VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 13, 2008, 08:26 PM

EDIT: You know, I just noticed there was an albums discussion sub-forum where this should have gone. Could one of the mods move this into there with a subject rename? Sorry! -_-;

So yeah, I didn't see a translation of this on the site, so I worked on one today. I'm not 100% pleased with some of these translations, but it's something. You can probably find some more information on the characters, which might give clues to the katakana. I haven't heard anything about the OST being released outside the special edition, but I don't want to spend $130 when the game is coming out the same day in the US for $30.

Here's the source of the OST. I've included my translation notes when I went through my kanji dictionary, but some of them came from babelfish (taken with a grain of salt, of course). If anybody has ideas about the translation, that would be great!

http://www.konamistyle.jp/sp/dracula_ds3/list.html

01.黄昏の聖痕
koukon (dusk) no sei-kon (holy scar/footprint/mark)
Dusk's Holy Mark
-
02.鎮魂テストゥード
chinkon (repose of souls – see also 'chinkonkyoku' – requiem) tesutuudo (Testwood?)
Testood Requiem? (got no clue what the katakana is)
-
03.黎明ディカントス
reimei (morning twilight/dawn) dikantosu (decants = pouring wine)
Decants of Dawn (Decanting Dawn)
-
04.エクレシア・序章
Ecclesia – jo (beginning, sequence, preface) shou (chapter)
Ecclesia – Opening Chapter
-
05.雅-疾走-
Miyabita (elegant/refined; graceful) -shissou (scamper, run at full speed)
Gracefulness -Running-
-
06.不惑の瞬き
fuwaku (age forty) no matata(ki) (blink, twinkle)
Forty-Year Twinkle
-
07.紅珠エレジー
kou/kurenai (crimson) shu/tama (jewel, gem) elegy
Elegy of the Crimson Gem
-
08.序章 ~再び~
joshou (Opening Chapter) ~futatabi~ (twice, again)
Opening Chapter ~Again~
-
09.萌芽の竪琴
houga (germ, sprout) no tategoto (harp, lyre)
Germinating Harp
-
10.燻しの隠れ家
smoking no retreat
Smoking Retreat
-
11.葵セレナーデ
aoi sereneedo
Mallow Serenade (Mallow is a plant, like Hollyhock)
-
12.闘魂狂詩曲
toukon (fighting spirit) mania poem-tune (ballad?)
Poem/Ballad of Maniacal Fighting Spirit
-
13.波断の海路
nami/HA-DAN/ta(tsu) (wave-cut/judgment)(sea route)
Sea Rout of Wave's Judgment
-
14.藍愁ラプソディ
ran (indigo) ure(i) grief,sorrow, distress rhapsody
Rhapsody of Indigo Sorrow
-
15.カントゥス・モテト
Kantu's Theme (Honestly not familiar with all the characters)
-
16.焦土の大厳
Massive Rock of Scorched Earth
-
17.薄霧の樹彩
Thin Fog of ki (tree)/tateru (set up, established) sai (color)
Thin Fog of Tree Color (the Color of Trees) (yeah...no clue here)
-
18.聖骸カテドラル
sei (sacred) gai (bones)Cathedral
Cathedral of the Sacred Bones
-
19.紺碧の彷徨
Wandering of Deep Blue (Deep Blue Wanderings)
-
20.歪みの黒凛
distortion of black rin (cold, chilling ~ severe)
Distortion of Chilling Blackness (not sure about this)
-
21.瑠璃色ヴァージナル
Virginal Lapis Lazuli
-
22.荒絃鼓動
rough-string kodou (heartbeat)
Rough-Stringed Heartbeat (Heartbeat of Rough Strings)
-
23.高潔なる変奏曲
becoming noble strange playing tune
Strange Ennobling Tune
-
24.激昂の軌跡~会話~
Exciting Locus ~Conversation~
-
25.悲哀の呪縛
Spell of Sorrow
-
26.闇の聖路
Saintly Road of Darkness
-
27.激昂の軌跡 (kiseki)
Locus of Excitement

