VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 6, 2017, 04:33 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I changed the entry from the kickstarter to the steam release as it's already available.
EDIT: i am not sure the 2 tracks from Grant Kirkhope made it into this album... or even the game ?

Last edited by Myrkul; Oct 6, 2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 05:34 AM
VGMdb Staff

That Steam date is incorrect. It was released yesterday: https://twitter.com/HatInTime/status/916003843535548416

And I don't know if that's the complete tracklist since it says "and more" in the description.

Edit: Also, Humble Bundle is the publisher. Gears of Breakfast is the developer.
Edit2: Going off this tweet, I guess the couple of tracks that Grant composed are not on the soundtrack - https://twitter.com/HatInTime/status/915317536627085313

Last edited by cal; Oct 6, 2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 06:32 AM
VGMdb Staff

So apparently Grant's track is included... but only if you own the game. The soundtrack is missing track #5 but has a text file that says:
Quote:
hello!!!!! thank you for buying our soundtrack!
if you own A Hat in Time, check out the HatinTimeGame folder it has neat stuff that might fill a hole in your heart thx
If you go that folder you will find hatintime_05_herspaceship_streamed.mp3 which is the track "Her Spaceship" by Grant Kirkhope. He says on Twitter that he chose to not include it, so that's why it's a bonus track.

By the way, this composition ended up being re-used in Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle:
Her Spaceship (Hat in Time) - https://youtu.be/E1N0dC2XIhs?t=65
The Adventure Begins (Mario+Rabbids) - https://youtu.be/9ZILPADbjnA?t=15

The soundtrack also has a different cover from the one on the Steam page. I added it as an alternate front cover.

Last edited by cal; Dec 13, 2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:46 AM

There's apparently now a commercial release of the soundtrack outside of Steam. At least, today I found the OST in Tidal. Sadly, as expected, the Grant Kirkhope track is not included, and instead you get a computerized voice which says, the same message nextday quoted in the message above mine. It is a pity, for those who have that version for the lossless, y'know, OCD and all that stuff.

Should we say something about this in the entry? Not sure if this commercial release needs another entry just for the track change.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 04:51 AM

In a depressing turn of events, it seems that the lossless TIDAL version is lossy upscale... :/

Old Oct 23, 2017, 07:35 PM
VGMdb Staff

That's pretty shady. I wonder if the publisher supplied the files or if Tidal converted it on their end.

For your question: yeah, there should probably be something in the notes about Kirkhope's track.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
That's pretty shady. I wonder if the publisher supplied the files or if Tidal converted it on their end.

For your question: yeah, there should probably be something in the notes about Kirkhope's track.
I'm hoping it's TIDAL, since it seems the OST can't be found commercially anywhere else other than Steam and TIDAL, and it's not the first case TIDAL sells lossy sourced content and FLAC sadly, though it's not 99% of the cases.