VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:30 PM

How do you add aliases? I saw no box for it in the edit field.

If someone could let me know how and/or add the following two (used in Quake II N64 and Quake III Arena Dreamcast respectively):

Ken "Razor" Richmond
Razor

Source: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthre...41#post1128441
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:25 PM
VGMdb Staff

Normal users can't add aliases. Someone else added the alias for that album but I don't think it's right. Even though he used that alias in the game credits, he released it on Bandcamp as Aubrey Hodges (on the cover and in the metadata too(?)).
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:07 PM
VGMdb Staff

^ Quite obvious I did it if you open up manage artists screen.
I've read that forum thread KriztofferSwank gave link to and I see Mr. Hodges is very active there so it's maybe a plausible option to ask him directly how he would like to be credited concerning this. Also I can say I've thought Razor is different person until today, so this is an interesting find, even for people who are not great fans of id software games (like myself).
Anyway, a nice trend from certain composers, publishing these soundtracks (thinking about older Tomb Raider games too) 10-15 years after the game release - could be something to do with law; when you create stuff as a company employee, you can't publish it on your own for a certain amount of years, however after that time has passed, you can (if there wasn't some special clause or such).

btw just to say the aliases are created during the artist linking, that's why regular users can't add them. But some use variation field instead even if they really shouldn't: variation is still very, very close to the display name while alias is something completely different, example if there was an artist with display name Jack Jackson (yeah, really creative lol), if there's some album which has Jack J. Jackson that would be variation, but if it's credited like Darth Vader that would be an alias.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:25 PM

I was just thinking it would be an interesting bit of trivia to add that Razor is an alias; other sites like MobyGames list Razor separate from Hodges, likely not knowing they're the same. I didn't know all these years; I just assumed Razor aped Hodges' style very well. :p At the time I didn't know about legal issues that may prevent an artist from using their real name.

But yes, he's using his real name to release all this material; there are no soundtrack releases credited to Razor that I'm aware of, just the name used in the games' credits (in-game, manual).

Knowing now how alias crediting works, I suppose it's best to revert Quake II to his real name and present Ken "Razor" Richmond in a different info box on his profile page. I'll leave that to others to decide since I'm still new to VGMdb (beyond browsing).

Last edited by KriztofferSwank; Feb 18, 2013 at 03:31 PM.