VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 11, 2020, 04:13 PM

Do I need to put a note in the "discussion" area when I do this? I've had 2 of my submissions rejected.

"Reason: same tracklist and length duration as parent"

EDIT: What I mean is, how can I make sure a moderator understands why the edit was done. Mention CDDB compatibility somewhere?

Last edited by westrock2000; Oct 11, 2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 08:04 PM

Could anyone make some kind of tutorial on how to use this for a tagging tool ?

Which applications do i need, does it work with any tagging program?
Is this allowing us to fetch tracklists, and other infos and directly tag albums, like mp3 albums ?

Thanks to help me.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 07:07 AM

Hi there, I didn't know if there's a way to link cddb IDs to vgmdb album IDs.

I'm writing a script to try and organize my music, and for cases where I don't have a lot of metadata, I'm generating everything I need to perform a CDDB lookup. For example:
http://vgmdb.net/cddb?cmd=cddb+query...=jprjr&proto=6

That returns an entry for the Sonic R Soundtrack, and of course I can grab the CDDB tracklist at http://vgmdb.net/cddb?cmd=cddb+read+...=jprjr&proto=6

I'd love for my script to be able to figure out the VGMdb album ID once I have a successful lookup.

I noticed the "genre" was returned as Soundtrack1967, and most results seem to have a unique "genre" value - is there a way to extract the ID from that? In this case the album ID for Sonic R is 1646.

Alternatively, maybe the EXTD field in the "cddb read" response could include the VGMdb album ID? Something like EXTD= VGMID: 1646

If there's concern about existing clients not understanding the EXTD field, it could probably be placed in a comment field.

Thank you so much in advance, and thank you so much for this service like, as a whole.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 09:16 AM

Hi there, sorry for the double-post, just had a question: is there a way to submit alternative song lengths to the VGMdb?

The use case: I have my Sonic R soundtrack as a cue sheet + split wav files, with the pregaps appended to the previous track (the standard/default).

When I load the cue sheet in foobar2000, I get slightly shorter track lengths, since it subtracts the gaps from the song lengths, and the VGMDB lookup fails.

So when I load the cue sheet, select those tracks, and do a freedb lookup, foobar2000 uses this url and gets no results:

http://vgmdb.net/cddb?cmd=cddb+query...b2+0.8&proto=6

If instead I load the audio files and select those, foobar2000 uses this url:

http://vgmdb.net/cddb?cmd=cddb+query...b2+0.8&proto=6

(notice all the offsets are slightly larger in the second URL, since foobar2000 isn't subtracting the pregap lengths).

Using the default CDDB server results in inexact matches for both queries:

http://freedb.dbpoweramp.com/~cddb/c...b2+0.8&proto=6

http://freedb.dbpoweramp.com/~cddb/c...b2+0.8&proto=6

I wouldn't want to mess up anybody who's using rips that include the pregaps. I don't know how the usual CDDB servers implement inexact matches.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 07:11 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprjr View Post
Hi there, I didn't know if there's a way to link cddb IDs to vgmdb album IDs.

I'm writing a script to try and organize my music, and for cases where I don't have a lot of metadata, I'm generating everything I need to perform a CDDB lookup. For example:
http://vgmdb.net/cddb?cmd=cddb+query...=jprjr&proto=6

That returns an entry for the Sonic R Soundtrack, and of course I can grab the CDDB tracklist at http://vgmdb.net/cddb?cmd=cddb+read+...=jprjr&proto=6

I'd love for my script to be able to figure out the VGMdb album ID once I have a successful lookup.

I noticed the "genre" was returned as Soundtrack1967, and most results seem to have a unique "genre" value - is there a way to extract the ID from that? In this case the album ID for Sonic R is 1646.

Alternatively, maybe the EXTD field in the "cddb read" response could include the VGMdb album ID? Something like EXTD= VGMID: 1646

If there's concern about existing clients not understanding the EXTD field, it could probably be placed in a comment field.

Thank you so much in advance, and thank you so much for this service like, as a whole.
@jprjr Hi, can you please make an issue about this on our GitHub tracker?: https://github.com/vgmdb/tracker/issues

This is the best way to ensure that your request gets seen.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 08:44 AM

Is /ja adress still in use?
I can use the default laguage port. But whenever I want to get Japanese titles, it gets nothing(without redirecting to default language).
Old Jun 17, 2022, 11:40 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkingBoy69 View Post
Is /ja adress still in use?
I can use the default laguage port. But whenever I want to get Japanese titles, it gets nothing(without redirecting to default language).
Tried it before, not that good, gonna have to go to the entry then manually copy/paste the titles & somehow get rid of the numbers and/or track times (if present), whether by using Excel or a Macro.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 01:51 PM

Does it work for web releases or only on CD?
Old Oct 19, 2022, 02:54 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rak View Post
Does it work for web releases or only on CD?
Web doesn’t do CDDB to begin with, nor does it have Disc ID.
Not to mention how different it can be from what’s on the CD.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 11:37 AM

What the hell is it with this component never pulling up the tracklist?

https://vgmdb.net/album/83396 <---This page has SEVEN FREEDB ENTRIES and I get 0 results when using the tagger in Foobar. Why is that?

And for the love of God, people, if there is an English or Romaji tracklist, then PLEASE SET THAT TO THE DEFAULT. Can't even begin to tell you how many times Japanese has been the default recently. THANK YOU.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 11:48 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno_Wrath33 View Post
What the hell is it with this component never pulling up the tracklist?

https://vgmdb.net/album/83396 <---This page has SEVEN FREEDB ENTRIES and I get 0 results when using the tagger in Foobar. Why is that?

And for the love of God, people, if there is an English or Romaji tracklist, then PLEASE SET THAT TO THE DEFAULT. Can't even begin to tell you how many times Japanese has been the default recently. THANK YOU.
Wouldn’t use this component in the first place. Especially as the site hasn’t quite fully crossed over to its new system yet.
Additionally, the developer behind this isn’t all that active on it either. Who knows how many things have to be changed?

Also, the ENG tracklist was already the default in that page you’d just linked. It’s site policy to make those default too.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 01:02 AM

Hmm... are you sure that ENG is by default there?
Old Feb 19, 2023, 11:17 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertman View Post
Hmm... are you sure that ENG is by default there?
It’s the first one to show up, and can be checked when you want to edit the tracklist, so yes.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 11:22 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Also, if you bring up the edit page for the tracklist, the checkbox for default is marked. There could be some other issue though.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 07:22 AM

There seems to be a bug when retrieving tags from the cddb using foobar2000 2.0 version.

When using the "/ja" suffix, the cddb always return no match. But the tagging info can still be found with "/en", "/ja-latn" and the default "/cdda".

I've tested with several albums and the play time and track number of the track lists all match up.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 05:24 PM

I don't get Artist name when retrieving from EAC. Do others experience this as well?
Old Jun 29, 2023, 07:00 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbook View Post
I don't get Artist name when retrieving from EAC. Do others experience this as well?
That never happens for sure, because the site doesn't have a feature to link artist names to the tracks in question.
For now the only identifier for artists on specific tracks (among other things like who the composer /arranger/lyricist are) is in the notes.