VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 20, 2016, 08:39 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Paladin View Post
I won't argue that point; at least, not in a sense. However, I would force people to have a little bit more of an educated opinion on certain things at times, if I did have that power. Often times, it can be quite lacking, which again, may at least partially be contributing to modern VGM perceptions.
Force people to have educated opinion? You don't need that really on modern days, as people more and more do hear game music somewhere somehow, either if it's on Olympics as music on gymnastic scene or just concert players practising the score and spreading it perhaps to their close family and friends.

Quote:
But if Jeremy Soule can be on MTV, methinks overall that things must not be quite as bad for the genre. It's mainly that there are simply too few names that are being recognized across the VGM industry, and until there are more of the Big Fish in the VGM sea, things will probably stay as they are for a while.
Soule has been on MTV? Nice, even if his work is bit mediocre for me. I would rather see guys like Austin Wintory or Jake Kaufman to be the one thing that really pops up into the big mass of people.

Quote:
A little more music education wouldn't hurt in general across the nation, but as long as military budgets trump everything and public school funding remains dismal, the weekly top 40 (or whoever it is that the big music networks shove down everyone's throat next) will probably be all that some people ever recognize as "good".
Music education still doesn't mean that VGM would be glorified the BEST of the BEST. But yes, more money on education, regardless whatkind of (Unless it's some earth is 2000 year old creationism bullshit).

And honestly, does it really matter is someone enjoys Top 40 stuff? Some of them are really catchy and good in the end, or is this just more of a being able to stroke own ego if genre X or Y gets popular.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 08:40 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
The irony here is that the last time I checked, the video game industry is already starting to surpass the movie industry in terms of revenues that are being achieved...
Not to say that people who stream/make game videos are getting news stories made of, like PewDiePie. And getting rich. So yeah, game business is pretty damn major business already. And will get getting bigger and bigger. And that means more good indie stuff for me.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
But gee, that would probably mean that people would actually take the time to learn a thing or two about music...make their brain hurt too much or some such thing. Think...think...think...ouch! That hurt!

A little more music education wouldn't hurt in general across the nation, but as long as military budgets trump everything and public school funding remains dismal, the weekly top 40 (or whoever it is that the big music networks shove down everyone's throat next) will probably be all that some people ever recognize as "good".
exactly i agree we need more music education VGM is a unique genre & more people should hear it!
Old Feb 20, 2016, 08:49 PM

Location: Deciding whether to do Secret of Mana or Wild Arms for my next album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post

Music education still doesn't mean that VGM would be glorified the BEST of the BEST. But yes, more money on education, regardless whatkind of (Unless it's some earth is 2000 year old creationism bullshit).

And honestly, does it really matter is someone enjoys Top 40 stuff? Some of them are really catchy and good in the end, or is this just more of a being able to stroke own ego if genre X or Y gets popular.
Well, to elaborate, by education, "informed opinions" would suffice. I pretty much mean that I wish that people would at least have a good understanding of what talent is , even if we don't share the same tastes. The most analogous scenario I can think of is the SNL "More Cowbell" comedy. Sadly, there are people out there that think that someone who can do nothing more than keep a simple 4/4 beat can rival or outperform a world-class musician playing in Carnegie hall.

I am primarily summing up about 30 years worth of experience in the performing arts. I get a chance to see a lot of people with vast amounts of training fall victim to popularity contests, so in those types of situations, it is rather frustrating that people can often times have no idea what talent entails.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Well, to elaborate, by education, "informed opinions" would suffice. I pretty much mean that I wish that people would at least have a good understanding of what talent is , even if we don't share the same tastes. The most analogous scenario I can think of is the SNL "More Cowbell" comedy. Sadly, there are people out there that think that someone who can do nothing more than keep a simple 4/4 beat can rival or outperform a world-class musician playing in Carnegie hall.

I am primarily summing up about 30 years worth of experience in the performing arts. I get a chance to see a lot of people with vast amounts of training fall victim to popularity contests, so in those types of situations, it is rather frustrating that people can often times have no idea what talent entails.
yes it's so sad i mean game composers are very talented esecially composers of games on the SNES & NES considering what they were able to do despite hardware limitations so i think everybody should be able to experience the music of these talented & hard-working composers!

