VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 8, 2011, 06:28 PM

OK, now this is where the confusion with these albums really sets in.

From midiplex (http://www.midiplex.com/works.html):

ファイナルファイト -G.S.M.CAPCOM 3- (ポニーキャニオン)
  ※「ファイナルファイト」「ハテナはてなの大冒険」オリジナル音源を収録

Final Fight is included, which would explain why Shimomura has been tied to the game in some places. Unfortunately, the extent of her participation is unknown thanks to the other game being included in the set, and as a result the credits make it look like she was fully responsible for the original composition of both games, since nothing like "2曲" is included in the statement. The ※ seems to indicate roles where her involvement was small (points to Breath of Fire and Street Fighter Tribute Album).

Also, I believe H. Takaoka equates to Hifumi Takaoka. It can't be Harumi Takaoka because she was known as Debara Tarumi or Harumi Ihara at the time, and with M. Gotoh and J. Tamiya among the credits it's less likely that an alias snuck by. Hifumi and Harumi are also credited separately on the Sweet Home soundtrack CD. (http://vgmdb.net/album/615)

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Apr 9, 2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 08:12 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
From midiplex (http://www.midiplex.com/works.html):

ファイナルファイト -G.S.M.CAPCOM 3- (ポニーキャニオン)
  ※「ファイナルファイト」「ハテナはてなの大冒険」オリジナル音源を収録

Final Fight is included, which would explain why Shimomura has been tied to the game in some places. Unfortunately, the extent of her participation is unknown thanks to the other game being included in the set, and as a result the credits make it look like she was fully responsible for the original composition of both games, since nothing like "2曲" is included in the statement. The ※ seems to indicate roles where her involvement was small (points to Breath of Fire and Street Fighter Tribute Album).
Shimomura does include Final Fight earlier on that page when she lists specific games she worked on. That's why she lists it and Hatena? no Daibouken for that album, because those are the two of the four games on that album she was a part of. Sorry if you knew that already, but your post came across like you were doubting she was involved with Final Fight.

And yeah, she says that the ※ means was only partially involved (but that not including the ※ doesn't mean she was the sole composer; cf. Street Fighter II).
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:18 PM
VGMdb Staff

Guys the first four tracks does not match exatcly the booklet?
I think they have to be retranslated.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 06:21 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
Guys the first four tracks does not match exatcly the booklet?
I think they have to be retranslated.
Ok, I added the missing parts.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 02:31 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The liner notes here aren't too helpful so I'll dump the info and fix the album later:

"COMPOSED and ARRANGED by Alfh Lyra wa Lyra"

Final Fight
- general liner notes by Capcom Sound Team.
- Staff roll lists MUSIC SOUND: Youki chan's papa (Sakaguchi confirmed in an interview he composed for FF)
- Shimomura's site list it. She doesn't seem to be in the credits > secret collaboration? (probably few tracks)

Senjo no Okami 2
- Liner notes by Chanchacorin, confirms composition. Some tracks are arranged from the first game?
- Staff roll SOUND: M.GOTOH

- Liner notes by Hifumi, confirms he was in charge.
- Staff roll SOUND COMPOSER: HIFUMI

Capcom World / Hatena? no Daibouken
- Collective liner notes by Capcom Sound Team.
> 4 persons (?) did Hatena
>> No "sound" credit in the staff roll. If this is true, then "music"="music + sound"? (6 are listed in the staff roll; SE, programming by two of them?)
> Mr. H (Hifumi?) was in charge of Quiz 1 [Capcom World] ('in charge' doesn't specify if he was the only one or even 'in charge' of music, but probably so)
- Capcom World staff: ?
- Hatena staff: MUSIC: Y・SAKAGUCHI, M・GOTOH, J・TAMIYA, O・MORITA, Y・SHIMOMURA, H・TAKAOKA
> G. Morita or O. Morita?

