VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:35 PM

Is this person, in fact, Tohru Nakabayashi,
http://vgmdb.net/artist/828
as I have read in some places?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There's a good chance it is, but that deduction was based on a misunderstanding of the credits of the Golden Axe box set so I've come to think it might not be. I posted this in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I think I (through VGMdb) am largely responsible for that, but I've decided that might not be true after all. "Dolphin" composed "Wilderness" from Golden Axe, and Tohru Nakabayashi was part of Golden Axe's sound team. They could definitely be the same person, but I don't think it's impossible that multiple people worked on the game.

I think there's a decent possibility that "Dolphin" could be Yasuhiro Takagi too.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:22 PM
Trusted Editor

"Dolphin's real name is "Takada". I remember. But, I don't know Mr.Takada. Because I don't meet him yet." - Masaru Setsumaru.

Maybe he got the name wrong and it IS Yasuhiro Takagi, but I can't say for sure. But it is 100% not Nakabayashi, for sure. There are a few Takada's on this site, but which one of them could it be?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:15 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Can't say I'm familiar with any Sega sound guys named Takada off the top of my head. I checked out the Takadas currently in the database and none of them seem particularly compelling as a Sega arcade composer active during the '80s, but who knows. Yasuhiro Kawakami shows people can have gotten their start in VGM earlier than anyone thought.

Then again, maybe he's another case like Lotty and was never credited under his real name!

The identity of "Dolphin" has been pretty much been my #1 VGM question since last year, and even though this isn't a complete identification, the ruling out of Nakabayashi is a big development indeed. Sucks that I jumped to that conclusion too hastily, so sorry to everyone who got the wrong info after that association escaped VGMdb and got into the wild. And big thanks to you (dissident93) and Masaru Setsumaru for clearing up some of the mystery!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:44 AM
Trusted Editor

woohoo! glad to do my part in helping the VGM community. ;D
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:52 AM
VGMdb Staff

Does anyone have seen this page?

On the last lines it gaves ゴールデンアックス Y.T(Dolphin)
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:50 AM
Trusted Editor

Huh! Well to me it looks like this Y. Takada is this Dolphin fellow.

Could it be Yuuji Takada or Yukinori Takada? hmmm

Last edited by dissident93; Apr 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:26 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
Does anyone have seen this page?

On the last lines it gaves ゴールデンアックス Y.T(Dolphin)
The G.S.M. Sega 3 booklet doesn't actually list anyone for Golden Axe. That credit is taken from the G.S.M. Sega 4 liner notes, where the Golden Axe arrangement is commented on by "Y.T. / DOLPHIN": https://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?p=36660. I'm still not sure if that credit means "Y.T. and DOLPHIN" or "Y.T., alias DOLPHIN," as there aren't any others like it to compare it to.

In either case, I've always been under the impression that the "Y.T." there was Yasuhiro Takagi, as he was verifiably credited under those initials on the Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution soundtrack. I guess it's possible there was a Y. Takada at Sega too, as initials are hardly distinct.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:50 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Those liner notes seem written by a single person, so I'd say "alias".
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:15 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I double checked those old Sega albums about Y.T. and Yasuhiro Takagi. Y.T. shows up on Flash Point (game has no credits) and G.S.M. Sega 4 as Y.T. / DOLPHIN. Takagi is mentioned in conjunction with Turbo Outrun, a confirmed work, on two albums, G.S.M. Sega 3 as ケロタン・YAS and G.S.M. Sega 5 as テニ子テニ夫・T (referenced in the GP Rider notes).

I don't believe the two Y.T. games otherwise have any connection to Takagi, so there's no overlap between Y.T. and Yasuhiro Takagi. Quite possible it's just a coincidence that Takagi was credited as "yt" later and the Y.T. / Dolphin of the Sega arcade team was a different person.
Old May 26, 2012, 04:14 AM
Trusted Editor

Ok.... This is weird. My friend on Facebook got a msg from Takayuki Nakamura saying ""I composed Columns II music. for Acade Game" If true, then this would mean he is Dolphin, right? I should be getting a msg back shortly on if he is or not. But why would everything point to a "Y.T./Y. Takada" then?
Old May 26, 2012, 01:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Nakamura doesn't include Bloxeed, Golden Axe, or Gain Ground on his works list, so I also don't think he's Dolphin, BUT Columns 2 is absolutely there in the list. Curious.

Bo mentions Dolphin in his liner notes on the Columns I & II album, but I'm not sure in what way. Maybe Dolphin wasn't actually the composer? It also could be collaborative, but Nakamura notes on a few other games when he only composed some of the music and he doesn't for Columns II. (I don't know how thorough he was about doing that.)
Old May 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
VGMdb Advisor

In the notes here Bo says "Columns I" (nothing about II) was Dolphin's work, if that helps.
Old May 26, 2012, 02:12 PM
Trusted Editor

So looking into it more, seems like Nakamura also worked with Dolphin on E-SWAT, meaning they are two different people. But what remains is his contributions to Columns 2. It's possible for Nakamura to have collabed with Dolphin again here, and just gone uncredited. hmmm

Dag: Bo says Dolphin also did Columns 1? Are you sure that's not a typo on your part?
Old May 26, 2012, 02:22 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
In the notes here Bo says "Columns I" (nothing about II) was Dolphin's work, if that helps.
I own that album. The current scans are kind of shitty so it looks like a I, but it's absolutely a II if you're referring to the paragraph that starts with "コラムスⅡはドルフィン君作です。"
Old May 26, 2012, 02:25 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Certainly I was. It sure looked like a I in the scans.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Here's a larger scan of that paragraph, for documentation.

Spoiler:
Old May 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
Trusted Editor

Well, Nakamura said he wasn't Dolphin, so that at least puts it to total rest. Said he worked with him on E-SWAT and then immediately left the company.

Last edited by dissident93; May 28, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 06:26 PM

Yosuke Okunari mentioned Takada today on Twitter. Is it possible Y. Takada is Yoko Takada, or have we established Takada is a man?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 06:48 PM
Trusted Editor

It's possible, but I'm fairly sure the people that have been contacted have referred to him as a man. perhaps Yosuke Okunari knows?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:08 AM

Okunari responded that his name is 高田陽 (and confirms that he's male).

The reading is most likely "You Takada."
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:58 PM

I remember asking Tokuhiko about this a long time ago. He said he thinks their name might have been Yuzo Takada.

I sent the name to Takayuki Nakamura, but he still says all he remembers is Takada.

Last edited by Doommaster1994; Jun 16, 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 05:22 PM

In 2016, Yosuke Okunari said that Takada You (高田陽) might not have existed at all (if I understood his tweet correctly):

https://twitter.com/okunari/status/696241466364985344