Disc 2

01.宿怨の居城
shukuen (long-standing resentment/grudge) of kyojo (daimyo's residential castle)
(Old) Grudge of (the) Baronial (Baron's) Castle (?)
Old Grudge of the Baron's Castle (it's in Romania)
-
02.宵月のワルツ
Waltz of the Evening Moon
-
03.麗夢幻想曲
Beautiful Dream's Fantastic Tune (Fantastic Tune of the Beautiful Dream)
-
04.黄昏の聖痕
Dusk's Holy Mark
-
05.狂気の思惑
Insane Thoughts
-
06.マラック迷宮
Marakku
Moloch's Labyrinth (Molochai?)
-
07.漆黒の翼
Jet-Black Wing

08.The Tower of Dolls
-
09.冥府への門
meifu (hades, realm of the dead)
To the Gates of Hell
-
10.ガルガンチュア
Gargantua
-
11.Fomer Room2
-
12.翳りゆく牙城
kaza(su)? (ri?)yuku (to go?) gajou (citadel, stronghold = fang-castle (neat kanji))
block the light/dim (it goes? - going dim)
Citadel Goes Dim/Blocks the Light (...yeah...)
-
13.繻紗魔交響詩
satin gossamer demon symphonic poem
Symphonic Poem of (the) Satin Demon
-
14.リチェルカーレ
RICHER KARE
Richel Kaare??? (can't figure this one out)
-
15.星降る夜の鎮魂歌
Requiem of Night's Falling Star
-
16.再会のとき
Time of Reunion
-
17.終焉のとき
Time of Death (shuuen – one's last moments)
-
18.唐草カノン
Arabesque Canon
-
19.装具の話
Talking About Equipment (must be the shop theme)
-
20.孤高の挑戦者
Aloof Challenger
-
21.RIDDLE (probably boss rush)
-
▼アレンジ版▼ (Arranged Versions)
22.黄昏の聖痕
Dusk's Holy Mark

23.歪みの黒凛
Distortion of Chilling Blackness

24.紺碧の彷徨
Wandering of Deep Blue/Deep Blue Wanderings
-
25.藍愁ラプソディ
Rhapsody of Indigo Sorrow
-
26.瑠璃色ヴァージナル
Virginal Lapis Lazuli
-
27.繻紗魔交響詩
Symphonic Poem of (the) Satin Demon
-

Last edited by CaptainCommando; Sep 14, 2008 at 05:30 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 05:49 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for the translation. I hooked this thread up to the album. You can start new album discussion threads by following the "Discuss" link next to the album editing menu.

Meanwhile, I don't think I'll be able to help with the more difficult ones, but you might just put these up anyway. BTW, the albums are publicly editable as long as you are logged in. You could submit the English titles by adding a new tracklist.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 08:45 AM

Thanks Capt'n, for the translation! Maybe Ecclesia will be like Portrait of Ruin and have a Sound Test mode with all the English track names, we'll find out soon I guess.

Any word on other composers contributing this time around or is it all done by Michiru Yamane?

The official site has two trailers up for those who want to get a small sample of the music...I especially enjoyed video #2. This should be a great soundtrack!
http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/dracula_ds3/

"You returned here again? You can't beat me even though you challenge repeatedly."
-Mr. Wardner
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:21 AM

I really hope it can live up to PoR's standards. PoR had some incredibly amazing tracks (quite a few of them being Koshiro's masterful contribution to the game).
So far, what I've listened from the sample clips sounds pretty good. I guess I won't be able to ressist ordering the japanese edition because of this cd XD.

I REALLY hope the game has an english option, otherwise it will become rather useless...

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 01:40 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I added the tracklist, with some changes/fixes of my own.

According to this site a "testudo" (track 2) is a "lyre, frequently made of tortoise shell". Who would have guessed?

(that site has a lot of obscure musical terms, useful when the next castlevania comes)
Old Sep 19, 2008, 06:28 AM

Ah great! Sorry I hadn't noticed the addition option.

I wondered what that katakana was and thought it might be a character or location from the game. Never thought it could have been something that would have been a kanji!

