VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:50 AM

Default Submitting albums / translation for composer, etc.

I was thinking of adding the Magic Knight Rayearth soundtracks from the anime, and, maybe it's just me, but I would actually like to see VGMdb with a lot more anime soundtracks, but that's just a person preference.

I actually would like to know if there will be anyone to take some time if I scan, which I probably will.. (well, I am doing it now.. what am I even saying..), to help translate the composer info for songs I can't find info about, or whatever they find necessary, really. It'd just be more helpful to know if someone will help out, but I'll be scanning and adding them regardless.
(wow.. I forgot to hit submit.. at least this was saved in the browser)
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:54 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary09 View Post
I was thinking of adding the Magic Knight Rayearth soundtracks from the anime, and, maybe it's just me, but I would actually like to see VGMdb with a lot more anime soundtracks, but that's just a person preference.
As far as I know, there are still plans to cover anime soundtracks unrelated to games in VGMdb, but we are not ready for it. However, as Hayato Matsuo is also related to games, I think it's okay if you already want to add this albums.

Quote:
I actually would like to know if there will be anyone to take some time if I scan, which I probably will.. (well, I am doing it now.. what am I even saying..), to help translate the composer info for songs I can't find info about, or whatever they find necessary, really. It'd just be more helpful to know if someone will help out, but I'll be scanning and adding them regardless.
(wow.. I forgot to hit submit.. at least this was saved in the browser)
It would be my pleasure to help with composers and performers credits.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:18 PM

Hmm.. yeah, well as long as there isn't really a problem to add them. There are at least 900 listings in the video/animation section.

Also, is there a specific way to have the artist link up to the artist page? Maybe a staff has to do it, but the artist name does not link up to his artist page. (edit: forget it, it showed up... maybe it just takes some time after submitted)

Alssso, all thanks for any help here. I will scan and slowly add/submit album info, the only thing is.. the tracklist/album title will be somewhat accurate, but not an entire accurate representation of what is listed, so I suppose I will leave that to you, if you will or anyone who wants to edit for a close-perfect reflection.

Last edited by mercenary09; Apr 15, 2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 02:38 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Yeah, actually the artist linking is allowed only for trusted editors and staff. I've added the full credits information of Vol 1 and hope to do the same with the other albums soon.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:04 PM

makes me wanna add other anime albums with matsuo's involvement. kaitou saint tail <3... but it can wait.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:28 PM
VGMdb Administrator

We are expanding our coverage to include anime albums. There are really just two things that are holding this back:
  • We need content filters so that visitors who are interested in game music don't have to see the anime music, and vice versa
  • We need to attract anime experts who are detail-oriented and who can fulfill roles on staff and as trusted editors.
The biggest challenge for covering anime music will be maintaining a high standard of quality in the face of a flurry of anime fans who tend to be overly enthusiastic. Presently, anime albums are being added by staff and trusted editors as they see fit. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more people adding anime albums right now, but I want them to be good submissions by careful submitters. I can offer a few pointers.
  • Quality over quantity. One good entry is better than 100 incomplete entries.
  • Be careful of pulling fan tracklists from the web. Try to find good, trustable sources.
  • Verify information from trusted Japanese sources, or from the real album if you own it.
  • Watch out for fan titles too. If you can find the official Japanese title, or provide a scan, someone here can determine the correct title.
  • When dealing with OP/ED themes, etc., it's important to provide the track-specific credits in the notes.
  • Cite references in the forum threads. Don't be afraid to ask for help either.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:31 PM

Ahh, I also was wondering what this means when I was looking のみ作曲. It was listed for someone, but I just found it strange. I have a couple music-related kanji down, but I didn't understand what のみ is adding to it.

I just remembered, too..

also to butt in with an edit,
the bad thing in how I am adding tracklists it is probably a fan translation (well, it's not to english, but there could be errors. I noticed sangoku/san koku for one track), which may or may not be a huge case for most anime soundtracks (then again, same for vgm albums in japanese). It just depends who might take the time to translate them when added here who is trusted with being well versed in Japanese.
I guess the good thing is those who add and have scans to provide, someone else can verify or edit, which is also my case, but up to whoever is willing to do that work.

Last edited by mercenary09; Apr 15, 2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:22 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Oh, I can't wait for it. I'd love to have my anime music collection also added to the database. I also agree that a general filter is really needed before getting started with it.
Tough, I wouldn't be able to translate anything and could only do (so-so) transliteration which is pretty sad. Well. At least, I could provide some scans.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:59 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a few more people adding anime albums right now, but I want them to be good submissions by careful submitters. I can offer a few pointers.
If that's the case, I will look over the anime albums I own and add some.

Quote:
the bad thing in how I am adding tracklists it is probably a fan translation (well, it's not to english, but there could be errors.
The tracklists you added for these albums were simple romanizations of the original Japanese characters. It's always best to double-check the correctness of any tracklist you add - in this case you could use an online dictionary (like WWWJDIC), if you're familiar enough with the process. Otherwise it can be better to post the tracklist in the album thread and wait for someone else to verify it.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:08 AM

Interesting link, I can always try it to check.. too bad I wouldn't have the original title track to have checked, heh, but for the future, I suppose it could be useful if I add, but I may as well just post it in the forums for someone else to help. Especially with various kanji having different readings, it's best to just ask for help.

