VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:30 PM

Default Good Old Games soundtracks

I buy games at Good Old Games (GOG.com) and many of them include MP3 soundtrack albums. Would they qualify for listing here on the site? They're all 100% official and don't usually match up against earlier official soundtrack releases (like the Fallout 1 soundtrack, it has a bonus track, and the Tex Murphy Overseer soundtrack is completely different.)

Just wondering, I plan to add my albums to my collection at RateYourMusic, and I figure I'd do the same here since your database has helped me catalog my stuff there too.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:41 PM

HOLY ****!
I have no idea what you're talking about here but your avatar is from FOX HUNT?! You are my HERO! *epic thumbs up!* I love that game!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:04 AM
VGMdb Advisor

If they are organized as an album (ie.- as long as they aren't a bunch of unordered and random mp3s), sure.
If they aren't, well maybe you could post about the contents in the thread or RateYourMusic, it'd be helpful. I'm curious about some of these OSTs and bonus items.

Particulary, do you know if the Planescape Torment OST is the same as this CD?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaleon64 View Post
HOLY ****!
I have no idea what you're talking about here but your avatar is from FOX HUNT?! You are my HERO! *epic thumbs up!* I love that game!
Ha ha. Well my nickname is (or was) Kitsune Sniper... I need to get back to that game sometime.

Dag: Some soundtracks are a bunch of MP3s with songs from the game (no titles, just "Track XX"), while others are fully tagged and credited. Unfortunately, I only own like 34 games out of their entire catalog.

I DO intend to ask for help from the GOG forum users! I plan to ask them to post Winamp tracklists of the songs and the cover images so I can upload them to here and RYM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 04:20 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

About GOG MP3s, i knew it for some time.. but i haven't been able to investigate further as they do not post the tracklist anywhere, and i could not find any details about these included bonuses.

Like dag said, it depends on how they are obtained.
Is it a separate download ? Do the mp3s are just in a folder somewhere within the folders of the game ? etc..
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
About GOG MP3s, i knew it for some time.. but i haven't been able to investigate further as they do not post the tracklist anywhere, and i could not find any details about these included bonuses.

Like dag said, it depends on how they are obtained.
Is it a separate download ? Do the mp3s are just in a folder somewhere within the folders of the game ? etc..
Here, lemme show you.

When you purchase the game, you also get some bonus materials. Once you've bought it, the game is added to your profile page. Once there you click on the game box and that little window pops up. You can choose to download the game, or any of the bonus materials (which may be the manual, wallpapers, avatars, story books, hint guides, videos, or the actual soundtrack.)

So the soundtrack is a separate download in a separate zip file. When you pay for the game, you also pay for the soundtrack (it's included for free.)

Out of all my games, the following have soundtracks:
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Beyond Divinity
Divine Divinity
Arx Fatalis (this is basically ambient sounds though)
The Incredible Machine Megapack
Tropico Reloaded
Tex Murphy Overseer
Postal 2 (an MP3 version of "Music To Go Postal By")
Tyrian 2000
Outcast
Rise of the Triad: Dark War
The Pandora Directive
Redneck Rampage Collection (this is an MP3 rip of the various artists soundtrack for the first game that normally plays in the background in the original game)

I personally believe that this counts as an enclosure, but I'd rather be sure first.

Last edited by Foxhack; Mar 16, 2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:13 PM
Trusted Editor

Total Annihilation has also mp3 soundtrack.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:14 PM

I also forgot to mention the two Blood games. Aheh.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:05 PM

I dunno if it's on GoG's version (yet), but on DotEmu, The Last Express comes with an Mp3 version of the soundtrack (http://vgmdb.net/album/1379) in its own folder independent of the game.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:50 PM

It doesn't include a soundtrack at GOG.