VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:07 PM

Default VG music reviewer

Hey everyone,

I have a show on youtube that's all about reviewing video game soundtracks. I'm just getting my start, but I wanted to know what you all think of the idea of reviewing video game music specifically.

There's a ton of video game reviewers out there and I'm trying to make my place among them.

Here's a sample of my show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcTGr8eWOEg
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:34 PM

Atomsk777,

I enjoyed your review videos from what I've seen so far (Katamari Damacy, Banjo-Kazooie, Top 7 fighting game Soundtracks, and the Majora Mask remix short vid). The content is entertaining and very pleasant to sit through and watch. I even learned additional information about a soundtrack or two (Katamari Damacy's Soundtrack-reception in the states and japan). Kudos to you for that--especially for mentioning Virtual On on the Fighting Soundtrack vid.

The score system is very nifty in your reviews, but I was confused on its actual use during the videos. I got a "Who's Line Is It Anyways" vibe, that the points don't matter, as they are given and taken by your standards of a good/catchy/weird soundtrack. I think I'm confused more on the taking away part, as the reasons you dock points are 'weird' in themselves (An example: a track remixed 3 times gets docked -300 points, later you comment the various remixes/arrangements of "Katamari on the Rocks" being "...pretty cool."[5:43]). Other than that, I found the score system very clever.

I think what I enjoy most about your reviews is your personal connection to the Soundtrack. This invisible thread that connects a person to the music they enjoy is what I search for during their reviews, and I sensed that nostalgic connection with you in your reviews. I think you said it best in your Top 7 Fighting Soundtrack:

“Okay, I have to admit, I’m being a smidge bias here, but that’s ‘cause I had some really good memories tied to this game—bit of um’nostalgia…” (9:21-9:28)

This is exactly what I search for, because every reviewer has some sort of bias that governs their scores/opinions on a game's Soundtrack. I like to see the likes and dislikes of a person as soon as possible, so as to take their tastes into account when watching/reading their reviews. This helps me enjoy a person's review--such as yours-while learning new things that may have passed under my radar (such as the Katamari Damacy reception bit).

Keep up the good work and be sure to inject you and your personal connection with a game's soundtrack. I'm sure this will help you stick out, as I'm sure that there are going to be times when you and your audience may have shared the same connection/nostalgia that you have to a game's Soundtrack.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:22 AM

WOW! thank you so much for the lengthy response.

You got the right idea about the points not mattering much. It basically gives an extra bump to my opinion so the viewer can gauge how i feel while keeping it very "video game" feeling.

I want to make these kind of videos for a living, so I'm really glad that I people enjoy my work .

Tags
review, rezonance, soundtracks