VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:33 AM

I hope the 4 tracks for that 3rd cd will have several minutes (like 40)
because wasting 1 cd for 10-15 minutes that could be added on first 2 cds :/

wait and see if it's worth the price
Old Jul 4, 2019, 03:45 PM
VGMdb Staff

Some pics of the recording were posted on Procyon Studio's twitter around a week ago: https://twitter.com/PROCYONSTUDIO

It's the same arranger team as last year's NieR orchestral album.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 04:34 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I preordered this within seconds of seeing the announcement on Twitter. I'm going to the Chrono Cross 20th Anniversary Concert in Osaka in November, so I won't be able to go to this CT/CC orchestral concert too, but I'm really glad they have recorded it and are releasing a set like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:19 AM

Very happy this will be a 3 CD-set instead of a BluRay... looking forward to it!
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:23 AM
VGMdb Advisor

A 3 CD set where the third CD is just a few tracks...

and looking at the arrangers...

I predict this set will be akin to the NieR Orchestra Box. One disc CT, second disc CC, third disc a handful of bonus tracks in "chamber music" forms (as opposed to full orchestra).
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:38 AM
VGMdb Staff

There are currently some typos on the English site:
Guradia Millennial Fair
Reminisce - Enduring Thoughts- (space after the hyphen)

Last edited by Efendija; Aug 30, 2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 01:09 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that the third bonus disc features piano duo arrangements. You don't see that very often. Looking forward to hearing them!

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/music...ono/orchestra/
Old Sep 5, 2019, 07:48 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Got my box today and both the box front and the sticker say "CHRONO ORCHESTRA" (without the L), so I've added it to the titles.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 02:08 PM
Trusted Editor

Another English site typo: Magu's Castle instead of Magus' Castle
Old Sep 7, 2019, 07:07 AM

There's also that one of the tracks is completely mistranslated:

Track 4 should be "The Last Day of the World", as shown in the sound tests of the PS1 and DS releases, and also by literally translating the JP original. But unfortunately officially published tracklists take precedence over any others.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 06:37 PM
Trusted Editor

I took photos of the track listings in the CD booklets: https://imgur.com/a/R67Ki6E

They have the punctuation typos and Guradia/Guardia fixed, but track 4 is still "The Day the World Revived". Also on the bonus disc, Schala's Theme is Sara's Theme, even though it's correct on the first disc.

I've fixed the punctionation and Guradia/Guardia entries but I'm not sure how to handle Schala's/Sara's Theme.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 06:52 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Despite these typos and mistranslations, I'm glad Square Enix recognizes the international audience and is localizing its liner notes in English for their recent music releases. None of the other game companies have done that yet with their soundtracks.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad King View Post
Another English site typo: Magu's Castle instead of Magus' Castle
Actually yours is also a typo. (Hey, my BA in English is good for something.) It's "Magus's Castle." With singular names ending in "s", an apostrophe+s is used. Among anglophones it's a very common error to treat names ending in "s" as if they were plural. It's the same as erroneously saying 90's instead of 90s. I checked the official English track names originally used for Chrono Trigger and they also correctly wrote "Magus's."

EDIT: Looking at your linear note picture, it's weird they would have this error when past releases did not.

Last edited by The Ultimate Mario Fan; Sep 8, 2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 08:37 PM
Trusted Editor

The recent revival release also says Magus', not Magus's: https://vgmdb.net/album/86145

EDIT: And the DS version on Spotify too. It looks like despite it being an error the official english translation does it that way.

