VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 30, 2022, 02:59 PM

Default Scanning advice?

I have a handful of full OSTs and first print/sampler CDs with covers/sleeves I'd like to scan since several of them have poor scans online and as part of a personal data hoarding project. I'm looking for either scanner recommendations (I have access to one but it only scans at 360 dpi) or advice with a camera + lightbox setup. Any advice is appreciated!
Old Apr 30, 2022, 06:38 PM

I use a Canon LiDE 110, which is basically a 120 without the vertical stand. Runs on USB without power supply. Scans up to 1200 dpi but I use 600 dpi for all my scans, and then I resize before submitting to VGMdb.

I find Canon's scanning tool pretty good - the advanced/manual menu allows for tuning the scanner output in depth. I like my scans raw without any improvements, they look a bit dull but I prefer this way, as you can always finetune them later in Photoshop if you really need to.

here's 2 examples at 600 dpi without resizing, one is a disc and one is a back cover

https://postimg.cc/rKbGDH3L

https://postimg.cc/NLskSmmZ

p.s. for what it's worth, the scanner does show lines from time to time. i think it's due to living in a very dusty place. moreover, it's very humid almost all year round, so objects deteriorate much faster. i'm thinking about buying a new copy of the same scanner soon.

i'm also looking for advice on other scanners, if there are better options i can definitely buy a different one

Last edited by LuxKiller65; Apr 30, 2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:31 AM
Trusted Editor

For starters, you may want to look up the difference between CIS and CCD scanners.
CCD is typically the superior variant, which the likes of the Epson V600 fall under. It will allow you to make more accurate scans with less blur, and then you can do colour correction and other editing in any image editor software of your choice (paint.net, GIMP, Affinity Photo, or even Photoshop).
A lot will depend on your own skill with both scanning techniques and image editing, as well as an eye for important details.