VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:04 AM

Default Highlight tracks on mouse hover

Greetingz,

I have needed the feature a few times to determine the length of some tracks. For instance on the page SCDC-00358~9 | F-ZERO GX/AX Original Soundtracks the tracklist is so large that it's hard to know the length of a specific track.

Technically the solution would be to change the table rows color using the CSS hover property. If you're interested I have developed a quick demo in PHP but don't really know where to upload it. However it's a common design so I'm sure you know what I mean. Here is a screenshot of how it looks, the mouse is over track 25 : http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/disc101.png/

Let me know what you think. I know it won't revolutionize the website but I find it very useful so it's my modest way to contribute.

Cheers,
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:49 AM
VGMdb Administrator

That's good usability and is pretty simple to implement, so I've done it. Check out the hover on tracklists =)

I've made it a darker colour though, since the text is light.

Edit: turned it off again until I can code it as a preference option, since apparently people didn't like it.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:38 AM

lol, I vexed you? (by people he meant me )
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:50 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I spent an hour figuring out a problem with admincp and turns out it was gzip The sacrifices I make
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:59 AM

if there was a smiley with a soul that goes out of the body, you could use it aka :exausted:
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
That's good usability and is pretty simple to implement
Thanks I'm glad you found my idea interesting !

Quote:
Edit: turned it off again until I can code it as a preference option, since apparently people didn't like it.
Ahah you can't please everyone. Seriously I don't get why someone would be bothered by it considering you have to hover a track to highlight it. Still if there're already design options why not add a new one.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
I spent an hour figuring out a problem with admincp and turns out it was gzip The sacrifices I make
Sorry I know how much coding can be enduring. Isn't there an easy way to add an option in vBulletin or make the theme/skin customizable ? In Firefox there's a "Page Style" feature but it's quite limited. Moreover creating a new stylesheet just for one option seems inappropriate.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:07 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We actually have a basic preferences system (try clicking the "gear" icon on the top right). I just need to add a section to that, which I'll do over the weekend.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:08 AM

Hovering is already an option. If you don't like it, don't hover?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:40 PM
Trusted Editor

Agree with datscghe here. This would be a great feature. No one will ever agree with site design decisions, they shouldn't really even be up for discussion . Improvements are improvements as long as they're made with the right mindset.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:03 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I'd also like to vote against making it a decision per user. I think the feature is really handy, but since I clear my browsers cache regularly, it becomes very tedious having to change it all the time (assuming it's going to be a cache-based thing, like the album filtering feature)
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:14 AM

what arguments did people give against it?
if it actually impedes functionality in some other way then fine, but i can't see how it would.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:31 PM

Lightbulb

Guys your interest has woken up my neurons ! I can't believe I didn't think about it sooner. Indeed Stylish for Firefox can be used to tweak the stylesheet. Once the extension is installed open its options dialog and click "Write New Style". Enter "VGMdb" as a name and in the textarea copy & paste the following code :
Code:
@-moz-document domain(vgmdb.net) {
div#tracklist tr:hover {
background-color : #1B273D !important;
}
}
Now the tracks will highlight with the cool dark blue color used to design the sections. Enjoy !

Last edited by djexotronic; Dec 16, 2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:46 PM

Wow, I am so lost when I read this thread. I never got to try this, it looks really awesome by the screenshots. Actually, I'm constantly highlighting an entire track line with my mouse to basically get this effect. Simply moving over the track would be much easier.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:47 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djexotronic View Post
Guys your interest has woken up my neurons ! I can't believe I didn't think about it sooner. Indeed Stylish for Firefox can be used to tweak the stylesheet. Once the extension is installed open its options dialog and click "Write New Style". Enter "VGMdb" as a name and in the textarea copy & paste the following code :
Code:
@-moz-document domain(vgmdb.net) {
div#tracklist tr:hover {
background-color : #1B273D !important;
}
}
Now the tracks will highlight with the cool dark blue color used to design the sections. Enjoy !
Glad to see you've found a solution. And yep, that's essentially the same CSS I used