While H. Takaoka is likely to be Hifumi, the H could be anything (ie.- Hirofumi). After all, Tamayo Kawamoto used "Tamatama" and "Tamayan", which are close enough to Tamayo but not quite.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 01:30 AM

Default milpo

So Manami Matsumae composed the music to Mercs for the arcade. Yoshiaki Kashima (Milpo) arranged her music for the Genesis version of Mercs. But who composed the music in Genesis version that isn't in the arcade version? That is, the music for the Original Mode gameplay. Was it Yoshiaki Kashima? He's the only one listed in the credits on the Genesis version, but he's listed under Sound Arrange, which only seems to imply that he arranged the arcade music. I imagine it would have specified that he also composed the music for the Original Mode. Do you guys get what I'm asking? And does anyone know the answer? Basically, who composed the music for the Original Mode Genesis version of Mercs?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 02:30 AM
Trusted Editor

I don't see what's stopping Yoshiaki Kashima from being the composer. I mean, on a game I found out the composer for (I think Whip Rush?), the composer (Toshiko Tasaki) had three different sound roles, with three different aliases. So just him being "Sound Arrange", could also mean he did everything new.

I don't think he lists Mercs on his archived site though. Hmm
Old Jun 6, 2012, 02:39 PM

Oh, what's his website? I found this site:

http://www.savor.sakura.ne.jp/

But there isn't much on it. I think I also found his Facebook profile...
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:56 AM

That's not the page I found, but, actually, on the page you linked, he does list Mercs under his works, though it's the Japanese title: 戦場の狼II (Senjo no Okami II).

I guess he composed the non-arcade music for the Genesis version of Mercs -as well as arranged the adapted arcade music.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:26 AM
Trusted Editor

Ohhh, I didn't even think of the Japanese title... >_<.

Well it sure looks like he did now.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Final Fight
- general liner notes by Capcom Sound Team.
- Staff roll lists MUSIC SOUND: Youki chan's papa (Sakaguchi confirmed in an interview he composed for FF)
- Shimomura's site list it. She doesn't seem to be in the credits > secret collaboration? (probably few tracks)
So I was searching Yasuaki Fujita's blog to see if he ever said anything about Final Fight 2. It doesn't look like he has. But his post on Mega Man 3 came up, and there's what seems like an interesting tidbit snuck in there. I don't want to accidentally take it out of context, though, in case I'm misreading him.

Quote:
二十歳の時、大阪の友人宅に転がり込んでからバンド活動をしてプロ目指してたんだけど
家庭の事情もあってそろそろ広島へ帰ろうと思ってた頃、ゲーム会社に勤めてたメンバーからゲーム音楽を作っ てみたら?
といわれ、カプコンの試験を受けたのが始まりなんです。
確か20人くらい受けて合格は私一人だったような?(すいません自慢入りま~す)
初仕事はファイナルファイトのステージ曲を書きました。
良く覚えてないけど溶岩とかが流れてるステージだったような。
The underlined part says that his first work for Capcom was writing stage music for Final Fight, right?

THE MYSTERY DEEPENS
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:16 AM
VGMdb Staff

"The first job I wrote a song stage of Final Fight" (translation from google)

I'm very familiar with the Final Fight soundtrack, and two themes seem done by other hands compared to the others:
BGM 6 (the Bay Area) and the ending theme.
The ending remember me the Shimomura style similar to her Street Fighter composition.
Pure speculation for now....

Last edited by depa; Sep 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:41 AM
VGMdb Advisor

To elaborate, in the blog Fujita talks how 20 years ago he joined Capcom (he was selected among ~20).
His first job was Final Fight stage music. He doesn't remember well but it was a stage with flowing lava or so [stage 4 was it?], then Rockman 3.

Damn you Capcom and your secret composer collaborations!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:23 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Eeeeeeeeexcellent, thanks for confirming that.

Capcom is full of mysteries. :<
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:42 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
To elaborate, in the blog Fujita talks how 20 years ago he joined Capcom (he was selected among ~20).
His first job was Final Fight stage music. He doesn't remember well but it was a stage with flowing lava or so [stage 4 was it?], then Rockman 3.