Also I appreciate having had the composer info for the rayearth soundtracks listed, so I guess I feel that adding scan requests that Myrkul bombarded me with is a small thanks, in someway.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:06 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
too bad I wouldn't have the original title track to have checked
You can almost always find the Japanese tracklist listed somewhere by searching google using the catalog number. What you find is often not 100% correct though, so it's best to double-check it using the original album or scans.

And Japanese tracklists have been added for those five albums you added.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:05 AM

just to clarify, does this mean we have the "go ahead" to add anime-related releases to the database now? there's a few that i feel confident enough to add, and i could contact two or three other knowledgeable people to help out. i've noticed quite a lot of anime releases appearing, which is great. just wanna make sure i'm not jumping the gun or anything.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 03:04 PM

Even though I'm clearly in no position to say, I'm sure it's more than okay. More anime soundtracks are always good anyway, right?! Plus, Revoc and seanne are always there to help out, it seems.

Slowly, slowly.. VGMdb will surely be a great db for anime soundtracks... someday..

Just to say, I've added a few (very few, like 11, maybe) and they were more than welcomed, I'd say. I'm pretty sure there's no high priority on them being added, but they are a plus since vgm and anime soundtracks have a close relation.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:14 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Over the weekend I'll be making some minor changes to the site and forum structure in preparation for anime albums -- our tagline and mission statement, for example. Other than that our site name and address will stay unchanged.
Old May 1, 2010, 04:18 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
just to clarify, does this mean we have the "go ahead" to add anime-related releases to the database now? there's a few that i feel confident enough to add, and i could contact two or three other knowledgeable people to help out. i've noticed quite a lot of anime releases appearing, which is great. just wanna make sure i'm not jumping the gun or anything.
You've got the go-ahead if you're a good submitter. Just read the guidelines in my post above. We'll need to grow carefully until we attract some more anime music experts.
Old May 2, 2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
  • We need content filters so that visitors who are interested in game music don't have to see the anime music, and vice versa
Just an issue to note is the treatment of VN soundtracks like Clannad's which currently belong in the Game category (which it should) and if people interested only in anime music are filtering out Game OSTs, Clannad will not fall on their searches and whatnot. It's something to think about at least because there'll be headaches in implementing it =P

Quote:
  • When dealing with OP/ED themes, etc., it's important to provide the track-specific credits in the notes.
  • Cite references in the forum threads. Don't be afraid to ask for help either.
At this point, I don't know any Japanese, so I'll just do the best I can there. Right now, I'll only be putting up albums that I have scans of, so that should make the work for those editing my stuff somewhat easier.

(And if I'm screwing up someplace fundamentally, just let me know)

Last edited by zzeroparticle; May 2, 2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old May 2, 2010, 11:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

It will be interesting to see what kind of things the Anime Music community will want. One thing I suspect is that they'll be less inclined to filter out game music than the VGM fans are to filter out anime music. I think they might already be used to seeing game music mixed in with anime.
Old May 2, 2010, 12:04 PM

Well, the only reason I raised the issue was because of this tweet. As for me, I'm a fan of both and so, it's not really much of a concern for me.

Also, if this fosters the actual creation of an anime music community, all the better. To my knowledge, such an entity doesn't really exist. I've been saying that the VGM community is years ahead of the anime music community in terms of organization for some time now and I'm hoping that the database will allow the latter to play catchup.
Old May 2, 2010, 01:25 PM

There definitely doesn't seem to be a comprehensive database for it.. at least not that I've seen. Hopefully people pick up and help out here, though it will take a while for it to be really there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle View Post
Just an issue to note is the treatment of VN soundtracks like Clannad's which currently belong in the Game category (which it should) and if people interested only in anime music are filtering out Game OSTs, Clannad will not fall on their searches and whatnot. It's something to think about at least because there'll be headaches in implementing it =P
For some reason, it seems if people wanted to just see anime music, it doesn't seem like it would matter if they didn't see the VN soundtracks, but maybe some people would. I think they will still show up anyway as long as you don't filter out Game. Ah, I guess it doesn't.

Quote:

* We need content filters so that visitors who are interested in game music don't have to see the anime music, and vice versa
It seems kind of funny about filtering content. Isn't there already a way to filter it? Advanced Search and just either check Game or Video/Animation (green or red, depending on what people want).

http://vgmdb.net/search ?

Edit: I think what you meant was for the main page. Under 'What's New' and 'Just Added', and maybe more (and I'm not sure if there's a way to filter that...)
Old May 2, 2010, 03:12 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Edit: I think what you meant was for the main page. Under 'What's New' and 'Just Added', and maybe more (and I'm not sure if there's a way to filter that...)
We actually did implement a filter for those just last week. You can read more in this thread (which I'll move to announcements soon):

http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4441
Old Oct 28, 2019, 01:54 AM

I need the function "Edit Summary" such as Wikipedia.
Because I always feel the need to reveal the reason why I edited like this.

I'm always in trouble with submitting albums from Korea because of the language.
Its pronunciation is too complicated in Romanization.
Korean in Latin script makes hard to write and complex to read.
Also, the Korean language has two writing systems (Hangul, Hanja) except for braille and Latin script.

Therefore, I have to persuade administrators, trusted editors and staffs every submission on account of texts like titles and names of artists.

In addition, I removed all hyphens in the Korean texts that I romanized by myself today.
Because hyphens are prescribed to be used for limited use in "Revised Romanization of Korean".

https://vgmdb.net/album/91862
https://vgmdb.net/album/92095
https://vgmdb.net/album/92113

Last edited by Tunable; Oct 28, 2019 at 10:01 PM.