VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 10, 2015, 08:44 PM

I added the front and back scans hoping they would be bigger or clearer then the ones already submitted. I think they are equal specs.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 09:50 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by universalgenius12 View Post
I think I've had my fair share of scoldings, so hopefully i'll have them scanned to your liking Mrykul.
Scans are fine. I hope i labelled them right, because it's hard to guess when the booklet is scanned in single segments
Old Mar 11, 2015, 08:03 PM

I didn't know how to label them because I feel its more of a pamphlet rather than booklet. The red and blue side is the inside. Sakurai's note and the smash logo is the inside when folded.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 05:17 AM

My Smashing Soundtrack arrived 3/12 slightly smashed. Or cracked, really. A Cracking Soundtrack? But then the game would be called Super Crack Bros and Nintendo would never go for that.

Looks as though this will be Club Nintendo America's last hurrah as far as game music goes. I can only hope their replacement program is at least as soundtrack-centric if not more so. Though after IJustDontKnowAnymore relaying the info pertaining to Nintendo's disheartening prioritization of game music, I just don't know anymore, either. Still, thanks for passing it along. I was having a difficult time putting myself into the shoes of a company that refuses (or at least neglects) to release its musc. This helps me understand, albiet begrudgingly.

Hey, Nintendo? I'm grateful, but also: Phooey.

Retro Gamer's Top 100 Games of All Time voting now open!
http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/...e-voting-open/

Last edited by waxattax; Jun 1, 2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 03:58 PM

For those of you who ripped the CD into MP3 like me: What the hell do I put as "Album Artist?" There's so many composers chipping in here, and I absolutely loathe the "Various Artists" tag. What to do....

Also, I think there's an error in the composer credits:

2.09 Composition: Koji Kondo / Arrangement Supervisor: Hideki Sakamoto

^ The arrangement supervisor for this one is Rio Hamamoto according to various sources... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwJVXgPq7oQ http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_SSB4_...elda_series%29

^ This one was left blank. The composers for Mario Paint are Hirokazu Tanaka, Ryoji Yoshitomi, Kazumi Totaka. The arranger should be Saki Kasuga.

Last edited by NukaCola; Mar 16, 2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 05:19 PM

It wouldn't work for an actual album page on a website like this, but for my personal VG playlists, I just use Nintendo, Capcom, or whatever company as the artist name, then the game's title as the album title. (The former saves me the hassle of trying to figure out each and every composer for all the various tracks. )
Old Mar 17, 2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukaCola View Post
2.09 Composition: Koji Kondo / Arrangement Supervisor: Hideki Sakamoto

^ The arrangement supervisor for this one is Rio Hamamoto according to various sources... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwJVXgPq7oQ http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_SSB4_...elda_series%29
Incorrect. The game credits Sakamoto for the arrangement supervision. It even shows this in that Youtube clip!

Quote:

The arranger should be Saki Kasuga.
Do you have a source for this?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:25 AM

It's disappointing Brawl never got an official release. Gone through this and while it's quality, nothing really stands out or catches my attention. Still, it's better than nothing.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 06:59 PM

For "Light Plane (Vocal Mix)", should this corrected title be in the track list, or should it remain as it was printed?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF588 View Post
For "Light Plane (Vocal Mix)", should this corrected title be in the track list, or should it remain as it was printed?
What's usually done, even if the printing is wrong or anything like that, is whatever official media (website, linear notes, in-game credits) names the track, that's the name that's put here. I remember for LR:FFXIII, one of the tracks was named with a "?" on Square Enix's official music site, so that's what the track had in it until other media was found to have the proper spelling (if I'm right, the site had an "?" instead if an "a" in the track name).

What I'm interested in knowing is why the track names in the English tracklist also have the game it's from after the track name in brackets. Is this what shows up in iTunes or something? The track names in the booklet, which are shown to the right of the numbering, have the track names in bold, then underneath the game they're from in italics. Pretty sure if anything that signifies the difference between the track names and the games that they're from, if they were put in because of that. Otherwise, I'm not too sure about the purpose really. Even the Japanese tracklist omits the games where the tracks are from.

Also, looking at the credits, I see RiRiKA listed under the "Performed by" field, but looking at the notes I can't find specifically which track they performed in. Unless that is an alias for one of the people already performing for a track, in which case, shouldn't they be stated next to the alias they did perform under, for that track?

Last edited by IJustDontKnowAnymore; Apr 28, 2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustDontKnowAnymore View Post
What's usually done, even if the printing is wrong or anything like that, is whatever official media (website, linear notes, in-game credits) names the track, that's the name that's put here. I remember for LR:FFXIII, one of the tracks was named with a "?" on Square Enix's official music site, so that's what the track had in it until other media was found to have the proper spelling (if I'm right, the site had an "?" instead if an "a" in the track name).

What I'm interested in knowing is why the track names in the English tracklist also have the game it's from after the track name in brackets. Is this what shows up in iTunes or something? The track names in the booklet, which are shown to the right of the numbering, have the track names in bold, then underneath the game they're from in italics. Pretty sure if anything that signifies the difference between the track names and the games that they're from, if they were put in because of that. Otherwise, I'm not too sure about the purpose really. Even the Japanese tracklist omits the games where the tracks are from.
I was the one who did that. And you're exactly right, I put those in there because they're on the tracklist in the booklet, so I wanted to include them. (That, and personally it was annoying and uninformative having just the track names by themselves because "Title" and "Ending" tell us very little unless we can also see they're from Metroid and Yoshi's Story, respectively.) The brackets are because they are a distinct different part of the track name, and I wanted to signify that. Should I have chosen another way, other than brackets?

Also, I put the specific track title as "Light Plane [Pilotwings]" because the track list on the album itself did not add the "(Vocal Mix)" part so I left it out too. Does the in-game sound test trump the actual on-album track title in cases like this? (I know it does for Japanese track titles since we localize, but I don't know about cases where both are already in English.)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 09:06 AM
VGMdb Staff

There isn't a strict thing about "other" parts of track titles, such as these... descriptive ones. Some people put them, some don't.
It's a useful info in any case.

It should stay Light Plane [Pilotwings] on this print because that's how it appears in the booklet (although one can always argue on [Pilotwings] part).

Last edited by Efendija; Apr 28, 2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 03:24 PM

I may be replying to an old topic, but to anyone wondering, there is actually no difference between "Arrangement Supervisor" and "Arranger".

In recent Smash Bros. games (Brawl/3DS/Wii U) the sound test provides several information on the new arrangements regarding original composition, arrangement and copyright; however, the fields of "Composition" and "Arrangement" are reserved for companies (Nintendo, HAL Laboratory, Midiplex, etc.) rather than specific individuals, unless those were working freelance without representing any company (e.g., Motoi Sakuraba, Koji Hayama, Keiichi Suzuki, etc.).

Most of that secondary information appears on secondary menus and that might be why it's unknown to many people. Maybe the huge amount of musicians involved was the reason they decided to give specific arrangement credits (under the "Arrangement Supervisor" label), because otherwise I think only the companies would be credited.