Last edited by Toad King; Sep 9, 2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ultimate Mario Fan View Post
Actually yours is also a typo. (Hey, my BA in English is good for something.) It's "Magus's Castle." With singular names ending in "s", an apostrophe+s is used. Among anglophones it's a very common error to treat names ending in "s" as if they were plural. It's the same as erroneously saying 90's instead of 90s. I checked the official English track names originally used for Chrono Trigger and they also correctly wrote "Magus's
I see this claim a lot, but this is not correct. For singular proper nouns that end in S, the possessive S after the apostrophe *can* be omitted at the writer’s discretion. There’s no rule that it must be kept, and it’s sometimes stylistically preferable not to do so. Both Magus’s and Magus’ would be grammatically valid, and the only guideline with possessive S-ending names is that whichever style is chosen be kept consistent within a given text.
(Sources:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...-or-possessive
https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp )
Old Sep 10, 2019, 09:35 AM

That's what I do with my name when writing anything. It's not wrong by any means. I like writing Marcos' better than Marcos's.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 07:47 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I just added a bunch of scans submitted by another user.

There are a couple of images that didn't get scanned (notably, booklet front/back for first disc). I will take care of the remainder myself later today.

I believe the CT/CC discs (1 and 2) are identical packaging with the external releases. The inner ring of the CDs and the registration cards for those discs don't say SQEX-10727 and SQEX-10728 (as you may expect). They say SQEX-10724 and SQEX-10725. (the third disc does, indeed, say SQEX-10729). So if someone wants to port those scans over to the respective separate releases, go for it.

EDIT -- okay, all scans are up! The inner lid has a quote, hard to scan, so I took a little photo.

Last edited by Ramza; Sep 15, 2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 04:09 AM

So dumb that they couldn't just put the orchetsral music all on one disc. And then charge almost 9000 yen for 1.5 discs worth of music? Even for Square Enix that's a pretty insane money grab.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
So dumb that they couldn't just put the orchetsral music all on one disc. And then charge almost 9000 yen for 1.5 discs worth of music? Even for Square Enix that's a pretty insane money grab.
My thoughts exactly...
Old Sep 16, 2019, 09:20 AM

Yup. They did the same thing with the NieR set last year. Wonder which teat they're gonna milk next year...
Old Oct 6, 2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychonotes View Post
I see this claim a lot, but this is not correct. For singular proper nouns that end in S, the possessive S after the apostrophe *can* be omitted at the writer’s discretion. There’s no rule that it must be kept, and it’s sometimes stylistically preferable not to do so. Both Magus’s and Magus’ would be grammatically valid, and the only guideline with possessive S-ending names is that whichever style is chosen be kept consistent within a given text.
(Sources:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...-or-possessive
https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp )
Wrong, it is you who is mistaken. There IS a rule. Merriam Webster has no credence here, nor their definitions in their new-age pop dictionary. OED is a more reputable source, and they state that it is NOT optional: The correct form is Charles's, not Charles'. https://www.lexico.com/en/grammar/apostrophe
https://www.oxfordreference.com/view...5135084-e-1727

It honestly makes logical sense, otherwise it would not differentiate the plural at all, invalidating the entire plural form. The only case where it may be acceptable is if there are two or more people named Charles and you are using the possessive to refer to them both. But no, unlike the Oxford comma, this is not a debate. You are welcome to continue to spell erroneously but bear in mind that it will negatively affect the overall credibility of your writing. In this internet day and age, it doesn't surprise me that pop-age dictionaries are trying to incorporate butchered modern-day common errors, like the recent corruption of the pronunciation of "comparable" and 90's with apostrophe to refer to years. Your welcome, might as well add that one too because its so common. >_>

Last edited by The Ultimate Mario Fan; Oct 6, 2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Wrong, it is you who is mistaken. There IS a rule. Merriam Webster has no credence here, nor their definitions in their new-age pop dictionary. OED is a more reputable source, and they state that it is NOT optional: The correct form is Charles's, not Charles'.
I'll need to see a source demonstrating that Merriam-Webster, the oldest dictionary publisher in the US and now a subsidiary of Encyclopedia Britannica, is a "new age pop dictionary" with no credence, and that Grammarbook is similarly devoid of value, compared to your preferred links. One of which, by the way, I can't read without a subscription (Oxford), and the other of which (Lexico), doesn't actually support the inflexibility of your assertion, as it notes there are, indeed, exceptions. "With personal names that end in -s but are not spoken with an extra s: just add an apostrophe after the -s." This site leaves unexplained what qualifies as a name "not spoken with an extra S", and thus proposes, without citation or further explanation, the strange rule that the name Bridges can be rendered possessive without a post-apostrophe S, while the name Charles can't.