I suppose if they DO have the English sound test, I'll be able to check how accurate my translation was to what they had
Old Sep 19, 2008, 06:57 AM

Wouldn't calling it the Akumajo Dracula The Stolen Seal Original Soundtrack be more consistent with the rest of the site?
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Wouldn't calling it the Akumajo Dracula The Stolen Seal Original Soundtrack be more consistent with the rest of the site?
I agree. The album display title should simply be what's shown on the front cover of the soundtrack with the localisations and other assorted titles in smaller font. The counter-argument offered was that the display title should be what is most "familiar" to people who visit this site.

Which doesn't explain why Ryuuko no Ken is changed to Art of Fighting while Ryu ga Gotoku & Ryu ga Gotoku 2 Original Sound Track is still Ryu Ga Gotoku (known outside Japan as Yakuza and Yakuza 2)

*According to Gigablah, the most frequent visitors of VGMdb.net are from Japan so the main titles should be in Japanese anyway if using that argument...
Old Sep 19, 2008, 09:01 PM
VGMdb Administrator

This site is aimed towards English speakers though. Anyway, the policy about localizing album titles might change once we have the product database up (localize game titles instead of album titles?) For now, consistency looks like a better option.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 12:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

It is sometimes bothersome, for example with the new Valkyrie Profile for DS. The soundtrack has the official English name on the cover ("Covenant of the Plume"), whereas the arrange album uses the Japanese name ("Toga o seō mono"), so it would end up with a direct translation ("The Accused One"). All those names are confusing indeed.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 02:38 AM

Well, the problem I have is the inconsistency with everything else on the site. The Japanese name is always used unless it's a domestic release. Sure, in the cases of Minuet of Dawn, Concerto of the Midnight Sun, Chronicles, and Castlevania PS2, Castlevania is in the album name but that's because Castlevania was in the game name. Pretty much everything else is Akumajo Dracula. To keep things consistent, I think it should be Akumajo Dracula The Stolen Seal Original Soundtrack if we're following the example of Gallery of Labyrinth or Akumajo Dracula Ubawareta Kokuin Original Soundtrack if we're following the example of Yami no Juin (Curse of Darkness).
Old Sep 20, 2008, 04:38 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I agree that the display title of this album should be Akumajo Dracula to be consistent with our other Castlevania albums.

There are other inconsistencies on the site, and the Art of Fighting one is a good example. There, it seems we followed the precedent of naming it what it was commonly referred to in our fan community. With our multiple-title system, we probably don't need to do that anymore, so there a number of albums that need some edits.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:52 AM

While we're on the subject of titles...

Since 悪魔城 is あくまじょう, should it not be Akumajou or Akumajō (with macron) to take into account the longer ending sound? (Akumajou Dracula also brings up more search results than the other two on Google)

Anyway, this is how I think all the titles should be displayed, in the case of Japanese albums:

line 1: Display Name (ignoring what it is known outside Japan)
Romanisation of Japanese (Kanji) game title, if game title is displayed in English already (e.g. Final Fantasy), then use that. If the game title has a subtitle (e.g. Gekka no Yasoukyoku), then romanise it. If subtitle already in displayed in English, then use that. Any katakana will be translated to English. (If you like emulation/roms, then this is exactly [I think] how No-Intro goes about naming the titles of Japanese games)

I'm debating whether we should imitate the font casing as well. So if the erratic game album title (assuming it's in English) had a bunch of words with lower-casing and another bunch of words with ALL CAPS, then it should be the same on the display name line, as visually displeasing as it is.

line 2: Original
Title as it exactly appears on the cover (Kanji, Katakana etc).

line 3: Full Romanisation
Everything fully romanised, even katakana like Original Soundtrack. Probably modified hepburn romanisation method without use of accented characters.

line 4: Full Translation
A full translation of the title on line 2. E.g. Seiken Densetsu becomes Holy Sword Legend/Legend of the Holy Sword, Akumajou becomes Demon Castle, etc... same goes for the subtitles.

line 5/6/7/etc: Official English Equilavent (if any)
Now we get line 1, replace the game name and game subtitles with what it is officially known outside Japan. So "Seiken Densetsu 4" becomes "Dawn of Mana", "Tales of Eternia" becomes "Tales of Destiny 2" etc... In some cases, a game might have different names in both Europe and USA so we might need several lines for this. For example, "Estpolis Denki II" becomes "Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals" (USA) and "Lufia" (Europe), "OZ" becomes "The Sword of Etheria" (Europe) and "Chains of Power" (Korea apparently). No USA release. Maybe we could have flag markers here to specify what the game is known in which region.