Last edited by mikurotoro; Feb 20, 2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 08:59 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:

Well, I have no musical education nowhatsoever, so I don't much give a crap's ass about talent, e.g. give me two guitarist and I couldn't say which one has more talents in the art of guitar playing, but for sure I can say which one sounds better to me. And that's nothing to do with popularity. And I think that's the thing for most of the people who aren't musically trained/educated. Music is more than just talent, (but then why the fuck I'm saying this when you 100% sure know it too )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikurotoro View Post
exactly i agree we need more music education VGM is a unique genre & more people should hear it!
Sadly VGM isn't a genre, or are you saying that Super Mario World and Madworld are in the same genre?

Also, game music is getting there, as I've been touting for few times already, just check this. I mean even Hollywood nowadays notices game music. Sheesh.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
yes it's so sad i mean game composers are very talented esecially composers of games on the SNES & NES considering what they were able to do despite hardware limitations so i think everybody should be able to experience these talented composers!
You might think this is something new to the past 100 years, but believe it or not, even many masterpieces of many famous classical composers from the 1700's and 1800's were frowned upon in their time.

So take heart, sometimes it just takes a few hundred years for someone to get the respect the deserve
Old Feb 20, 2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
. Music is more than just talent, (but then why the fuck I'm saying this when you 100% sure know it too )
Sometimes, yes. My favorite composer of all time, for example, couldn't sing worth squat, always out tune, etc...but he wrote so many of the greatest jazz standards ever (while singing along to them) that people couldn't help but to recognize what was really going on in the music...
Old Feb 21, 2016, 05:58 AM

I would note it's not really proper to call VGM a 'genre' in the same sense pop/country/rock/metal/etc are.

I also have some other words, but they'd probably at the least get a mod to yell at me.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
The irony here is that the last time I checked, the video game industry is already starting to surpass the movie industry in terms of revenues that are being achieved...
Another irony here is that many people are cutting the cord with television and using the internet as their main source of entertainment.

To anyone who plans on doing any business in a niche market, I recommend reading The Long Tail.

Also, to the OP: you probably already know this, but VGMusic.com is a pretty good source for finding music scores (in MIDI format).
Old Feb 21, 2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Another irony here is that many people are cutting the cord with television and using the internet as their main source of entertainment.

To anyone who plans on doing any business in a niche market, I recommend reading The Long Tail.

Also, to the OP: you probably already know this, but VGMusic.com is a pretty good source for finding music scores (in MIDI format).
yeah i know about vgmusic.com but is there a way i can load the MIDI scores into the DAW so i can look at the song structure?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
yeah i know about vgmusic.com but is there a way i can load the MIDI scores into the DAW so i can look at the song structure?

Should be pretty easy, just drag and drop the file into a midi track and it should take care of the rest. Or just open the file from within the daw as long as it supports midi.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post

Looks like a great read from what I can tell, I'll check it out some more. Statistics are fun.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Should be pretty easy, just drag and drop the file into a midi track and it should take care of the rest. Or just open the file from within the daw as long as it supports midi.
thanks! the DAW i use does support MIDI so im gonna try it!
Old Feb 22, 2016, 06:01 AM

If your DAW doesn't support MIDI....you need a new DAW
Old Feb 22, 2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
If your DAW doesn't support MIDI....you need a new DAW
Yeah...but some of the cheapos out there that want everything for free in all likelihood are using something that only does recording and came as bundled software with a cheap 20 dollar microphone, expecting it to come with all of the benefits of a major application.

Last edited by Jazz Paladin; Feb 22, 2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 03:01 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned.. But if i don't know a song, from the NES/ SNES era, I can use NSFtoMidi and SPCtoMidi. It's super easy to use and sometimes you need to run it through a MIDI orch program before putting it on your DAW. (I used to use Voyetra Producer MIDI Edition, but since that became turtle beach and stopped supporting my license I moved on to MIDI editor, which is very free.) After that, you just need to clean it up. Some songs are not following the Meter it was given and you will just need to line it up to it's real beat x3.