VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments > Guides and FAQs
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:07 PM
VGMdb Staff

Default Easy way to make tracklists for VGMdb submissions (from your own ripped music albums)

You just need (completely free) software MP3tag which you can download from official page:

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

I've written this using version 2.48b of the program, however it should be good for later versions as well.

Application works with a number of files and not just MP3 (FLAC, M4A etc.)..... Unicode characters are supported, so no trouble with Japanese for instance.

Assuming you have correct track names and you've put an album in its own folder, start MP3tag and choose from the main menu bar "File -> Add directory" and find your folder of interest. Tracks should be now imported.

Make sure you have the tracks sorted by their CD/other media order aka by "Track" column, as shown:

Next, choose "Edit -> Select all files" from the menu bar and all tracks should become highlighted.

Then do "File -> Export" and a new small window appears: you'll see some icons in the upper right corner, choose first one (with the star, that's New export configuration file),

enter some meaningful name and a new window opens in Notepad, delete everything inside and paste this, exactly (once you create the profile you don't have to do it again):

$filename(txt,utf-8)$loop(%_path%)%track% %title% %_length%
$loopend()

so you end up with:

then hit "File -> Save" from the Notepad menu and close the Notepad window (you know, the X in the upper right corner).
Back to small Export window highlight your newly created profile and hit OK. Application will ask to show what it has just exported,

accept it and a new Notepad window should open with the tracklist you can easily copy & paste for your VGMdb submission.

Last edited by Efendija; Mar 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:30 PM

[nevermind]

Last edited by Phonograph; Feb 6, 2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:21 PM
VGMdb Advisor

It's even easier with foobar2000 + text tools component.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:57 PM
VGMdb Staff

I kind of thought somebody will jump in with the easier ways, that's good, although I didn't name this the easiest way, yeah? This way isn't hard, your ways are great too, we need some diversity, don't we?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:12 PM
Trusted Editor

I would stress people to NOT add track times from any source other than the original cd itself and rounding up for a frame >=.500 and rounding down for anything <.500. Digital files rely on a NUMBER of things for track times including lead-in, lead-out, gapless, silence and even ripping it correctly. Adding track times from your digital files CAN and WILL break currently queryable CDs using the freedb +/- 3 second grace limit. I can't tell you how many of the CDs I own I've had to correct to query properly because they've been so completely wrong from the actual cd source.

Do not add track times unless you own the cd.
Do not mass update a track list if one already exists (you'll accidentally update other titles if you're not careful)
Do not made update track times if ones already exist and there are values in the freedb query side panel (denotes current successful queries)

Last edited by dancey; Mar 24, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:46 AM
VGMdb Advisor

You can use this in foobar2000 instead, which basically just leaves out the decimals: $substr(%length_ex%,0,$sub($strstr(%length_ex%,.), 1))
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:22 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
You can use this in foobar2000 instead, which basically just leaves out the decimals: $substr(%length_ex%,0,$sub($strstr(%length_ex%,.), 1))
Still not acceptable for bad rips, rips with lead-in/lead-out silence/pre-gap added or removed.

Just don't touch track times unless you own the cd, imo.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:33 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for the tutorial, Efendija's. I never knew you could get a flat list in that program.

I'm not going to fuss too much about track time sources because that ship has already sailed, but I would definitely like to echo Dancey's suggestion that you check the FreeDB reads section before editing any existing track times. If there is a discrepancy, then we need to know about it, and it might reveal the existence of a different printing of the album.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:58 PM

I maybe never asked this question but what's the use of freedb?
I saw that name in a tagging program, but never used that feature so I don't know
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:04 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
I maybe never asked this question but what's the use of freedb?
I saw that name in a tagging program, but never used that feature so I don't know
It's a cd querying service for EAC and other CD ripping / reading programs to pull tracklist, artist, etc.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:07 AM

In regards to how freedb works: you could go and provide the "Disc ID" in the Edit Album page (You can usually find such value in the .cue).
For what I can remember, thanks to it you can still query the album correctly, even when tracklenghts don't really match.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Mar 26, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:02 AM
Trusted Editor

discid query by itself does not work (for vgmdb customization). It has to have track lengths to match. I wanted to look at it after resolving the >255 char artist issue but haven't yet.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:08 PM

Uh, yes it does; unless you've changed what I originally wrote (I take it they have you working on it now). It checks a submitted discid for a match before even checking any track times.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:25 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbfish View Post
Uh, yes it does; unless you've changed what I originally wrote (I take it they have you working on it now). It checks a submitted discid for a match before even checking any track times.
I wouldn't say I'm working on it, I just reviewed the cddb python code to try and resolve the EAC crash with >255 characters coming back and I just supplied the recommended line number changes to SS to make the change.

I've tested it a few times with no track times and a valid discid (generated by a cue sheet in EAC, updated by myself in the album info section) and it's never been able to pull. I can test it when I get home again but as far as I know it's never worked.

I took me a long time to decipher python because I am by no means an expert in the language. I'll step through it when I get home and pm you after testing it with one of my discs.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:47 AM

Sorry for bumping this, but Phonograph's Foobar script doesn't work for me. I don't get any track numbers, just a question mark. I'm not sure what's going on.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:29 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhack View Post
Sorry for bumping this, but Phonograph's Foobar script doesn't work for me. I don't get any track numbers, just a question mark. I'm not sure what's going on.
%tracknumber% %title% %length%
Old Dec 27, 2013, 08:55 PM

We don't need to add a script for track numbers since they will be automatically add to the track lists on VGMdb submissions, so it would be shortened like this:

%title% %length%

That's what I would use.