Damn you Capcom and your secret composer collaborations!
It's the Stage 4 part 1 > BGM 9 on this album soundtrack.

now if he composed only that BGM, none of the arrangements available on other album (Capcom GSM 4 and Final Fight Guy Special CD) contain music of that stage. I should check another time the Final Fight Guy Special CD but I'm pretty sure they don't contain source of Fujita's track.
Anyway great find!!!!

Last edited by depa; Sep 17, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:50 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Arcade stage 4 is probably it, although it's molten metal in a factory, not lava (which he wasn't sure about). If that's what he composed, then it's also not in the SNES version at all, since that whole stage was removed.

I didn't add the tune to the album notes because he said his memory was hazy about it, but he only went on to describe the one stage, so it sounds like that was all he did.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:43 PM

Confirmed for Stage 4 (BGM9).
Quote:
Subject: I remember the song
Hello Jamie. The song you showed me via YouTube is definitely mine.
Soon after I joined CAPCOM, i wrote it. So it's my first career.

Sincerely,
Yasuaki Fujita

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
So I was searching Yasuaki Fujita's blog to see if he ever said anything about Final Fight 2. It doesn't look like he has.
This is a reply I got from him last year:

Quote:
I'm sorry that I can't recall the tunes for Final Fight 2 anymore
because of the lost of data.

from Yasuaki Fujita
We'd have to get him to go through all the tracks. Not sure of a good approach to even suggesting that.

Last edited by strugglepoo; Sep 21, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Arcade stage 4 is probably it, although it's molten metal in a factory, not lava (which he wasn't sure about). If that's what he composed, then it's also not in the SNES version at all, since that whole stage was removed.
If you mean the music from this stage, then it IS in the game. It's track 09 in the sound test. I'm pretty sure it's used, I just don't remember where.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post
Confirmed for Stage 4 (BGM9).
Sweet, he knows English. Thanks for asking about that (and Final Fight 2 apparently!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhack View Post
If you mean the music from this stage, then it IS in the game. It's track 09 in the sound test. I'm pretty sure it's used, I just don't remember where.
Hahahaha oh wow, you're right. I totally spaced on how the BGM is also used in the second part of Uptown (the street with the palm trees), so it is absolutely in the SNES version after all. Thanks for catching my dumb mistake~
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
The only track that was removed from the SNES version was BGM 10 (Rolento's fight theme), although it was included in Final Fight GUY's sound test (and I believe in the European version of the original too).
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
VGMdb Staff

looking into the wikia database, they credit also BGM 10 (FF Rolento Theme) to Fujita....
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:30 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The stated reasoning for giving BGM 10 to Fujita too is that "the boss theme for that round, additionally, acts as a sister track," so I'm not really sure what the exact argument is.

Is it that Fujita composed the stage theme, so he must have composed the boss theme too? That clearly doesn't have to be true.

Or is it that BGM 10 is similar to BGM 9, so he must have composed both? Aside from the prominent snare hits on beats 2 & 4, I don't really think they're musically that similar, but I'll defer to our theoreticians.

Suffice it to say that I'd like to see some actual confirmation from Fujita that he wrote BGM 10 too, especially since he didn't say anything on the blog about writing boss music. Although you could arguably say BGM 10 is stage music, since it plays the whole time you're going up the elevator before fighting Rolento.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:13 PM

This is really interesting information i am finding out here. I had no idea this whole time he did music in this game. I had no idea the lead for Final Fight 2's music had a part in the first game, in the arcade version none the less. But i listen to its music and can definitely see how it may have been the same man.

As for Yoko's work, i am definitely going to make a guess that BGM 8 is from Yoko. It sounds the most like Street Fighter II. It has that crazy bass found in her work from that game as well as Live a Live. In fact, it also sounds like it could easily be a song from Live A Live. It features a few distinctive traits of her work, so i am definitely placing my bets on that one being hers.

