Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should VGMdb sponsor a petition for nintendo soundtracks
Yes 13 56.52%
No 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:39 PM

Default VGMDB Petition For Nintendo Soundtracks

If you want vgmdb to actually sponsor a petition for Nintendo to release soundtracks respond with a "yay".

edit: poll added.

Last edited by Vert1; Aug 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 04:52 AM

As in, do we want Nintendo Co. Ltd. of Japan to release (or partner with a publisher to release) regularly printed (not limited) game soundtracks?

Or are we talking about Nintendo of America, which will do no such thing, and generally hates its loyal customers?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 07:52 AM

Even if everyone who ever goes here signed it, would an internet petition really do anything? But if you're hopeful, by all means, go for it. I'd like to see Nintendo publish OSTs.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:05 AM

people can't respond with a "yay" because posts must have at least 10 characters =)
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
As in, do we want Nintendo Co. Ltd. of Japan to release (or partner with a publisher to release) regularly printed (not limited) game soundtracks?
This one is what the goal would be. Nintendo has asked gamers for what they wanted in games like Metroid Prime 2: Echoes--people said multiplayer. meh.

Last edited by Vert1; Aug 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:16 AM
VGMdb Administrator

While I'd love to see more Nintendo soundtrack, I don't beleive that this is the best way to spend whatever cachet of influence VGMdb may have accumulated. I'm sure their business reasons for doing what they do are compelling to them.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:05 AM

Need more votes.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:07 AM
Trusted Editor

Wouldn't it be better to make this petition on some petition site and try getting votes that way? Because vgmdb's userbase still is somewhat small (sadly). But then, Nintendo just doesn't like soundtracks for some odd reason, mostly money I guess.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:38 AM

the silly thing is that they would have no trouble seeing a return on their investments in soundtracks, particularly if they did fairly limited print runs. Nintendo are in a far stronger position than most developers in that regard, but other developers are able to make soundtrack releases happen. it probably is that they can't be bothered to arrange it all... maybe it isn't enough of a financial reward to them for it to be considered worth the bother. it certainly is strange... you'd think they'd do it for the fans, but i guess nintendo is a big player and they are interested in figures, ultimately.

the only official spiel i've seen on this said that they thought it was a labour of love and that CD sales were pretty low. i think nintendo OSTs would sell like hotcakes personally, so i think they're missing a trick.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:12 PM
Trusted Editor

I have two questions:
1) What does "sponsor a petition" exactly mean?
2) How could VGMdb even "fill" this position? From my understanding sponsoring can be coming from a person and/or a company. VGMdb is neither a person nor a company.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 07:16 PM

Put simply, VGMDB would have an official site petition on the frontpage. The website owner, Secret Squirrel, would be the actual sponsor.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 09:51 AM

Petitions usually don't work and usually get ignored, also Nintendo Japan has not put out its game OST's for quite some time (though some GameCube titles got official releases). Its a practice that I don't see changing anytime soon, Nintendo is pretty hard headed these days, and with digital releases pushing physical media out I don't really see this having any real impact on their decisions. We are lucky they put out the bonus OST's for OoT 3DS and the pack in for Skyward Sword.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:09 PM

I can't see them receiving a petition signed with the usernames of 43 members of a soundtrack website and going "Oh okay then, let us just create and print thousands of CDs." No offense, but Banditking is right and these petitions never work.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:16 PM

The petition would be sent out to other places for people to sign on to (penny arcade, magicbox, soundtrackcentral, ign, discogs, gamefaqs, whatever).
Old Sep 6, 2011, 02:32 PM

Why don't you just start your own petition and anyone from VGMdb and elsewhere can sign on? You could put a link to the site in your signature or something.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 02:33 PM
Trusted Editor

Internet petitions with hundreds of thousands of signatures have absolutely little relevance to what a company or musician is going to do with their product or art. Remember all those petition sites circa 2000? Remember how many were actually successful? Having everyone here sign a petition saying they want Nintendo to release soundtracks does not necessarily equate to money in their pocket, because you're not going to buy every Nintendo soundtrack that comes out. I'd venture to guess that some people probably wouldn't buy any at all.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:51 PM

Hey, we're up to 18 votes! In 3 1/2 weeks!