VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:36 AM

Also has an english geneon release
Old Feb 2, 2014, 04:52 PM

Does that English release have anything to do with why all the track titles only have the first word capitalized in the English tracklist? I can't see any scans for the other one, so I'm doubting that. I've seen odd cases of sentence case like this in tracklists before, and I've never understood the rationale behind it.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 05:13 PM

maybe for "cuteness"

to me, it's the opposite, I don't get why that should be all capped, it's so ugly especially words starting with A, V and W
Old Feb 2, 2014, 05:47 PM

Well, if you're doing an English tracklist, it makes sense to follow English capitalization rules. If it were a Spanish tracklist, on the other hand, you would only capitalize the first word and then any proper names. Perhaps there are other little exceptions here and there but that's the general title casing rule for Spanish. This isn't Spanish though. It's English, and English has its own set of rules for titles. So, we should follow those rules when writing a title in that language.

If nobody has any source for the capitalization we have right now, I'll change it to English title casing (or someone else can do it if they feel up to it).

Last edited by SimonJXZ; Feb 2, 2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 06:59 PM

English capitalization rules?
afaik, it only concerns tracklists, books and other material don't have that "eccentricity"
I don't even know why that thing exists or is used for tracklists
Old Feb 2, 2014, 07:02 PM
VGMdb Staff

It is Geneon's English tracklist.

Old Feb 2, 2014, 08:33 PM

So it does have to do with Geneon's release. Thanks, I looked around for a picture very briefly and couldn't find one. I wonder how accurate to the Japanese it is. I thought about translating it myself, but those long track names just make me frown :P

Phonograph, I'd ask you to describe what you mean by "eccentricity" and why it should matter, but that would be like when I asked you what you meant by not translating "famous" songs and why that should matter. I doubt you have any more rationale now than you did back then, so please, spare me. Unless there's a consistency reason - tracks on a mixed Japanese/English tracklist are written in sentence case, all caps, etc - or there's a case like this (which is also somewhat of a consistency reason), there isn't really a good reason not to follow the capitalization rules for the language you're translating into, whatever that language may be.

Last edited by SimonJXZ; Feb 2, 2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 08:45 PM
VGMdb Staff

No matter how accurate it is or not, it is as "official" as you can get and shouldn't be changed. You can however submit your translation (as new tracklist) if you really feel like to.

Last edited by Efendija; Feb 5, 2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 08:55 PM

Oh I know, I wouldn't suggest we replace the Geneon one even if someone were to translate the Japanese themselves. I was just genuinely wondering "out loud", so to speak. Like I mentioned in my previous post, cases exactly like these are a good reason to have a tracklist with whatever weird capitalization and translation exists in it.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:24 AM

what capitalization rules?

I don't mean proper names, I'm pretty sure all languages do that
I only mean capitalizing the first letter of almost all words of a track (with exception like "a", "the", etc.)

I don't know where that fantasy comes from
books, blogs, etc. never use that sort of words capitalization, so why tracknames do?
as far as I know, it's the only thing to have that
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
what capitalization rules?
http://www.grammar-monster.com/lesso...title_case.htm
http://grammar.about.com/od/tz/g/Title-Case.htm
http://www.techwriter.de/tc-forum/topicmai/ml03capi.htm
http://www.editage.co.kr/resources/pdf/case.pdf

The capitalization rules that have existed for a very, very long time in the English language. I suggest you get on Google and do some research if you don't know about the capitalization rules in English. Also, I'm sort of misusing the word "rules" because they can vary from reputable source to reputable source and thus they're kind of like really strong guidelines, but they're certainly there.

Now sure, anybody naming anything can use any kind of capitalization they want. Obviously, there is an uncountable amount of CDs whose tracklists are printed in all upper case, all lower case, or just about any other letter case you can think of. I'm just not sure how that makes a real thing in English grammar a "fantasy".