BGM 7 is one i question as well. It sounds similar to BGM 8, but i am not quite sure on this one. It has a SF2 style bassline and some similarities to the SF2 select screen, but this one wouldn't surprise me either way.

Also, one last thing. I could have sworn that Yoshihiro once said that he did all the music on this game? Or did i mix that up with something else?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 01:43 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarukameiKasumo View Post
Also, one last thing. I could have sworn that Yoshihiro once said that he did all the music on this game? Or did i mix that up with something else?
as great it is to hear direct info from the composer regarding their work, always remember that they can be mistaken and forget about one minor song not being theirs, etc.

and I agree with you about BGM 7/8. both sound like they came right out of Nemo/Street Fighter II. i'd go with with BGM 7 over 8 if she really only did one song.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:11 PM

Ah. Yeah, that's true.

Yeah, i myself feel the opposite, thinking she more likely did BGM 8, but if she did two, these are the two i'd say she did. But only she could tell us that. Does anyone know how to in any way get in contact with her? Also, if anyone ever does, i really want to know if she had anything to do with swamp forest from Cadinos(my short name for the game LOL). The more i listen to yoko's work, the more that song starts to sound like a Shimomura song, though i hear some abe in it. LOL Also considering her music basically has that natural RPG-ish tint to it, like she was born to make RPG music, and that song itself always struck me as somewhat RPG sounding. LOl
Old Sep 22, 2013, 05:54 PM
Trusted Editor

she avoids fan questions, unfortunately. i don't think she knows much English either (unlike a lot of other Japanese composers) so even if she was open to questions, it would have to be in Japanese.

that swamp forest song sounds more like Isao Abe in the intro, then it sounds like Shimomura when the lead synth comes in. Maybe Abe arranged the song for the game? now that I think of it, the song reminds me alot of Stage 3 from The Punisher (also by Abe and Shimomura).

Last edited by dissident93; Sep 22, 2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:28 AM

Something i am wondering, did Bun Bun actually do the elevator theme too? From what i see from him it sounds as though part 1 of the stage alone is his and part 2 is someone else. I don't really get the bun bun feeling here, just that this song seems based on that one. But a couple places made it sound like he did both, but the official source states he did just the first one. No saying who made part 2. Not sure if Yoshihiro. Doesn't compare much to anything else aside from the song it's based on. The only thing aside from that it reminds me of is Mega Man 6 with the brass part. I also wonder if whoever made the part 2 to that stage also made BGM7, which has a similar quality as the elevator theme(to me) and seems potentially based on BGM 8, which i am almost positive is the one track from Yoko. But again, this is all assumption, i could be way off base.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:50 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The elevator theme is the "BGM 10" I'm talking about in post #23 in this thread. The Capcom Wikia credits that to Yasuaki Fujita on account of it being a "sister track" to arcade stage 4-1, which sounds to me like it's a total guess.

The only track Fujita talks about is 4-1, and he didn't indicate that he wrote anything else for the game. That's not to say he didn't: he could have omitted it or just forgotten. But the one theme is all he's talked about and I haven't seen any evidence suggesting he did anything else.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:59 AM

Yeah. The Capcom wikia seems to have lots of guesses on there. I see it has credits given to composers like Yuko that have no official confirmation. Though i am almost positive a lot of those given to her are correct, Yuko is quite the recluse it seems so there's no way of knowing unless she finally decides to get up here. So anything with her either needs info from 90's interviews when she was around or guesses. That page also attributes the stage end theme to isao, but i really think yuko is responsible for that, though that is simple speculation. But no matter...

It is possible that was Bun Bun too, but i somehow feel like it's not his. Just was based on his previous track. But it's hard to say who had anything to do with that one. It almost sounds to me that two individual tracks were made, one by bun bun and yoko, and then someone unknown to us right now stepped in and made sister tracks. At least to me, i don't know, these two songs have something in common, to me at least, anyway.

Last edited by HarukameiKasumo; Oct 19, 2013 at 01:02 AM.