I think the above is pretty informative and since line 5/6/7/etc is searchable, most people should find what they're looking for, whether they're looking for the English or Japanese title.

As for English-language music CDs, it will simply involve line 1 and line 5/6/7/etc.

Anyway, that's just the way I think it should be done.

Last edited by layzee; Sep 20, 2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:21 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We had lots of arguments about titles before settling in on the current system, which isn't as completely rigid as the one you describe, so it leaves some room for interpretation. It took a while to even decide whether to take the titles from the Obi or the Cover.

Just a couple of things:

I'd rather not include a literal translation of a game title when no one ever calls the game by that name. (e.g. Legend of the Holy Sword)

I don't see any reason to romanize a borrow word. That's why I never want to see "Orijinaru Sandotrakku" in one of the titles.

I definitely prefer a romanization that shows double vowels vs. macrons (Touhou vs Tōhō.) One problem though is that we decided to take the official romanization on a product by product basis. For example, Yoko Kanno is officially known as Yoko Kanno, not Youko Kanno or Yōko Kanno, so that's our name for her here even though it uses a romanization style that we prefer the least.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:09 PM

There is a pre-order bonus coming out with the game next week to certain US retailers, so I've just added it to the database:
http://vgmdb.net/album/10714

Six total (5 + 1 arrange track):

An Empty Tome
Edge of the Sky
Sorrow’s Distortion
Ebony Wings
Order of the Demon
Wandering the Crystal Blue

There are also new updates to the official Japanese site with seven sample tracks you can preview...don't know if they are the same as some of these or not.
http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/dracula...ery/sound.html

"You returned here again? You can't beat me even though you challenge repeatedly."
-Mr. Wardner
Old Oct 28, 2008, 09:32 PM

Hi, I'm Aziela over at CV Dungeon.

I've taken the time to write the proper english names of the OST down and I will post them here as well:

Order of Ecclesia OST
(Proper English Names)

Disc 1:
1. An Empty Tome
2. Oncoming Dread
3. Heroic Dawning
4. Ecclesia
5. Vanishing
6. Deliberate Blink
7. Sapphire Elegy
8. A Prologue
9. Destiny's Stage
10. Chapel Hidden in Smoke
11. Serenade of the Hearth
12. Symphony of Battle
13. A Clashing of Waves
14. Rhapsody of the Forsaken
15. Cantus Montetten -1
16. Jaws of a Scorched Earth
17. Emerald Mist
18. Unholy Vespers
19. Wandering the Crystal Blue
20. Dissonant Courage
21. Edge of the Sky
22. Tragedy's Pulse
23. Hard Won Nobility
24. Trace of Rage
25. Sorrow's Distortion
26. Dark Holy Road
27. Lament to the Master

Disc 2:
1. Stones Hold a Grudge
2. Welcome to Legend
3. Passing into the Night
4. An Empty Tome
5. Chamber of Ruin
6. Malak's Labyrinth
7. Ebony Wings
8. Tower of Dolls
9. Gate of the Underworld
10. The Colossus
11. Former Room 2
12. Shadow's Stronghold
13. Order of the Demon
14. Rituals
15. Requiem of Star-Crossed Nights
16. Reunion
17. Consummation
18. Armory Arabesque
19. Enterprising Mercantilism
20. Lone Challenger
21. Riddle
22. An Empty Tome - Arranged
23. Dissonant Courage - Arranged
24. Wandering the Crystal Blue - Arranged
25. Rhapsody of the Forsaken - Arranged
26. Edge of the Sky - Arranged
27. Order of the Demon - Arranged
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:24 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for the translations -- I assume they're the official ones. I'll go ahead and replace the old tracklist.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 06:29 AM

Yup - they should be the names from the sound test. I'm one or two boss fights away from confirming this as I haven't beaten the game yet, but we had a discussion about it over at the Castlevania Dungeon forums

Now I have to compare them with the original translations we had to see how they got what they have here!

