05:54 PM
Gigablah's Avatar
Gigablah Gigablah is offline
VGMdb Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,398
Default

I vote for a revert. If you want to capitalize every first letter in a word (definitely not my style) you might as well run it through a script.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:08 PM
Xenofan 29A Xenofan 29A is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 609
Default

Now on US iTunes! Must have just been released recently.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:50 PM
DanteLectro's Avatar
DanteLectro DanteLectro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 270
Default

I didn't read through the posts, somebody might have already pointed it out; this version sounds harsh and unbalanced compared to the Original Sound Version from '95.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:24 AM
student41269's Avatar
student41269 student41269 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLectro View Post
I didn't read through the posts, somebody might have already pointed it out; this version sounds harsh and unbalanced compared to the Original Sound Version from '95.
Interesting... I don't have the OSV to compare. Can the difference be accounted for by remastering on the SQEX version, or was a different sound source used?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old Apr 23, 2013, 02:55 PM
DanteLectro's Avatar
DanteLectro DanteLectro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 270
Default

The tracks seem to have been redone with new midi samples, and the mastering brings the midrange (flutes, violins, horns, etc) too much forward. It sounds clearer, bigger, but also too loud and grating.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old Jul 31, 2014, 08:18 AM
TerraEpon's Avatar
TerraEpon TerraEpon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 423
Default

So comments in here seem to indicate Sekito composed disc 3, tracks 20-23. The page implies Mitsuda. Which is it?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old Jul 31, 2014, 01:30 PM
strugglepoo's Avatar
strugglepoo strugglepoo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 303
Default

Sekito, according to this interview: http://www.originalsoundversion.com/...ications-made/
__________________
last.fm // youtube // The Wind Waker II (2014)
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old Jun 18, 2015, 08:56 AM
Oniros's Avatar
Oniros Oniros is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 243
Default

The iTunes link does not correspond to this album. It should only be listed under this one. Please remove.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old Oct 3, 2015, 04:07 AM
Dag's Avatar
Dag Dag is offline
VGMdb Staff
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,279
Default

I was checking if this included Hyadain's version while I noticed track 3.10 Epoch is mispelt (changed?) in the JP booklet and official site. What the hell!
It says シルバート (Silbirt) instead of シルバード (Silbird). :S


Btw, about the difference between the SNES and DS, the hardware on the SNES only outputs 32khz, has minuscule samples, HW tin-can echo + filters (quite muffled).
The DS tracks are recreated to sound like the originals. Most samples used are very similar except a few like in 3.13 and 3.14, plus general balance changes.
Incidentally, the SSCX-10039 version (PSX) was also redone.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old Oct 3, 2015, 07:21 AM
Datschge's Avatar
Datschge Datschge is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
the hardware on the SNES only outputs 32khz, has minuscule samples, HW tin-can echo + filters (quite muffled).
The hardware reverb and FIR filter are perfectly fine. It's the lossy compression for the samples to make them plus song data and program fit in the available 32KB RAM that can make the result muffled (there are tricks to expand the RAM to all of 64KB, the second 32KB normally being reserved for calculating the reverb, and samples could have been essentially lossless if the developer chose so and manage with 78% bigger sample sizes).
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old Jan 23, 2017, 03:47 PM
RFGalaxy RFGalaxy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 60
Default

I'm perplexed as to where the title "After the Battle" comes from. The Japanese is 想いを超えて, which translates to something like "Exceeding Emotion".
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old Jan 23, 2017, 05:29 PM
Raizen1984's Avatar
Raizen1984 Raizen1984 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 216
Default

Just a random thought, but am I the only one that really likes "The Final Battle"? Everyone else I've talked to hates it or thinks it's too strange, but I've been listening to it on repeat for weeks now.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old Jan 24, 2017, 02:08 AM
student41269's Avatar
student41269 student41269 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984 View Post
Just a random thought, but am I the only one that really likes "The Final Battle"? Everyone else I've talked to hates it or thinks it's too strange
Huge detuned synth sounds like the main sequencer on The Final Battle can be a turn off for a lot of listeners, but I'm with you and think this track is awesome. I prefer the OSV version though, where said synth sounds more... vintage
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old Nov 11, 2018, 02:21 PM
TerraEpon's Avatar
TerraEpon TerraEpon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 423
Default

Would love to see a 'proper' 3CD set of this (with all extant music at the highest quality and no silly DVD extra)...even better with the at least two missing tracks (a tiny 'Shave and a Haircut' thing and a little suspence like thing) and the two orchestral tracks (which seem to be on the DVD only but were on a pack in disc as a preorder to the DS game)
But it'll never happen because we can't have nice things...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SQEX-10501: To Far Away Times: Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross Arrangement... Zanasea Album Discussions 76 Sep 4, 2019 02:40 AM
SQEX-10045: Chrono Trigger Original Soundtrack (reprint) undertow Album Discussions 0 Jan 26, 2019 10:09 AM
SQEX-10517~8: To Far Away Times: Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross Arrangement Album [LP] student41269 Album Discussions 12 Sep 9, 2016 08:51 PM
Chrono Trigger Original Soundtrack [DS Version] Secret Squirrel Album Discussions 7 Jun 23, 2015 10:53 PM
SSCX-10039: Chrono Trigger Original Soundtrack Secret Squirrel Album Discussions 4 Aug 6, 2009 08:56 AM