VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:08 AM

I'm trying to find composer credits for Bubble Bobble, and it's really confusing.
According to the staff roll it is the following:
Sound: Shotaro, OGR, Takagi
Composer: Kimi

Hisayoshi Ogura and Tadashi Kimijima are obvious, but when I look up Takagi I find Masahiko Takagi, who spells his name exactly the same as Masahiko Takaki, both work for ZUNTATA, and both are credited for different works. Is this just a typo somewhere, or did there work two people with nearly the same at ZUNTATA at the same time?
To make things even more confusing Mobygames lists Takaki as composer for Rastan Saga (Arcade), and Takagi as composer for Rastan Saga (Master System). The AC credits show his entire name, while SMS credits only say "Mar.". I'm aware that Takaki is credited with the alias Mar. on this site, so what exactly is correct here? Mar. also shows up on the credits for Continental Circus, which is linked to Takagi on Mobygames. Is Takagi just a silly name for Takaki to use randomly to confuse people?
Do you think Kimijima is only listed as "composer" because he created the original arcade music, but actually had nothing to do with the famicom port?
I have no idea who Shotaro might be though.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 02:25 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneSatyr View Post
when I look up Takagi I find Masahiko Takagi, who spells his name exactly the same as Masahiko Takaki
They're the same yeah, 高木 can be read both ways (punch it into the search bar here and you'll see both). For whatever reason (possibly sloppiness), Masahiko Takaki was credited as Takagi in several games.

Quote:
Do you think Kimijima is only listed as "composer" because he created the original arcade music, but actually had nothing to do with the famicom port?
That would be my guess, but it's possible Kimijima was still at Taito at the time so who knows for sure???

Quote:
I have no idea who Shotaro might be though.
GOOD QUESTION

There's a Shotaro for sound in the TG-16 port of Tatsujin too, but that was apparently developed by Sting and published by Taito, so it may not necessarily be the same person
Old Sep 12, 2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
They're the same yeah, 高木 can be read both ways (punch it into the search bar here and you'll see both). For whatever reason (possibly sloppiness), Masahiko Takaki was credited as Takagi in several games.
So Takaki is the correct name for him, and he is the one that composed Rastan Saga, Bubble Bobble, Night Striker etc.?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 03:36 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, Takaki is correct, and he did Rastan Saga, Night Striker, etc. The old Zuntata profile for Mar. included both of those games, and there's a specific credit as MASAHIKO "MAR" TAKAKI on this album.

The most explicit evidence I have to show that Takagi is the same person is that Takagi is credited as a sound designer in Kuri Kinton, and Mar. did the commentary for it on GSM Taito 5.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:12 PM

All right, that's good enough for me. Thanks for the help.