VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:59 AM

edit: see 3rd post

Last edited by Phonograph; May 31, 2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:34 AM

Re: Magical Tank Battle

「術」 is a fairly generic word for "magic/art/skill/etc" and 「戦車 」has two meanings: 1) Tanks, which first appeared in WW1 and made popular in the sequel WW2, and; 2) Chariot, a vehicle in which a person rides and driven by horses. To be more specific, it's the feudal-era China etc kind.

「術戦車」 as a whole word is a Romancing SaGa 3-specific term so a few approaches to the translation can be made.

If not tank, then you could simply be generic and call it, for example, "tactical combat vehicle" or "strategic battle car" or whatever combination of words.

The actual enemy sprite does look like a drag car so I suppose you could use that as the translation though I question the wisdom of...I don't know if there is a word but "back translations" if you know what I mean (using other sources [i.e. enemy game graphics/sprites) to insert more meaning into a word instead of translating that word by itself in its own right).

Also, "drag race" and "dragster" does exist as Japanese words: 「ドラッグレース」and「ドラッグスター」respectively. So if Square really wanted to be specific, they possibly could have katakanised it.

Re: The 4 四魔貴族 battles

To me, 「四魔貴族バトル」 doesn't necessarily imply they're being fought at the same time nor being fought separately. I think it's pretty open-ended as to how the actual battles will play out. As for the current and proposed translations, to my native English eyes, I do not see any difference between "4 魔貴族 Battle" and "Battle (with) the 4 魔貴族". I would think that this issue leans more towards the overly pedantic side of things.

Re: 玄城バトル

「玄」already has the basic meaning of black without bringing 「玄武」(the Black Tortoise) into it. In fact, one of the possible of readings 「玄」is 「くろ」, a reading shared by, of course, 「黒」 (black).

As for what to call this particular location, I guess that depends whether you think the name of this place is "Genjou" or simply "Gen", similar to Akumajou Dracula. I think calling it "Black Castle" would be going to far though. Would you still call it "Black Castle" if you did not have the benefit of hindsight (seeing the castle graphics) like the drag car vehicle, and/or if the castle didn't have black roofs? It might be a bit unwieldy, but maybe just call it "Genjou Castle" instead.
Old May 31, 2018, 02:12 AM

after replaying the game
- 術戦車 = Dragon Machine

and reading some rs3 books (the rest of places, except some dungeons, is already ok)
- 聖王廟 = Tomb of Divine King
- 妖精の村 = Fairies' Village
- 砂漠 = The Desert
- 神王の塔 = Tower of Divine King
- グウェインの巣 = Gwain's Lair
- レオニード城 = Leonid's Castle
- 玄城 = Xuan Castle