Thanks, Aziela!
Old Oct 30, 2008, 06:56 PM

Ok, just unlocked the sound test (must say it's a pretty impressive game, but I thought the end could have used more snazz There's a few things of note here:

The game includes a few tracks not on the disc. Most of these are just versions of Castlevania 1 (all the level themes, Nothing to Lose, Black Night, and Game Over). However...

Cantus Motet has an alternate version in the sound test with an organ intro. Oddly enough, both are the same exact length. My guess is they picked one the one they thought sounded best. Anyway, should Cantus Motet not have the -1 after it as no 'Cantus Motet -2' exists outside of the sound test?

I'm also really curious as to why they chose those translations. It's unfortunate there isn't any documentation on why they did it that way (perhaps text space requirements?). Personally, I think some of the literal translations just sound better, but others (i.e. Ebony Wings and Emerald Mist) sound better in the official translation and makes me think 'how come I didn't think of that!' While I like the originals because I helped translate them, I suppose they'll have to be these because that's what most people will know them as these in the US...

Then again, it's also kind of like how 'The Tragic Prince' is known as 'Young Nobleman of Sadness' in the Castlevania Special Music CD... Personally, I think Tragic Prince is like 100 times better and I don't think many people who have been listening to SotN's soundtrack for the past 10 years will start calling it by the new name...

http://vgmdb.net/album/7093
Old Mar 6, 2010, 04:31 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Where does the track composer information come from? I don't see it on any of the scans.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Where does the track composer information come from? I don't see it on any of the scans.
http://www.konamistyle.jp/sp/dracula_ds3/list.html
Old Mar 7, 2010, 03:41 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Thanks. I've added it to the website list, though I don't have a name for it, so maybe you or someone else could fill one in.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 04:01 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Oh yeah, what's the original source of "Tower of Dolls"? It's credited to Konami Kukeiha Club, so I'm assuming it comes from an older CV game, but I can't identify it.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Oh yeah, what's the original source of "Tower of Dolls"? It's credited to Konami Kukeiha Club, so I'm assuming it comes from an older CV game, but I can't identify it.
dracula x68k.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:18 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
dracula x68k.
Thanks. I often forget about that soundtrack, even though I own the PS1 version of the game. Guess I could have done a title search also, lol.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 05:30 PM

by the way, I used to think that this OST has no English text for its title; since both sides on the case are written in Japanese. However, the english title is there, but on the inside (tray).

http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=38021

we should really use this for display line, imho.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:46 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
we should really use this for display line, imho.
Another Romaji English album title, yay.

Let's see what SS decides on before we change anything. No need for embarrassing yourself like I did with my own hasty changes on the other handheld Castlevania albums, hehehe.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:37 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

By the way, if anyone knows a place where I can buy this album, I'm very interested...
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Title renamed as per the Album Title notes (line 1) "If the game has an official english name, you may use it instead of the romanized Japanese name (Art of Fighting instead of Ryouko no Ken).".
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:21 PM

Okay, your timing on this is really trippy though, this just got renamed the opposite way - the Japanese title was put in line 1 and the English title in line 4, and there was even some discussion as to why. I hate to dig this old argument up, but putting an English title in line 1 when it literally is not present on a single part of this album doesn't really make much sense. Yes, we should add it to line 4 to aid in searching, but this really isn't the title of this album at all. Title of the game, yes, but not the album. I agree it should be in line 4 though. I think the album title notes are a little dated and there has definitely been some discussion about this, though it hasn't seemed to be resolved yet (or I'm behind on the times).

Maybe we'll go with your recommendation in the submission guideline thread and then everyone will be happy