VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:48 AM
VGMdb Staff

Default Product Credits

A common request we've received over the last decade is to add support for games without soundtracks. Wouldn't it be great to see all the games a composer has worked on, and not just the ones with album releases?
Today we've added a new system to link artists to products. You'll now be able to find a "Product" tab on artist pages listing everything they've worked on. Along with these changes, you'll now see products featured here on the main page. Going forward, we hope that VGMdb will be a one-stop source for finding out which games (and other products) an artist has worked on. We hope to expand on these features even further in the coming weeks.

For the full list of today's updates and examples of the new features, see here. As always, please use this thread if you have any feedback about this update!

The VGMdb Team

Last edited by cal; Jul 16, 2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 02:56 PM

Only open for staff, not yet open for trusted editors it seems? Anyway looking forward to getting access to it and adding plenty credits.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 03:20 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Only open for staff, not yet open for trusted editors it seems? Anyway looking forward to getting access to it and adding plenty credits.
Staff members are currently testing the new system to work out any issues. We'll also need to write up detailed guidelines before opening it up to editors.

In the mean time, if you'd like to contribute, you're free to start adding notes and credit images to releases. It would certainly be helpful!
Old Jul 17, 2020, 08:00 AM

Hello! That's an awesome new feature! I'd love to add plenty of products with credits as well! But I'm just a "normal user" on VGMdb, not an editor or staff.

Will the product adding procedure be open to the general public, after the staff members have been testing it? If yes, awesome! If no, is there a way for the "normal users" to tell VGMdb higher-ranked members to add products with credits?

I think, the general idea in the long run will be to open it up to the general public after the testing phase to add products & credits

Cheers,
Genki
Old Jul 17, 2020, 11:37 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genki View Post
Hello! That's an awesome new feature! I'd love to add plenty of products with credits as well! But I'm just a "normal user" on VGMdb, not an editor or staff.

Will the product adding procedure be open to the general public, after the staff members have been testing it? If yes, awesome! If no, is there a way for the "normal users" to tell VGMdb higher-ranked members to add products with credits?

I think, the general idea in the long run will be to open it up to the general public after the testing phase to add products & credits

Cheers,
Genki
Yes, however we need implement new moderation features before we'll be able to open it to all users.

It will likely work the same way as albums. Anyone will be able to submit the information but only editors and staff members will be able to link things.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 01:10 AM

Yep ok, sounds good!
Old Jul 18, 2020, 10:10 AM

Uploading credit image returned error message "Error: ID mismatch!". I guess the function is not yet open to editors?
Old Jul 18, 2020, 02:05 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppel9014 View Post
Uploading credit image returned error message "Error: ID mismatch!". I guess the function is not yet open to editors?
There was an issue with them, should work now.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 07:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Glad to see progress on this! I shall test it out when I have a chance. =}
Old Jul 19, 2020, 07:04 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

This is an awesome feature! Thanks for the hard work implementing it.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
Wouldn't it be great to see all the games a composer has worked on, and not just the ones with album releases?
And wouldn't it be great to know about game releases with Redbook Audio?

I don't mind this new addition at all, but I am a bit baffled that this makes it here, but Redbook Audio entries don't???

I wonder if there's at least some room on the product page to add certain infos about products containing music/audio content on the CD-Rom?
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:20 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPI View Post

I don't mind this new addition at all, but I am a bit baffled that this makes it here, but Redbook Audio entries don't???

I wonder if there's at least some room on the product page to add certain infos about products containing music/audio content on the CD-Rom?
I would definitely love to see a little "R" icon or something next to products that use Redbook Audio. They are basically OSTs, so it would be fun to buy some of those games just for the music. I already buy limited edition/first-press editions of games just to get the included soundtrack discs, so as a collector and lover of VGM, this feature would be very welcome and useful.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 01:05 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPI View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday
We hope to expand on these features even further in the coming weeks.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
They are basically OSTs, so it would be fun to buy some of those games just for the music.
Yeah, that was the general idea behind it. Sadly, it's sometimes quite hard to figure out which game discs might contain Redbook Audio, and even if so in what amount. Redbook Audio content usually isn't exactly advertised.

But indeed I buyed a few game discs simply for putting it into the CD player.

@nextday: Well, if I missed something there and the plan is indeed to expand on this a bit, I'm sure happy to hear it!
Old Oct 17, 2023, 12:40 AM

Thanks for your work. I'll try to do everything right.