VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 17, 2008, 11:29 AM

Default CDDB and other options

In my experience, when ripping my game music CDs using iTunes, the automatic artist and track info that comes back from CDDB is truly a mixed bag. Half the time the track names are in the original Japanese, the rest are English. The genre is never consistent (personally, I use GSM, a cue from Capcom, because I think it sounds cool, and soundtrack is way to generic) and other info, such as disc number, total tracks or year is often missing.

Is there any way to fix this? It would seem that replicating vgmdb's information up to CDDB would fix the situation, but perhaps only for English-speaking users. Would it be possible to setup a similar sever that containes vgmdb's information that I could point my itunes at when looking for track information (if iTunes even supports this)? It sounds like a project, but since the info is already available in the db, maybe it's just a matter of writing a script or tool to provide the conversion.

Anyway, just an idea. I have spent many hours fixing track information in iTunes and would love to never have to go throught that again.
Old May 17, 2008, 11:49 AM
VGMdb Administrator

freedb/cddb emulation was an early idea we threw around. It's certainly possible, but existing php scripts are still primitive and will require quite a bit of work to implement. Anyway, you've reminded me that I have a few album fields to add to the database, freedb codes being one of them.
Old May 19, 2008, 01:29 PM

Thanks, Gigablah. And for any who are interested, a hosts file hack to redirect itunes to another track info database.
Old May 19, 2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnutz View Post
Thanks, Gigablah. And for any who are interested, a hosts file hack to redirect itunes to another track info database.
As a side note, /etc/hosts location on Windows systems (or at least XP and earlier) is c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts