VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 24, 2014, 05:12 PM

Default Top 50 Soundtracks or Songs

I've managed to take in a huge amount of video game music and have decided recently to archive it into some kind of list.

What would be your top 50 songs, or soundtracks (whichever is easiest to choose) from any games and systems? I would like to hear from you guys so I can get into some new material and share with other people music that is classic or underrated. I have my own list set up but I can't give it away yet.

For the meantime, I've started my own top 100 video game soundtracks list here:

http://vgm-archivist.tumblr.com/

The best format I could think of doing it in was to pick my favorite song from each game to represent the album, followed by other songs of interest and composer information. Thanks.

Last edited by Spirit_Chaser; Sep 30, 2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:28 AM

top 50 soundtracks/songs would take a lot of thought, and my list would never approach being definitive because I have had limited exposure to vgm. That said, your tumblr is rather excellent!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:28 PM

Thank you! I've put a lot of effort into it. I'm around the 60s now.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:55 PM

My problem with doing this list is it changes by the week and also volumized albums (Ys IV Perfect Collection Vol. 1-3 and the like) tend to skew the numbers.

There are a few constants though:

Favorite OST's: Final Fantasy VI OSV, Rockman 1-6 Boxset, Guilty Gear Original Sound Version, Chrono Trigger OSV, Super Mario RPG OSV, Monster World Complete Soundtrack (primarily for Wonder Boy 3 The Dragon's Trap), Seiken 3 OSV, Grandia I Original Soundtrack, Marvel vs Capcom OST.

Favorite Arranges: Game Music Graffiti, Phantasy Star Sound Collection 1, Dracula Battle Perfect Selection 1, Konami Shooting Battle Perfect Selection 1, Dragon Quest IV Symphony Suite (NHK), Tokimeki Memorial Sound Collection 2, Ys IV Perfect Collection Trilogy, JDK Band 1, Ys Perfect Collection, Ys III Turbo Duo soundtrack/arrange.

These are my anchors, so to speak. After those, kind of depends what I am in the mood for. Also, I am really stingy with adding newer soundtracks to my list, as you can tell most of these are quite old.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:07 PM

My issue is that after more than five years of game music dominated my listening, there are still way too many major soundtracks and entire series I still have not heard. I'm almost entirely ignorant to Ys, Sonic, and Mega Man and have barely heard anything by big names like Motoi Sakuraba and Noriyuki Iwadare, just to reveal the tip of the iceberg. There's also too much stuff that's too different and too good to really rate comparatively. Sorry, but I don't feel qualified to participate and, on top of that, it would be exhausting to attempt.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
My issue is that after more than five years of game music dominated my listening, there are still way too many major soundtracks and entire series I still have not heard. I'm almost entirely ignorant to Ys, Sonic, and Mega Man and have barely heard anything by big names like Motoi Sakuraba and Noriyuki Iwadare, just to reveal the tip of the iceberg. There's also too much stuff that's too different and too good to really rate comparatively. Sorry, but I don't feel qualified to participate and, on top of that, it would be exhausting to attempt.
Heh, I would gladly trade places with you. The "discovery phase" is too much fun.

IMO, with Iwadare, you can't go wrong with the original Grandia. I don't think he's come anywhere close to topping it, even on the follow-up Grandia soundtracks (although his battle themes are always a highlight). My personal Sakuraba peak is with Star Ocean 2 and Valkyrie Profile (both the OST's and arranges), but they also sound strikingly different than a lot of his more recent stuff (he uses a lot more live instruments in the past ten years). I recommend starting with those, although Star Ocean 2 is far more traditional RPG fare than VP, which is mostly highlighted by upbeat dungeon and battle themes.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:17 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
IMO, with Iwadare, you can't go wrong with the original Grandia. I don't think he's come anywhere close to topping it, even on the follow-up Grandia soundtracks (although his battle themes are always a highlight).
amagami is pretty good.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 08:34 AM

http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12530
Old Feb 8, 2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1 View Post
Damn it, I forgot about King of Fighters 98.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 03:29 PM

I made a post about this in 2012, in my blog:

http://quarkcognition.blogspot.com/2...ic-albums.html
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:24 PM

Thank you for sharing with us your lists. I'll take a look at them and listen to the soundtracks after I've finished doing this project (I'm at 32 now).
Old Feb 22, 2014, 06:01 PM

I checked through the soundtracks mentioned in the links above and listened to some of the soundtracks I didn't know about. I'll be checking them all out eventually. I managed to get all the way to #1 on the blog so I'll share here my top 50 soundtracks. I did manage to pick a favorite song for each one, and those can be heard in the blog for those who are unfamiliar with any of these game soundtracks:

50. Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2)
49. Super Formation Soccer 2
48. Earthworm Jim
47. Metal Max 2
46. Donkey Kong Country
45. Soul & Sword
44. Star Fox
43. Snowboard Kids 2
42. Lufia and the Fortress of Doom
41. Axelay
40. Super Castlevania IV
39. Illusion of Gaia
38. Skullmonkeys
37. Maka Maka
36. Star Fox 2
35. Kirby's Dream Land 3
34. Parodius Da!
33. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
32. Mother 3
31. Mega Man X
30. Captain Tsubasa III
29. Atelier Judy: Alchemist of Gramnad
28. Super Formation Soccer
27. Mega Man X3
26. Mr. Nutz
25. Chrono Trigger
24. Brandish 2 (Super Famicom)
23. Live a Live
22. Super R-Type
21. Gokujō Parodius!
20. Plok
19. Tenshi no Uta: Prayer of a White Wing
18. Mega Man 7
17. Secret of Evermore
16. Mystic Quest
15. Super Mario RPG
14. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinitrals
13. Bio Metal (Super Famicom)
12. Mega Man X2
11. Donkey Kong Country 2
10. Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (Super Famicom)
9. Gradius III (Super Famicom)
8. Battle Zeque-Den
7. Chrono Cross
6. Final Fantasy VI
5. Earthbound (Mother 2)
4. Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2)
3. Breath of Fire II
2. Rudra no Hihou
1. Terranigma

Last edited by Spirit_Chaser; Feb 22, 2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 06:15 PM

with this nick, rudra is just 2nd?
fan of surlent?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 08:45 PM

I can respect that list. SNES music FTW!

Whoa Breath of Fire II over FFVI? That's...pretty hardcore!