So one paywalled link, and one that disputes your own claim, and further muddies the pot with a rule of its own that seems to lack a formalized rationale. The authority here is underwhelming.

In any case, the 2 links I provided were just the quickest examples to hand. If you'd like more, the MLA style guide (https://style.mla.org/apostrophes-three-ways/) notes that its own guideline is to add the post-apostrophe S, but other styles permit its omission. The Punctuation Guide (https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/style.html) specifically points out that while the Chicago Manual of Style advocates for the post-apostrophe S, the Associated Press Stylebook does not. Grammarly (https://www.grammarly.com/blog/apostrophe/) explains that there is no consensus amongst style guides as to which format is correct. Here's a Los Angeles Times article by the creator of Grammar Underground about the lack of agreement on the issue, resulting in the employment of both formats within different editing styles (https://www.latimes.com/socal/glenda...904-story.html).

I'll assume your Oxford link states exactly what you claim it does; the point I was making is that there's no *universal* consensus on the issue amongst editorial bodies. Oxford is not the solitary arbiter of grammatical validity. If their pronouncement isn't supported by other linguistically informed outlets, then what we have is a fuzzy corner of English that lacks unanimity, and allows for legitimate variation.

Quote:
It honestly makes logical sense, otherwise it would not differentiate the plural at all, invalidating the entire plural form. The only case where it may be acceptable is if there are two or more people named Charles and you are using the possessive to refer to them both.
Not sure why this would be an issue. If you had two identically named people for whom you wanted to indicate collective possession of something, the plural form would be clarified by a preceding definite article like any other plural noun: "The [two] Charles' House" vs "Charles' House".

Quote:
But no, unlike the Oxford comma, this is not a debate.
See sources above for evidence there's a debate.

Quote:
You are welcome to continue to spell erroneously but bear in mind that it will negatively affect the overall credibility of your writing.
That's fine. I'm pretty secure in the credibility of my writing.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 04:17 AM

Oddly enough this exact discussion has been happening elsewhere recently
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:J...not_Brahms%27s
Old Oct 7, 2019, 07:59 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Oddly enough this exact discussion has been happening elsewhere recently
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:J...not_Brahms%27s
I adore reading things like this. Thank you so much for sharing!

(I heartily stand by s' for possession, not s's)
Old Oct 8, 2019, 08:41 AM

Very interesting read
The American Psychological Association style specifies like this.

====
In general, the possessive of a singular name is formed by adding an apostrophe and an s, even when a name ends in s; the possessive of a plural name is formed by adding an apostrophe. A list of examples follows as well as some exceptions.

Freud's & the Freuds'
James's & The Jameses'
Watson's & the Watsons'
Skinner's & the Skinners'

Exceptions: Use an apostrophe only with the singular form of names ending in unpronounced s (e.g., Descartes's). It is preferable to include of when referring to the plural form of names ending in unpronounced s(e.g., the home of the Descartes).
====
Old Oct 21, 2019, 06:44 AM
Trusted Editor

- Added DISCID so disc 3 can be queried
Old May 30, 2020, 10:48 AM

Regarding the s's or s' scenario. In school I was taught to always use s' no matter what, or I'd get marked down as wrong. My parents were the same, too. I live in Scotland.

However, I've discovered the rules have changed slightly now regarding this, although s' is still accepted, but apparently s's is preferable for singular nouns. For plural, it is still always just s'.

I will always use s' as that is what I was taught, and as such have been using my whole life, but I can certainly understand the confusion now.