VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 29, 2008, 12:02 PM

Default Ideas For New Data Fields

How about if for every album There was a field for the quantity of each catalog number that has been printed? For example, 'Project Majstic Mix A Tribute To Nobuo Uematsu Gold Edition' had a print run of 1500 copies. For most albums however, this information would likely be exceedingly difficult to find out. Maybe if any of us are comfortable in Japanese we can email or otherwise contact some of the publishers in Japan to ask them about the quantity of their catalog numbers that have been manufactured. Perhaps we could also have a field for the rarity of a catalog number based on this and/or other information.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

That'll dovetail nicely with the suggestion we had for a "limited" indicator. Original plan was to use a checkbox, but I guess we can go further and have a number field like you suggested. Good idea, I'll add this to the task list.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the positive encouragement and consideration of my suggestion, Gigablah :-).
Old Apr 30, 2008, 07:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Just as a rough indicator, a lot of vgm boxsets (Legend Series Boxes, Afterburner and Outrun boxes, RaySeries and Darius Boxes, etc..) have Limited print runs of 1,000 each.

As for individual albums, the number printed and the number sold could be two very different statistics, and both would be difficult to determine for most albums, other than ones which sold enough to land on a top-selling list on sales-ranking store charts.
Old May 3, 2008, 06:57 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Is there any reason we would need a field for # of albums sold/downloaded? I'd say if that info was out there, then, cool, add it into the Notes field. But otherwise it doesn't sound like a viable data field, unlike Print Run.
Old May 3, 2008, 07:36 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'll be able to work on the code once my exams finish next week.

The plan is just to have the print run field, # of albums sold/downloaded is way too unreliable a statistic to include.
Old May 3, 2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
I'll be able to work on the code once my exams finish next week.

The plan is just to have the print run field, # of albums sold/downloaded is way too unreliable a statistic to include.
I like your idea, but tracking downloads is akin to tracking emails being sent to to people-- there is no current technology that can do it, and tally up all downloads from files with specific hashes/MD5 checksums from all over the Internet. It would be easier to track # of albums sold, I think, but you would probably have to rely on the official distributor for that information, which would leave out sellers on Ebay, second-hand shops, etc. But it is a good idea, IMHO.