VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:09 PM

I would say compositional substance and production/performance/arrangement/etc. substance can be two different things. I haven't heard even a snippet of this soundtrack so I have no opinion about it, but I've read it has a very distinctive sound or tone. Those things are not inherently tied into composition as they can be brought about through means like effects such as reverb, playing piano instead of forte, using a cello instead of a baritone saxophone or something, or choosing a singer with a smooth tone of voice rather than the guy from Pantera. My understanding of TerraEpon's statement is that it's got a nice mood and very pretty dressing on what are rather mundane tunes at the level of writing because they rely heavily on one not especially creative idea.

However, I wouldn't agree with his earlier statement that vocals are part of the composition as the melody sung could have been assigned to something else instead, therefore I'd call it arrangement, so my interpretation could be wrong. I still totally understand something having no compositional substance but still being good ear candy. Often that's where guilty pleasures come from.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:31 PM

To put it a different way, it's reletively simple and lacks depth, but complexity and depth are not required for something to be enjoyable. What the music DOES have is color and a unique sound element that make up for it.

Various music is good for different reasons. A ragtime piece might have mostly simple accompaniment but wonderful melodies and delicious harmonies. A solo jazz percussion piece may have rhythmic complexity and color that makes up for the lack of any real pitch. Just a couple of examples.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 05:05 AM

I know that we've got some official credits for who did what based on Automata's OST credits, and through the process of elimination on other NieR releases, but I take it we'll never get actual composer credits for the soundtrack, will we? I'd be really interested to see the credits, so I can't help but ask. I doubt tweeting at the composers will yield a response or anything of that sort either. Would anybody have a way of getting the composer credits for this album?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustDontKnowAnymore View Post
I know that we've got some official credits for who did what based on Automata's OST credits, and through the process of elimination on other NieR releases, but I take it we'll never get actual composer credits for the soundtrack, will we? I'd be really interested to see the credits, so I can't help but ask. I doubt tweeting at the composers will yield a response or anything of that sort either. Would anybody have a way of getting the composer credits for this album?
I'd say tweeting at them is definitely worth a try. That's how we've gotten most Falcom composer credits that we have.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 03:04 PM

If I had a twitter account I'd try it then, but I don't and something tells me if I tweet at them with a new account I won't get a response. Anyone else wanna try asking them through twitter?

edit:

So I feel that there are some ways to narrow down the composers for who's done what, and we can do this through the information provided for other releases and comparing the tracks on those releases to the OST. Apart from that we can only assume for some tracks based off of some tracks from Nier Automata, like Wretched Automatons and Wretched Weaponry for example.

Based on the two pre-order bonuses for the Gestalt and Replicant versions in Japan, we know that Keiichi Okabe and Kakeru Ishihama are responsible for the tracks on those releases.

Based on the fact that Okabe is credited to Song of The Ancients (Fate) on Automata I don't think it's a stretch to think he alone composed it, and all versions of it, especially considering he remixed it in the 15 Nightmare's and Arrange Tracks album too. Likewise with the example given above, I feel we can also assume he composed Wretched Automatons.

We also know thanks to Don that Keigo Hoashi composed Shadowlord, it's white-note mix, and some battle themes. Additionally, we also know that Okabe composed Grandma.

It doesn't narrow down a lot, but the credits get a little more narrow based on this, as opposed to just crediting each track to the four composers.

I remember someone posted a composer breakdown they got when they inserted their disc into iTunes, but that couldn't have been accurate, as it'd be available elsewhere and because iTunes just pulls from public databases and has nothing special, right? I don't see any CD text on the disc either, hell, I never see CD text on any OST.

Last edited by IJustDontKnowAnymore; Jan 8, 2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:22 AM

From all those informations, can we make a sort of masterpost for every tracks?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivda View Post
From all those informations, can we make a sort of masterpost for every tracks?
You mean something like this?

Quote:
Composed by:

Disc 1
Track 1, 2, 4 - Keiichi Okabe, Kakeru Ishihama
Track 6-8 - Keiichi Okabe
Track 3, 5, 9-23 - Keiichi Okabe, Kakeru Ishihama, Keigo Hoashi, Takafumi Nishimura

Disc 2:
Track 1, 3, 8, 13 - Keiichi Okabe, Kakeru Ishihama
Track 2, 9 - Keiichi Okabe
Track 4-7, 10-12, 14, 16-19 - Keiichi Okabe, Kakeru Ishihama, Keigo Hoashi, Takafumi Nishimura
Track 15, 20 - Keigo Hoashi
I think I got every track and cross referenced each of them with other releases where the composer credits were given. In my library I've got Ashes of Dreams credited to Okabe alone, but I can't find a source so I think that's just a hunch I had. Maybe one day we can get an official composer breakdown for this album. If you want to start stretching the credits you can also squeeze 2-04 and 2-14 to Keiichi Okabe and Kakeru Ishihama, as one of the two compositions is credited to those two on the mini album releases. Likewise for 1-09 which is an arrangement of 1-02.

Last edited by IJustDontKnowAnymore; Sep 5, 2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustDontKnowAnymore View Post
You mean something like this?

I think I got every track and cross referenced each of them with other releases where the composer credits were given. In my library I've got Ashes of Dreams credited to Okabe alone, but I can't find a source so I think that's just a hunch I had. Maybe one day we can get an official composer breakdown for this album. If you want to start stretching the credits you can also squeeze 2-04 and 2-14 to Keiichi Okabe and Kakeru Ishihama, as one of the two compositions is credited to those two on the mini album releases. Likewise for 1-09 which is an arrangement of 1-02.
Thanks for that. I'm assuming those credits are both for composer AND arranger?

I hope MONACA will do individual credits for vocals soon enough as well, though Emi Evan's voice is easily reckognizable.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 08:04 PM

The credits are for composer only. You can already kinda see who was responsible for the vocals, and from the tracks themselves you listen to see which chorus it was, if it wasn't just Emi Evans in the track.