VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 4, 2022, 06:13 PM

Default Suggestions for melancholic FM tracks

Hi,

I am trying to create a playlist of FM (mainly Adlib/Soundblaster (e.g. OPL2/3) or Sega Genesis (OPN2)) music that has a melangolic character to it. Something that puts you in the mood for a long RPG or epic adventure game.

These 9 tracks give a good example of what I mean: https://soundcloud.com/bob4142/sets/sad-fm

I'm looking for the best of the best. (not just any old slow track). I think the tracks in my Soundcloud playlist stand out for their composition. They are probably among the best but my search results have dried up a bit of late.

If you have suggestions of similar tracks, I would love to hear them!
(I have already been made aware of these classic msdos soundtracks: Dune, Tyrian, Rusty)

Cheers,

YZ

Example Sound cloud Track list :

Ultima VI: The False Prophet - Can't Remove the Pain "Kenneth W. Arnold, Herman Miller, Todd Mitchell Porter, David R. Watson" Adlib/Soundblaster (OPL2-YM3812/OPL3-YMF262)
Star Control 2 - Quasispace Kevin Palivec Adlib/Soundblaster (OPL2-YM3812/OPL3-YMF262)
Ys III - Sentimental Twilight "Mieko Ishikawa, Masaaki Kawai" Sega Genesis (OPN2/YM2612)
Final Zone - After the War "Motoi?Sakuraba, Masaaki Uno" Sega Genesis (OPN2/YM2612)
Valis III - Deja-Vu "Jun Hasebe, Hisao Inoue, Shingo Murakami" Sega Genesis (OPN2/YM2612)
Psy-O-Blade - Be Discared "Kazunori Hasegawa, Shigeru Tomita" Sega Genesis (OPN2/YM2612)
The Pirates of Dark Water - Track 2 Rick Fox Sega Genesis (OPN2/YM2612)
Thor's Hammer Unknown Adlib/Soundblaster (OPL2-YM3812/OPL3-YMF262)
Hocus Pocus - Menu Wallace Music & Sound Adlib/Soundblaster (OPL2-YM3812/OPL3-YMF262)
Wolfenstein 3D - Wondering about my loved ones Bobby Prince Adlib/Soundblaster (OPL2-YM3812/OPL3-YMF262)
Jennifer Capriati Tennis - Ending 2 Hiroki Kamata Sega Genesis (OPN2/YM2612)
Cannon Fodder - Narcissus "Jon Hare, Richard Joseph" Adlib/Soundblaster (OPL2-YM3812/OPL3-YMF262)

Last edited by yz1981; Jun 4, 2022 at 07:22 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 06:47 PM

You mention Genesis/Mega Drive but I think you'd have better luck with PC88 and PC98. Plenty of RPGs and visual novel/graphic adventure games that have exactly the kind of music you're looking for.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 07:20 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
You mention Genesis/Mega Drive but I think you'd have better luck with PC88 and PC98. Plenty of RPGs and visual novel/graphic adventure games that have exactly the kind of music you're looking for.
Thank you. And excellent suggestion and after I discovered the existance of PC88/PC98 (and FM Towns) PC lines I did think the same.

My request for recommendations from y'all still stands though because, although there are many visual novel games on theses platforms, I found the music of most of them pretty bland or simplistic.

I love to extend my collection with tracks that are a bit more sophisticated (as I hope you will agree if you listen to my finds sofar in the Soundcloud playlist I mentioned)

But, a good idea nonetheless and I will keep mining the Japanse PC platforms from that era.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 07:56 PM

TMNT Tournament Fighters - Kirai

virtually everything from Ecco the Dolphin