VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 3, 2010, 03:11 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm pretty sure that Kimitaka Matsumae and Jouji Ijima were never Sega's employees. Although both were SST Band members, only Hiro, Koichi Namiki and Takenobu Mitsuyoshi were from Sega Sound Team.

Here's what Matsumae said on ga-core's interview:
Quote:
並木くん、光吉くんはセガの社員だったから、そのまま会社の方針に従うまでですが、残りのメンバーは雇われ ミュージシャンの身ですから(笑)。特に僕はサイトロンに育ててもらって、そこでS.S.T. BANDを任されているわけですから、そのまま移籍ってのはあり得なかったですね。バンド名もね。
Also, Matsumae was more related to Scitron than Sega. That explains why he was Sound Operator in this album.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 03:22 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Interesting.

Also from a ga-core interview, Yoshihiro Ohno states that it was Kazusuke Obi of G.M.O. & Scitron who first came up with the name SST Band.

Question: So next, we have to talk about your ‘Game Music Band’.
Answer: I think this idea was already starting to sprout in the later days of G.M.O. The sound sections of several game companies started saying: “If we’re releasing records, then we want to be directly involved in the actual performance” so we decided we were going to need Team names (Band names) and that’s how Alph Lyla, the Kukeiha Club and Zuntata were born.

Question: Did you name the S.S.T. Band?
Answer: That was Mr. Obi’s doing. He created it with the double meaning of ‘Sega Sound Team’ and ‘Super Sonic Team’

Question: It’s still very interesting that the S.S.T. Band was the only project to be promoted under the leadership of Scitron/Pony Canyon though.
Answer: Don’t forget we made an original album as well (‘Blind Spot’). At that time we wanted to make an album with nothing but songs that could be used for a Sports tie-up, so they wrote a bunch of songs for us.

Last edited by Carl; Apr 3, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 07:45 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Wow, thanks a bunch for this translation, Carl! This interview was very revealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
At that time we wanted to make an album with nothing but songs that could be used for a Sports tie-up, so they wrote a bunch of songs for us.
This explain these releases:
VIRTUAL AUDIO F-1 GP THE EXHAUST SOUND
VIRTUAL AUDIO F-1 GP THE EXHAUST SOUND '92
I Can Survive F-1 Grand Prix 1992
Tachyon F-1 Grand Prix 1992

Well, I've removed Jouji Ijima and Matsumae from Sega Sound Team unit. Please let me know if anyone has any objection.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 09:37 PM
Trusted Editor

Is having the SEGA logo ok for being the group picture? I'm not too keen on the copyright rules for that. If anybody feels like it shouldn't be there, then by all means remove it.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:05 AM

Is Keisuke Koga actually a Sega employee? I couldn't find any information about him (mainly because vgmdb doesn't have kanji for his name, probably). The one album he's linked to here on vgmdb lists him with (M2) after his name, whereas some other people in the liner notes have (SEGA) after their names.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:18 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah he's definitely an M2 employee, good catch. I was overly aggressive assigning people to this group when I first made it (see Revoc's first post), and that one slipped by.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 05:18 PM

From what I remember (there may be a lot more), Kazuhiko Nagai, Kazuki Takagi, Yoji Ishii, Tetsuya Kawauchi, Tomoyuki Kawamura, You Takada, Keisuke Tsukahara, Mariko Nanba, Junko Shiratsu, Seirou Okamoto, and Fumie Kumatani have all left Sega. Please update this, thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 09:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm sure you're right about them, but do you have anything explicitly showing those folks have left? I'm talking stuff like social media/interviews, being credited like "Composer (A Company Other Than Sega)," a coworker saying they left, etc. I (personally) prefer not to mark someone as having left without having hard evidence, not just on the basis of them having vanished off the face of the planet.

I did go ahead and mark Tomoyuki Kawamura (Studio MUU2) and Yoji Ishii (Artoon/ARZEST/etc.) for sure.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:37 PM
Trusted Editor

Nah, I tried looking for evidence a while back myself and couldn't find anything official.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I'm sure you're right about them, but do you have anything explicitly showing those folks have left? I'm talking stuff like social media/interviews, being credited like "Composer (A Company Other Than Sega)," a coworker saying they left, etc. I (personally) prefer not to mark someone as having left without having hard evidence, not just on the basis of them having vanished off the face of the planet.

I did go ahead and mark Tomoyuki Kawamura (Studio MUU2) and Yoji Ishii (Artoon/ARZEST/etc.) for sure.
Takayuki Nakamura did confirm himself that You Takada left following work on ESWAT. Kazuhiko Nagai left back in the 90's, and from what I remember he eventually started working on non-Sega games. Mariko Nanba appears to have retired and got married to Tomoya Ohtani (not surprising, as they very often worked together). The rest just seem to have disappeared, though who knows, one of them could make a comeback like Sachio Ogawa did.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 01:23 AM
Trusted Editor

Source on Nanba and Ohtani? I haven't been following them on social media lately.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 02:54 AM

On other composers' friend lists, there is a person named "Ohtani Mariko". On the other names section of that profile, Nanba is listed. I wouldn't be surprised if she married Tomoya Ohtani, as they've very frequently worked closely.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 07:33 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdevilfx View Post
On other composers' friend lists, there is a person named "Ohtani Mariko". On the other names section of that profile, Nanba is listed. I wouldn't be surprised if she married Tomoya Ohtani, as they've very frequently worked closely.
For reference: https://www.facebook.com/nanba.mariko

大谷真理子 (南波)
Old Jul 13, 2017, 01:34 AM

According to Hideki Naganuma, Fumie Kumatani left Sega in 2008, but still composed for a few more games after leaving. Interestingly, most of her post-2008 stuff was done with Kenichi Tokoi.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki Morimoto
Speaking of music, I think the SST band, a group composed of Sega Sound Staff, was formed just around the time Phantasy Star was released. They did a show at a park outside the east exit of Ikebukuro station, and I remember they were worried if people would even come. It was a big turnout though. Many things didn’t go right because it was their first live show, but it was a rare sight back then to see a video game sound team form a band, and the park was packed with people. It was a huge success.
Via Shmuplations.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
According to Hideki Naganuma, Fumie Kumatani left Sega in 2008, but still composed for a few more games after leaving. Interestingly, most of her post-2008 stuff was done with Kenichi Tokoi.
I had a feeling she left; didn't realize it's been nearly ten years though. I wonder what she's been up to.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:25 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Good to finally know. Always was an underrated composer at the company, and it doesn't seem like she joined another after leaving.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 07:38 AM
VGMdb Staff

Added a couple people listed under Sound Team in several YAKUZA games.

Yusuke Sawai
Asami Takeo
Satoshi Okamura
Ai Fujihara (藤原 愛)

Fujihara so far seems to have only been credited in YAKUZA: LIKE A DRAGON, though maybe they'll surface in an earlier project later down the line. Interested to see where they show up next.